Used Type R Price. What's a good price?

23Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK8, '06 AP2
Country flag
I get using a cc to get massive reward points but I'll be damned as the seller to eat the 3% service fee. Oh well, I digress.
Sponsored

18CarEnthusiast18

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I get using a cc to get massive reward points but I'll be damned as the seller to eat the 3% service fee. Oh well, I digress.
Like the person who suggested the idea said build the 3% fee in. Also like I said if you find someone or a dealer willing to do this on a CC you best assume you left at least 3% on the table that you could have gotten off had you kept negotiating. haha

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
I was thinking the exact same thing, what dealer would eat the cc service charge.

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Heck, most cars are coming with an automatic these days and I'm ok with it. GT3 is nice but I think the C8 will destroy it at the track.
I'm sure the C8 will be fast and beat the GT3 on the race track, but I'm more concerned with the driver engagement and pure fun of a manual transmission than ultimate lap times.:drive:

NinjamanCTR

Space Force Special Forces
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2018 Ford Expedition Limited, 1998 Ford Contour aka the beater.
I'm sure the C8 will be fast and beat the GT3 on the race track, but I'm more concerned with the driver engagement and pure fun of a manual transmission than ultimate lap times.:drive:
I've owned many high end cars, both manual and automatic, and I honestly appreciate both types of transmissions (I own a CTR so that's obvious). I am not sure if you ever had the pleasure of driving a car with a DCT or PDK but they are light years ahead of manual transmissions and they offer quite an exciting and engaging driver experience. The idea of rowing through gears will quickly leave your mind when you realize how fast a PDK transmission shifts and how much fun you can have with one.

That said, I used to be a manual purist but I eventually came to a realization that they are dying a slow death and they are inferior to the high-end automatic counterparts. Let's see what happens!

18CarEnthusiast18

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I've owned many high end cars, both manual and automatic, and I honestly appreciate both types of transmissions (I own a CTR so that's obvious). I am not sure if you ever had the pleasure of driving a car with a DCT or PDK but they are light years ahead of manual transmissions and they offer quite an exciting and engaging driver experience. The idea of rowing through gears will quickly leave your mind when you realize how fast a PDK transmission shifts and how much fun you can have with one.

That said, I used to be a manual purist but I eventually came to a realization that they are dying a slow death and they are inferior to the high-end automatic counterparts. Let's see what happens!
I personally have driven PDK's in some Porches, but still prefer manual for a car that will be daily driven first and track driven occasional or not at all. No argument from me that a PDK could beat a manual around a track driven by the same person as the PDK will likely win hands down, but as I tell people who try to sell me on autos or try to sell others on autos in threads like this is do you drive the car in question more on a track or more daily driving on the street. If the car is a track can and all you want is fast then yes PDK or sophisticated auto is the right choice, BUT if you primarily drive it daily driving and on the streets get what you are going to enjoy. For some that might still be the auto, but for me everyday driving I want a manual so I can feel more in touch with the car and driving will be fun. I get so board driving my wife's auto if I am by myself. Driving becomes more of a task and I find myself checking my GPS every few min on how much longer til I get there kinda deal. haha

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
I personally have driven PDK's in some Porches, but still prefer manual for a car that will be daily driven first and track driven occasional or not at all. No argument from me that a PDK could beat a manual around a track driven by the same person as the PDK will likely win hands down, but as I tell people who try to sell me on autos or try to sell others on autos in threads like this is do you drive the car in question more on a track or more daily driving on the street. If the car is a track can and all you want is fast then yes PDK or sophisticated auto is the right choice, BUT if you primarily drive it daily driving and on the streets get what you are going to enjoy. For some that might still be the auto, but for me everyday driving I want a manual so I can feel more in touch with the car and driving will be fun. I get so board driving my wife's auto if I am by myself. Driving becomes more of a task and I find myself checking my GPS every few min on how much longer til I get there kinda deal. haha
I couldn't agree more, if you are buying a track focused vehicle and and going for ultimate track times then a PDK or the like is definitely the way to go.
My daily will be the Type R, and I was going to say "my fun car" but the Type R is also a fun car, so I will say my extreme fun car (hopefully a manual GT3) will be mostly driven on back roads and the occasional track day where lap times are not important, I prefer a manual transmission.
Plus, the way things are looking these days with Ferrari, Lamborghini, Audi and most others going exclusively with automatics, the manuals in the older Ferrari's and similar sports cars will definitely appreciate in value much more than their automatic counterparts.
Today for example a Ferrari F430 with a manual gated 6 speed transmission with fetch $100,000 more than a comparability equipped automatic.
This gent explains perfectly (while driving my dream car), why I personally prefer a manual transmission, and why it's demise will be very sad indeed.
Is there any other car on sale today that red lines at 9,000rpm?
Enjoy.

