OP
OP
cheng115

cheng115

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX MT
OP a 2012 is a dinosaur. Take the brand new Si with all the tech and warranty. A simple tune will make it as fast as the G37 if thats your concern.
I'm not sure I agree that tuning the Si will put it close to the G37s...
Sponsored

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
We need
I'm actually interested to see if the SI with a tune could keep up with a G37, you gotta keep in mind that the G37 is a pretty heavy vehicle compared to the civic but I honestly couldn't say for sure how the civic would stack up.

rey2300

Rey23
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #01928
Country flag
I traded my 2010 G37 in for my Type R. The G37 was a great car, I believe it had around 70,000 miles on it when I traded it in. I owned it for about 4 years and never had any issues with it. Changing the oil was really easy as the oil filter and drain plug are very accessible.

I wish I would have tried to sell it rather than trade it in, the dealership sold it within 3 days of me trading it in. They are very popular.

OP
OP
cheng115

cheng115

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX MT
I traded my 2010 G37 in for my Type R. The G37 was a great car, I believe it had around 70,000 miles on it when I traded it in. I owned it for about 4 years and never had any issues with it. Changing the oil was really easy as the oil filter and drain plug are very accessible.

I wish I would have tried to sell it rather than trade it in, the dealership sold it within 3 days of me trading it in. They are very popular.
Yeah trading cars in you get significantly less than you would from selling...

How was the maintenance cost on that g37? Sounds like it was low maintenance and fairly inexpensive to upkeep.

rey2300

Rey23
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #01928
Country flag
Yeah trading cars in you get significantly less than you would from selling...

How was the maintenance cost on that g37? Sounds like it was low maintenance and fairly inexpensive to upkeep.
I bought a pair of ramps and did all the maintenance myself. There are two screws you remove to swing a piece of plastic out of the way and the filter and drain plug are right there for you to access. I never had to take mine in to a shop for any work (besides new tires).

I assume they didn't make any drastic design changes between 2010 and 2012.

It was a very comfortable car and had a lot of power. I would still be driving it if I hadn't lucked out with the Type R.

Go with whichever one makes you happier to drive. You can't lose either way unless the Infiniti wasn't taken care of by previous owner(s).

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
We need

I'm actually interested to see if the SI with a tune could keep up with a G37, you gotta keep in mind that the G37 is a pretty heavy vehicle compared to the civic but I honestly couldn't say for sure how the civic would stack up.
If you look at the 1/4 mile numbers posted on these forums and the g35/37/350z/370z forums, I think a fairly moderately tuned si can beat a stock g37 on 1/4. On a road course I think the g37 would be faster just by the fat tires and rwd, but it wouldn't be like a gigantic difference. Driver skill would be the difference at that point.

rwd though just is so much more fun than fwd. To be able to control rotation with the pedal and the more neutral balance is a lot of fun.

OP
OP
cheng115

cheng115

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX MT
If you look at the 1/4 mile numbers posted on these forums and the g35/37/350z/370z forums, I think a fairly moderately tuned si can beat a stock g37 on 1/4. On a road course I think the g37 would be faster just by the fat tires and rwd, but it wouldn't be like a gigantic difference. Driver skill would be the difference at that point.

rwd though just is so much more fun than fwd. To be able to control rotation with the pedal and the more neutral balance is a lot of fun.
But this is all probably adding some other modifications on the Si (not just a tune). So whether it'd be exhaust, CAI, downpipe, etc... 2012 infiniti g37s could be bought for like $13k right now while a used 2017 civic si ($21k) plus all those mods adds up.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Well, I bought a 2014 Q60 AWD to replace my 2016 GTI.

As I expected, on a Honda forum, fanbois will always, no matter what car, defend a Honda using "cost of ownership" calculations.

