First Name
Stabby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic hatchback
Country flag
I actually have 2 questions:

1. For stage 2 dual calibration, I noticed it says factory boost in ECO mode. What exactly does this mean? Does this mean when I press the eco button, my car will drive the same as factory D mode? And when I shift into D mode, I get 21psi? If so, what happens in S mode?

Also, can I just leave the car in eco mode and just use 87 gas and only add premium gas when I feel like doing some spirited driving?

2. My car is too far away to reach my home's wifi. Can I hotspot my phone's data to my laptop to upload the tune?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
87 isn't recommended for any tuned car, "eco mode" or not. The dual tune means you get 21psi normally and something similar to stock power when the econ button is pressed. I say similar because any throttle/turbo response tweaks are applied globally so it will feel quicker than stock.

S mode has nothing to do with the tune; it's strictly a transmission program.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I actually have 2 questions:

1. For stage 2 dual calibration, I noticed it says factory boost in ECO mode. What exactly does this mean? Does this mean when I press the eco button, my car will drive the same as factory D mode? And when I shift into D mode, I get 21psi? If so, what happens in S mode?

Also, can I just leave the car in eco mode and just use 87 gas and only add premium gas when I feel like doing some spirited driving?

2. My car is too far away to reach my home's wifi. Can I hotspot my phone's data to my laptop to upload the tune?
1. Means when you press Econ mode the tune reverts to “stock” programming.
I believe for k tuner it’s
Stage 0 is 87+, 91 recommended
stage 1 is 87+, 91 HIGHLY recommended
Stage 2 is 91 required
Not exactly sure though I have hondata, but if your going to tune a car I don’t get why you would want to run lower grade fuel, just stick with premium fuel unless your on a factory calibration (unless the car states otherwise, stay with premium fuel for Si and Type R)

2. yes you can.

Last edited:
OP
OP

bob

First Name
Stabby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic hatchback
Country flag
1. Means when you press Econ mode the tune reverts to “stock” programming.
I believe for k tuner it’s
Stage 0 is 87+, 91 recommended
stage 1 is 87+, 91 HIGHLY recommended
Stage 2 is 91 required
Not exactly sure though I have hondata, but if your going to tune a car I don’t get why you would want to run lower grade fuel, just stick with premium fuel unless your on a factory calibration (unless the car states otherwise, stay with premium fuel for Si and Type R)

2. yes you can.
I have civic hatchback, so I can use regular fuel. I plan on driving in regular mode for most of the time, so don't see why using regular fuel will be an issue. Thanks.

OP
OP

bob

First Name
Stabby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic hatchback
Country flag
87 isn't recommended for any tuned car, "eco mode" or not. The dual tune means you get 21psi normally and something similar to stock power when the econ button is pressed. I say similar because any throttle/turbo response tweaks are applied globally so it will feel quicker than stock.

S mode has nothing to do with the tune; it's strictly a transmission program.
Thanks for clarifying. Follow up question, will tuning the car affect any of my stored info? For example, will it wipe my stored mpg? Will it reset my oil life indicator? I just want to cover all my bases before I buy this.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for clarifying. Follow up question, will tuning the car affect any of my stored info? For example, will it wipe my stored mpg? Will it reset my oil life indicator? I just want to cover all my bases before I buy this.
Not at all.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have civic hatchback, so I can use regular fuel. I plan on driving in regular mode for most of the time, so don't see why using regular fuel will be an issue. Thanks.
Yes a hatchback is designed to run 87 from the factory but once it’s tuned it’s no longer designed to run on 87. I mean by all means do what you like it’s your car, but that being said ktuner says it’s doable they just don’t recommend it themselves
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/ktuner-stage-1-with-87-octane.21412/

OP
OP

bob

First Name
Stabby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic hatchback
Country flag
And if you can’t afford the extra in gas then might as well keep the car bone stock to save more.
It's not about being able to afford it. I just don't want to spend more on gas if I don't need to, especially if most of my driving is going to be below 3k rpm.

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
My sport Hatchback requires premium gas from factory.

Also if your planning on spending $450+ on a Ktuner, can't you afford the extra $1.37 every time and fill up with premium?

OP
OP

bob

First Name
Stabby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic hatchback
Country flag
My sport Hatchback requires premium gas from factory.

Also if your planning on spending $450+ on a Ktuner, can't you afford the extra $1.37 every time and fill up with premium?
I have a sport hatchback too. Premium gas is not required, it's recommended for the full 180 HP as mentioned in the manual.
Assuming I drive 12k miles a year, it can add up to $120. I don't want to throw away $120 for no reason.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't want to throw away $120 for no reason.
The reason is to get more "smiles per gallon". Well worth the extra $10 a month.

OP
OP

bob

First Name
Stabby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic hatchback
Country flag
The reason is to get more "smiles per gallon". Well worth the extra $10 a month.
I agree. However, like I've said, I will add premium gas if I feel like taking my car out for a fun drive. For normal driving, like to the grocery store, I have no intention of driving it past 3k rpm, especially since my engine will still be cold.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I agree. However, like I've said, I will add premium gas if I feel like taking my car out for a fun drive. For normal driving, like to the grocery store, I have no intention of driving it past 3k rpm, especially since my engine will still be cold.
Be sure to have an empty tank when putting in premium or at least a quart tank till empty to optimize your tune, if you fill up with half a tank or less you basically made mid-grade fuel and will still get timing Pulled back
Sponsored