Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Maybe.....:hmm: a little siphon pump and two large cans in the garage would be a solution. To go on a joy ride, you would drain the everyday gas to the green can and replace with the weekend gas from the red can. After the spirited drive, reinstall the everyday commuting fuel....:coffee:
Sponsored

OP
OP

bob

First Name
Stabby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic hatchback
Country flag
This strikes me as a pretty significant flaw with OP's plan.

So you want to stick with 87, and then add premium whenever you feel like going for a fun drive. But that won't work unless you're already low on fuel. If you have a half tank or more, you'll want to postpone that fun drive for a few days until the needle drops...or you'll have to to waste a bunch of gas just so you can add enough premium to get within shouting distance of the correct octane.

This just sounds like a huge hassle to me. I mean, do whatever makes you happy - different strokes for different folks, as they say. And you won't hurt your car if you stick with that plan. Personally, I'd rather keep premium in the tank 24/7, so I can go on a spirited drive whenever I feel like it. Particularly if I'd paid a few hundred bucks to tune my car.
I'll start pumping in 91 gas a week before my intended spirited drive. If I find it to be that much of a hassle, I'll just stick with 91, it's not that big of a deal.

Dolfandrus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 ctr
Country flag
Maybe.....:hmm: a little siphon pump and two large cans in the garage would be a solution. To go on a joy ride, you would drain the everyday gas to the green can and replace with the weekend gas from the red can. After the spirited drive, reinstall the everyday commuting fuel....:coffee:
this

stevessvt

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Modern Steel Metallic Civic Si
Country flag
Seems like a lot of hard work to save a couple dollars.
Hmmmmmm. Next Thursday I want to hammer it through 3 gears one time. Better start swapping out gasses.

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I think OP has a point as premium gas in communist Calif is over $3.00 per gal, whereas it only costs half as much in the rest of our god loving country. The only consolation is that wages in Calif is also twice as high so if the engine blows up by using 87 octane, it won't dent the pocket as much. I ran Ktuner Stage 0 on 87 for over a year without any issue, so you'll be fine.

1589614256118.png

1589614285268.png
Man, you guys have it cheap in California...compared to us up across the border.
As of today...
87 is currently $1.159 / L (= $4.43 / gallon)
91 is currently $1.389 / L (= $5.26 / gallon)
94 should be $1.40+ / L ....(= $5.30+ / gallon)

94 which is what I fuel up to keep knock control in check with TSP Stage 1 tune...

I'll start pumping in 91 gas a week before my intended spirited drive. If I find it to be that much of a hassle, I'll just stick with 91, it's not that big of a deal.
ECO mode just brings the boost down to stock levels (~16.5 PSI), but everything else .... don't quote me on this ... but I believe throttle response / turbo spool / etc is still unchanged vs non-ECO mode.

I would suggest that you run a log using the built-in logger within KTuner, running 87 gas, and see if everything is in check. Give yourself a piece-of-mind if you will.
In the log, check the:
- Knock Count
- Knock Control
- Knock Retard

Use both ECO mode on and off.
Then you can do the same with 91 gas in the tank.