Even if you can tune a 1.5T into being competitive on paper, you can never tune-out the FWD. I paid $20.9k for a Q60 AWD that will stomp ALL 2WD vehicles on a rainy day (rains A LOT in Seattle), and if I MUST out-perform an over-tuned $24k Si, I could just throw a S/C kit on my AWD car and have an un-touchable launch-monster, for not much more money. And the VQ37HR handles boost far better than the 1.5T does. If we even bother to entertain those metrics.

TBH, the Civics ARE great. The Sport HB was a very appealing car. But, I want a more substantial car. For better or for worse, the G37 is literally more substantial. Way heavier, way more solid, everything is plush. The tech on 2010+ cars is good enough. I guess I am getting old and I like a heavy GT car. The Civics felt about as excellent as can be expected, at a price point. But, the price point of the G37 was nearly $50K originally.

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
It might be my personal opinion, but having owned my share of relatively powerful vehicles and driven the 2018 si, I think calling it underpowered is a way too much of a stretch. Civic SI's have ALWAYS been much less powerful against cars like the GTI, focus ST for a long long time now to the point where if you know anything about cars it's pretty much an accepted fact. But the thing that Honda tries to pitch with it's SI trim is deliver a driver's car which is aimed at the whole experience of driving along with great reliability and practicality. Sure the GTI does those things too, is a great drivers car, and would kill the SI straightaway race, but I feel like the SI has always given a different driving feel when compared to it's competition.

That being said i'd agree that if your looking for raw power the G37, and accord sport 2.0t would obviously beat it out in a heartbeat. But just saying that anyone looking for the kind of power that pushes you back into your seat probably wouldn't be looking at civics in the first place. Also, the V6 and now turbo Accords has always been faster than the Civic SI, just the same way a Toyota Camry V6 would destroy a Toyota Gt86 in a straight line. These are two very different cars made for two very different purposes.
I came from owning a GTI with DSG transmission, sure it was quick but it was boring.. I traded that in on a Focus ST with the leather recaros. That interior was REALLY NICE for an American car - sure not German nice, but on par with my SI now. That car was fast..but I wanted something smaller and still fun to drive. I ended up with a Fiesta ST. That little 1.6L turbo was no slouch either. Its funny people completely write off these small displacement turbo motors because theyre "slow". I havent heard from anyone that drove a Fiesta ST that didnt think it was a hoot to drive.

These two cars.. the G37 and Civic SI are nothing like each other.. Id just drive each, and see which one you prefer over the other. For me I rely on Android Auto too much to get anything else that doesnt have that. Plus I wont own a car with an automatic transmission. The SI also has amazing seats that have yet to become uncomfortable. The recaros in the Focus ST were ok for really short drives but I would adjust the seat every single day due to them just being too stiff/hard. When I had the Fiesta it had the base seats.

Anyways I wouldnt ever think the SI was slow. Sure its not 400hp fast, its not supposed to be, but its just as fast as my Fiesta was and just as much fun.

ParkwayDrive13

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Ralley Red SI
Country flag
Well, I bought a 2014 Q60 AWD to replace my 2016 GTI.

As I expected, on a Honda forum, fanbois will always, no matter what car, defend a Honda using "cost of ownership" calculations.

Even if you can tune a 1.5T into being competitive on paper, you can never tune-out the FWD. I paid $20.9k for a Q60 AWD that will stomp ALL 2WD vehicles on a rainy day (rains A LOT in Seattle), and if I MUST out-perform an over-tuned $24k Si, I could just throw a S/C kit on my AWD car and have an un-touchable launch-monster, for not much more money. And the VQ37HR handles boost far better than the 1.5T does. If we even bother to entertain those metrics.

TBH, the Civics ARE great. The Sport HB was a very appealing car. But, I want a more substantial car. For better or for worse, the G37 is literally more substantial. Way heavier, way more solid, everything is plush. The tech on 2010+ cars is good enough. I guess I am getting old and I like a heavy GT car. The Civics felt about as excellent as can be expected, at a price point. But, the price point of the G37 was nearly $50K originally.

