Pumpkinking85

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic si coupe
Country flag
No sweat. I wasn't trying to convince anyone to do something they should or should not do. I could really care less, to each its own as they say. My most recent comment was made just to clarify the details on what is actually happens inside the engine with oil circulating through.

I think we should let the poor horse go, she's dead and can't take anymore beating

*TAPS begins to play*

Agreed. Cheers
Sponsored

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No sweat. I wasn't trying to convince anyone to do something they should or should not do. I could really care less, to each its own as they say. My most recent comment was made just to clarify the details on what is actually happens inside the engine with oil circulating through.

I think we should let the poor horse go, she's dead and can't take anymore beating
*TAPS begins to play*

Agreed. Cheers
I too am done beating the horse! I think this is the most friendly an oil discussion has ever ended on.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Yes sir, I believe she is just breathing her last...good bye poor horse, and may you rest in peace!

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I know this thread has been beaten to death, but I just have one more thing to add to this, and I will shut-up on this subject forever. Yesterday the mechanic I take my cars too changed out my current 0W30 to Idemitsu full synthetic 0w-20 (he told me he puts this oil in all his customers Honda's). He told me he would just charge me the cost of the oil, which was $18 (he normally charges me $60 which includes full synthetic, filter and tire rotation and labor) so it was a no brainer. I can tell you that it made a difference in performance. The engine is now smoother, acceleration is better, I have better pickup in lower gears, as the car was slightly sluggish if I got around 2000 rpm. I can now crawl in 2nd gear and don't have to downshift to 1st, and boost seems to be coming on much sooner when I need it. I don't know if this is because the oil is new, I will find out as I put on the miles

I have never had issues with 0W20, I have been using it in both my Toyotas in all kinds of conditions such as mountain roads and long trips in over 100 degree F, and both have over 100K on them and have never had any type of engine problems. Yes, both are NA V6 engines, but both have been driven very hard over the years in harsh conditions.

Once the warranty period expires on my Si, I will then feel free to explore other options. Thanks guys for all your input on this thread!

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know this thread has been beaten to death, but I just have one more thing to add to this, and I will shut-up on this subject forever. Yesterday the mechanic I take my cars too changed out my current 0W30 to Idemitsu full synthetic 0w-20 (he told me he puts this oil in all his customers Honda's). He told me he would just charge me the cost of the oil, which was $18 (he normally charges me $60 which includes full synthetic, filter and tire rotation and labor) so it was a no brainer. I can tell you that it made a difference in performance. The engine is now smoother, acceleration is better, I have better pickup in lower gears, as the car was slightly sluggish if I got around 2000 rpm. I can now crawl in 2nd gear and don't have to downshift to 1st, and boost seems to be coming on much sooner when I need it. I don't know if this is because the oil is new, I will find out as I put on the miles

I have never had issues with 0W20, I have been using it in both my Toyotas in all kinds of conditions such as mountain roads and long trips in over 100 degree F, and both have over 100K on them and have never had any type of engine problems. Yes, both are NA V6 engines, but both have been driven very hard over the years in harsh conditions.

Once the warranty period expires on my Si, I will then feel free to explore other options. Thanks guys for all your input on this thread!
Dont we feel like our cars always drive better after an oil change :)

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Dont we feel like our cars always drive better after an oil change :)
Yes we definitely do! Hopefully this is not just in my mind, we will see in a few months

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
placebo does wonders.
I have been driving long enough to know when there is a perceivable improvement in performance (I can probably safely say that most of you were not even born or were in diapers when I started driving), and there is, definitely at the low end, between 2000 and 3500 rpm. The improvement is significant enough for me where I can comfortably say I made the right choice. In fact it is enough where if Honda told me I could improve performance more by putting in 0W16 in my engine and it won't void my warranty, I would put that shit in in a second.

My choice was right for me for the way I use my car, and for those of you who use higher weight oils, that choice may suit your needs, such as those of you who pound your car on the track (or road) and have modified your cars to gain more power and boost. More power to you! Now I will just shut up....

nickhaldin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan; 1997 Mazda Miata
Let me beat the dead horse a little longer ;). Whats wrong with using the recommended 0W-20?
Right??? I read through this whole thread and the whole time I’m thinking: “why is this even an issue?”

Honda spends millions of dollars on R&D. They’ve built engines for Indy car and formula 1. Their cars are consistently reliable to an extent most other manufacturers have not been able to achieve. And yet, someone on a forum says that they have a better idea as to what oil to put in their Honda?:dunno: And then go so far as to say Honda is trying to get more money out of people by putting 0W20 in the cars? Come on, not everything is a conspiracy :doh:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
That's like basically saying nothing from the factory can be improved upon since they spent millions of dollars on R&D.

Idk about honda trying to get more money out by putting 0w-20 lol. I can bet running 0w-20 has a lot to do with improving fuel economy numbers.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Right??? I read through this whole thread and the whole time I’m thinking: “why is this even an issue?”

Honda spends millions of dollars on R&D. They’ve built engines for Indy car and formula 1. Their cars are consistently reliable to an extent most other manufacturers have not been able to achieve. And yet, someone on a forum says that they have a better idea as to what oil to put in their Honda?:dunno: And then go so far as to say Honda is trying to get more money out of people by putting 0W20 in the cars? Come on, not everything is a conspiracy :doh:
yeah honda truly knows beat. their billion dollar engineering has produced nothing but flawless manual transmissions over the years (sarcasm)
Sponsored