Using flex fuel? Please check for hose disintegration.

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We have noticed a sharp increase in the number of FK8 support problems where the cause is fuel contamination. The source of the contamination is fuel hose from flex fuel kits, presumably breaking down from the ethanol content, but it also might be from the hose assembly.

We've noticed this with customers using our Fuel System, but it could apply to those using the stock fuel pump(s). The symptoms we see is that the fuel pressure not meeting the target fuel pressure at high rpm, even through the fuel pump duty is well below 100%. Upon disassembly there are little particles of rubber in the HPFP and the LPFP sock is stained black.

Honda Civic 10th gen Using flex fuel? Please check for hose disintegration. !cid_081039CCE0DB44A68DA5C4D33E399550@DESKTOPTRPO833

The particles will find their way into the high pressure pump, where they clog the intake filter. They also will find their way through the high pressure pump into the injectors, which is not good.

Honda Civic 10th gen Using flex fuel? Please check for hose disintegration. !cid_ii_kpobr2wa2

It seems the contamination will back flows upon key off back into the fuel tank because the sock on the low pressure fuel pump is often contaminated too.

Honda Civic 10th gen Using flex fuel? Please check for hose disintegration. 20210622_172233

So what should you do? Don't panic. If you have a flex fuel kit then be on the look out for fuel pressure problems. I would also recommend that you inspect the HPFP low pressure inlet for any signs of contamination. Inspecting the low pressure fuel sock is much more of a chore but worth doing if you have fuel pressure problems not related to the fuel pump just running out of volume. I would suggest that you pump a little fuel from the low pressure line into a clear container, but someone would probably find a way to set themselves on fire, so don't do that.

Here's two bonus photos that the forum will not allow me to delete

Honda Civic 10th gen Using flex fuel? Please check for hose disintegration. 1624568749143
Honda Civic 10th gen Using flex fuel? Please check for hose disintegration. IMG_4298.JPG

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Has anyone brought this to PRL/Sirimotos attention yet by chance?

HondaRedbullF1

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
This meaning flex fuel will continue to deteriorate the fuel hose which is another issue in the long run... aside from the ones mentioned by hondata.

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dash app can monitor fuel pressure, target fuel pressure and duty. Guage range could be improved, but they are there.

Honda Civic 10th gen Using flex fuel? Please check for hose disintegration. IMG_4299.JPG

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This meaning flex fuel will continue to deteriorate the fuel hose which is another issue in the long run... aside from the ones mentioned by hondata.
It depends on what the root cause of the problem is. Ethanol rated fuel hose should last forever and not deteriorate. I've had some in cars 15 years on E78 and they are fine.

But Hondata does not make fuel lines so we cannot say what the root cause is, only what we see.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Dash app can monitor fuel pressure, target fuel pressure and duty. Guage range could be improved, but they are there.

IMG_4299.JPG
Weird, I could never find it in the iPhone app. Never use the dash app much.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
From what I’ve seen the issue was in assembly, not that the line was degrading over time. But I haven’t seen it all.

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
Haven't see that issue yet after a Year with sirimoto kit, but I do have to mention that I only use E30 on track and some canyon runs that will used up ethanol as soon as possible. No daily with Ethanol.

jonasblack

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
The issue with the deterioration is rare from what PRL support has said in private conversation. Presumably, only select batches around March-April 2021 were effected. I was told there was an issue with the Gates hoses. Not PRL assembly. They are working with the effected owners to help with damages. I’m just a messenger, PRL PR will need to provide an official response. I was the lucky one that got to troubleshoot this issue first. ? @Hondata and @PRL Motorsports have been amazing to work with. Don’t de-value their products because of this one mishap. @kefi said he’s giving away free tunes for everyone effected… ;)

Edit: Made a mistake. Sometimes it's the assembly. But mostly caused by hoses.

Last edited:

websitesdown

First Name
Bee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI , 2023 Civic Sport
Country flag
I had an issue this morning with my fuel pressure dropping off and I have the prl flex kit that I purchased in September last year. I'm talking with prl right now.

I'm trying to figure out the quickest easiest way to see if it's contamination when I get back from work and make it back to my car today.

websitesdown

First Name
Bee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI , 2023 Civic Sport
Country flag
Update: The issue ended up being a loose connection to my speedometer adjustment controller that I installed.. I noticed my speedometer reporting 0mph occasionally while driving, checked the power connection, ground etc and it stopped!

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Update: The issue ended up being a loose connection to my speedometer adjustment controller that I installed.. I noticed my speedometer reporting 0mph occasionally while driving, checked the power connection, ground etc and it stopped!
yknow there's a way to adjust the speedometer from Hondata

Ghostype_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo Fr-s, Rx8 -ls2 , 2017 camaro ss1le, 2017 Civic type R #1353
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Companies responsible for the kits should be supplying us with proper fuel lines. Thanks @Hondata for the information.
Sponsored