Last edited:

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
I see more Teslas and current gen M cars than Type Rs. There are 3 Audi S cars at work.

I still have not seen another Type R in the wild yet and I have to widen my search to 150 miles before I can find a new one for sale on cargurus.
You should try calling local dealerships. I bought mine at a dealership that had a waiting list and never listed any of them for sale online. I did have to wait for the car but it was worth it to me for MSRP.

NinjamanCTR

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2018 Ford Expedition Limited, 1998 Ford Contour aka the beater.
So in all that, you're telling me a manual gets you off? More power to you, man.

NinjamanCTR

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I couldn't agree more, if you are buying a track focused vehicle and and going for ultimate track times then a PDK or the like is definitely the way to go.
My daily will be the Type R, and I was going to say "my fun car" but the Type R is also a fun car, so I will say my extreme fun car (hopefully a manual GT3) will be mostly driven on back roads and the occasional track day where lap times are not important, I prefer a manual transmission.
Plus, the way things are looking these days with Ferrari, Lamborghini, Audi and most others going exclusively with automatics, the manuals in the older Ferrari's and similar sports cars will definitely appreciate in value much more than their automatic counterparts.
Today for example a Ferrari F430 with a manual gated 6 speed transmission with fetch $100,000 more than a comparability equipped automatic.
This gent explains perfectly (while driving my dream car), why I personally prefer a manual transmission, and why it's demise will be very sad indeed.
Is there any other car on sale today that red lines at 9,000rpm?
Enjoy.
Funny thing is you can find videos discussing why modern automatics are better. Point? You can find anybody who agrees with your opinion online. LOL.

OP
OP
Will Solo

Will Solo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR Type R #1124
Country flag
Damn we really got off topic in this thread! All I wanted to know what a fair price for a used CTR was and we got to talk about manuals and everything else!

Iilac

Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, CTR, TUNDRA, MAXIMA, CX9
Country flag
Damn we really got off topic in this thread! All I wanted to know what a fair price for a used CTR was and we got to talk about manuals and everything else!
Well let's get back on topic. Did the dealerships accept any of your offers?

OP
OP
Will Solo

Will Solo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR Type R #1124
Country flag
Well let's get back on topic. Did the dealerships accept any of your offers?
So far I've only talked to the dealer with the CW. I told him about the accident and he's trying to get more info. I emailed the one with the RR yesterday and will probably talk to them today.

CivicRGTS

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman GTS, Civic Type R, CRV Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interestingly enough, I know Someone who was seriously looking into the CTR until he snagged a white BMW M4 for $43K with around 34K miles. I think a lot of people are going for these slightly used M and S cars rather than getting a brand new CTR. I guess some people can't fathom dropping almost $40K on a Civic when they can get an M car for a tad bit more. Which is why I hardly see any CTR's in my area at all on the streets.
There are several YouTube links on repair costs on BMW M cars. Take a look

18CarEnthusiast18

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
So far I've only talked to the dealer with the CW. I told him about the accident and he's trying to get more info. I emailed the one with the RR yesterday and will probably talk to them today.
Just my opinion and .02 no matter the damage extent don't buy the R as specialty cars and accidents on the history reports makes resale hard and low.
Sponsored