Please elaborate on what "Over-tuned" is?

and source on "handling more boost"?

20lb's of boost isn't the same between applications, and is totally dependent on the size of the F/I unit. (Example: 30lb's of boost on a stock Si turbo vs a GTX3576r [as an example] are totally different. One would bend a rod, another won't.

For a dependable S/C on a Q60 (new) you're looking at 7k for one from Stillen. You can always "Just do this" and make it superior than another car... lol.

Seems like a lot of fluff from a fanboi himself...

Anyways, OP, I think there are pro's & cons to both platforms. But I think you'd be completely happy owning a G37. Lot's of good feedback on both platforms. If I had a choice, and cost/maint wasn't an issue, I would absolutely own a G37. They're a blast to drive

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Fundamentally different platforms. The VQ has been going for, what... 15-20 years...? The 24v VGs the VQ was based on a decade before that? The VQ is a tried and true engine. The only criticism I'd give it... that is commonly given is that, in boring it out more and more beyond it's original 3L size and raising it's redline out to 7500, up from ~7000k from the VGs... it's just never been that smooth. The trucks got it in a 4.0... but their redline was only 6300 or so... if memory serves.

The rev ups in and around 05 and 06 did have some oil consumption, the 35VRs in 07 and 08 we're, as I understood... a big revision and quite good. When they went to 3.7 we're the last big change I'm aware of. The Z has soldiered on since '09's 370. I'm not familiar with the G35/37s as much specifically... but it's a very long in the tooth but proven power train. The GS are little more than 2+2 350/370s with nicer interiors that are a touch slower because they weigh a smidge more.

If you want performance as bought, with RWD which the Civic simply can never be... and don't want/need the convenience of a sedan... G all the way.

This coming from a guy who has an '18 Civic Si... but who also has a 300zx. No matter how fast and good handling the Civic is... or can be made to be... and it certainly is good off the shelf and can be made much better, the driving experience of a solid RWD sports car, even if it's a sport car-lite, given it being a 2+2, cannot be completely emulated in a (very) solid FWD chassis. They just don't drive the same. Drive them both and buy what fufills your needs and what you want more. The Infiniti brand depreciates a lot... like most other 'premium brands... though I think they hang in there better than Acura and Cadillac badges. Still... you can get a lot of car if you're willing to let it be 3-6 years old. I got a 8 year old Acura for under 1/3 it's new cost... a 10 year old Cadillac for 1/8 it's new cost. Older premium brands can be a real bargain if you want to dabble in previous-models.

Aside from the seeming good deal when compared to it's new cost... make sure you make a sound decision. That 6 year old Infiniti would be outside of it's factory 5/60 warranty (pretty sure that's what Nissan/Infiniti does) so you're not going to have a warranty to cover repairs if it was beat on.

Good luck. Have fun!

First Name
Bryant Lopez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic Si, 1999 Porsche Boxster, 2010 MB C300
Country flag
I had a G37S coupe it was fun but after you mod the Civic Si you will pull on it. I was full bolt on and only got 299whp on a mustang dyno with the G37, also factor in the SI is lighter.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Don't know a lot about the G37 but a G37s makes 316bhp/265lb-ft and weights 3790lbs

A TSP Stage 1 civic makes 237whp/281wtq and weights 2900lbs

Put some good tires on the Si and im 100% sure it'll keep up or beat the G37 on a roll.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Don't know a lot about the G37 but a G37s makes 316bhp/265lb-ft and weights 3790lbs

A TSP Stage 1 civic makes 237whp/281wtq and weights 2900lbs

Put some good tires on the Si and im 100% sure it'll keep up or beat the G37 on a roll.
Yeah obviously stock for stock the Si will probably lose to a G37/G37s but tuned I'd have my money on the Civic. Like you said, some good tires would go a long way and once boost hits I can definitely see it beating the G.

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
a mild FI on that vq though will make 450-500hp pretty easily. probably cost as much as the used car though.
Sponsored