Used 2017 Civic Si vs. Used 2012 Infiniti G37s

cheng115

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX MT
Debating between these two cars. Reading reviews, both seem very reliable but the G37s sounds like it would be a blast to drive.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with Infiniti because I know Honda will always be a safe purchase.
Sponsored

littleprincerex

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't have any experience, but I've definitely seen a lot of G35s, 36s, and 37s (many of them debadged with exhaust mods), so I assume they're a solid choice if you want what it offers

TheAsianNguyen

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Debating between these two cars. Reading reviews, both seem very reliable but the G37s sounds like it would be a blast to drive.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with Infiniti because I know Honda will always be a safe purchase.
In short terms and no bias, the Civic SI is definitely a great overall car to buy as a daily, but if you want to have fun, get a G37.
Careful on the G37s cause I had buddy who got one in stick shift and was babying it and the engine blew up.
Check for prior maintenance records and test drive them both and see which one you see you'll like.

Remember, an Infiniti is just a fancier Nissan

jliiiiil

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatch sport 6mt
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Make sure you factor in maintenance costs on a 6 yr old Infiniti, especially if there is no documentation of regular maintenance being done.

Great cars, but like a lot of other premium imports maintenance costs after 60k mileage add up quick!

OP
OP
cheng115

cheng115

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX MT
In short terms and no bias, the Civic SI is definitely a great overall car to buy as a daily, but if you want to have fun, get a G37.
Careful on the G37s cause I had buddy who got one in stick shift and was babying it and the engine blew up.
Check for prior maintenance records and test drive them both and see which one you see you'll like.

Remember, an Infiniti is just a fancier Nissan
But nissan/infiniti are just as reliable as Honda?.. no?

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Overall, no, but TBH a lot of their reliability issues stem from their earlier CVTs, which fell apart if you looked at the car the wrong way.

The G37 will be $1000s cheaper, and actually has an exhaust note. An excellent and unique one as well, always caught my attention when I heard that VQ

Xtelotatichl

First Name
Cha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si
Country flag
Also consider what drivetrain is best suited for you. A lot of differences and possibilities when going fwd vs rwd.

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
5 years can be a big difference compared to new. I had a g35, lots of fun, lots of torque, great engine. RWD is a lot more fun than FWD. Some VQ's have an oil consumption problem, so make sure that they've been maintained well. The VQ's are supposed to be pretty reliable, probably not as reliable as the honda na motors, but who knows how reliable the 1.5t motor is going to be.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
They tend to have issues with their powertrains long term. Small things that can turn into expensive jobs. I'd suggest doing some research specifically on the G37 model you're after. My initial view shows Infinity is good, but not as good as their direct competitor (Acura aka Honda).

The Si's powertrain is new but expected to be solid. Parts are dirt cheap, and widely available. Just some food for thought...

Honda Civic 10th gen Used 2017 Civic Si vs. Used 2012 Infiniti G37s InClassQIR

OP
OP
cheng115

cheng115

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX MT
They tend to have issues with their powertrains long term. Small things that can turn into expensive jobs. I'd suggest doing some research specifically on the G37 model you're after. My initial view shows Infinity is good, but not as good as their direct competitor (Acura aka Honda).

The Si's powertrain is new but expected to be solid. Parts are dirt cheap, and widely available. Just some food for thought...

InClassQIR.png
How is an audi a4 that low? Is this reliability charts or just overall ratings?

I've been doing a lot of research on infiniti g37s, specifically 2012 model, and have experienced really good reviews.

I've always thought maintenance wise, BMW would be the biggest pain in the ass, then Audi.. and Infiniti's are medium of the pack regarding maintenance expense. Obviously Honda's are going to be dirt cheap but its hard to say no to a 3.7L V6 engine producing 330hp. Acura's from the reviews I've read just don't compare to a Gmodel infiniti.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag

What is your chart measuring? There are some very random cars on there (Volvo 850, Acura Integra??)

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
My only experience with Nissan's VQ wasn't stellar. The car needed transmission bearings and it had 2 low cylinders(compression) by 90K. Maxima SE.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag

OK, I just test drove a 2014 Q60 AWD Coupe 7AT and we have test driven Civics recently.

I arrived at the dealer in my 2016 GTI, for reference. I will preface this with, IMO, as fairly as I can I truly believe the GTI is FAR superior to a Civic Si, and even my wife agreed the GTI is in many ways, better than the G37(nee Q60). But, as I said, to be fair, my GTI lease is up soon and I will be giving the GTI back to VW to pay cash for some recent Japanese iron. Also, my wife is a huge fan of the Sport Hatch and is her next car, so that is why I am somewhat of a "troll" TBH. I have owned mostly Hondas my whole life.

My criteria for my next car is AWD comfortably powerful Japanese iron. We also test drove a 2012 LS460 AWD.

Here's my take on the G37:

Ultra reliable. I had a VQ35DE up to 298k miles. That car (Maxima) was hardly worse for the wear by that time. Honestly, I hated the way the Maxima looked (5 gen) but damn it wore like iron. At 298k we had just done 1 sensor, a tom of oil changes and a set of driveaxles. The only issue with the car when we sold it was that the rear passenger power door lock sometimes needed 2 presses of unlock to fully unlock. Oh, and the car is ugly.

The G37 has only ONE very unlikely issue for reliability: up until 2012, the rear timing cover gasket can fail leaving you with a $2-3k repair. 2012 the gasket was revised to metal. That is it. Few people have this issue. Remember, Honda isn't so perfect these days either. There are a TON of G37s with 200k on the road since they have been out since 2008.

Ok, my perceptions are:

vs 1.5T Civics...yeah, no. The VQ37 is far more powerful.

vs CVT Civic, yeah no again. The 7AT is great, even in comparison to my highly touted GTI DSG. CVT can suck it, no matter how "relatively" good they become.

vs 6MT Si well I didn't test drive a 6MT Civic, nor did I test drive a 6MT G37. For me, the lack of an AT option for Si or CTR is a non-starter. I would bet money that the Si 6MT "feel" better than the G37. BUT, the G37 6MT is extremely durable and attached to the correct drive wheels:RWD!

vs stereo: the SQ in the G37 is far better than even the premium Civic offerings. true, no AA or ACP, but with BT streaming and most G37s will have Navi it is nearly a non-issue. My GTI has AA and ACP, so yeah I DO appreciate these, but on my test drive of the G37/Q60 with Navi I really didn't miss it. And TBH, I use BT music streaming about 50% as cable-connected AA in my GTI just out of convenience.

vs interior quality: again, G37/Q60 coupe WAY nicer. Way more plush carpets, power adjusted steering wheel, even the cupholder door was leather covered. No "iffy" materials like the Civic. And in comparison to my GTI, definitely on par (German cars have a good rep for material feel in their cars). And the doors are way more solid, the windows are frameless (coupe) far more value here than in the Civic.

vs safety: TBH, I don't care here. "Safety" is a moving target. Today, we all feel our 2018 cars are "SO SAFE". In 2028, we'll wonder how we even survived 2018! There are no active drivers aids on the G37/Q60, but for me a non-issue, I prefer it this way. I would like drivers aids for my wife and other people though......

vs value: Infiniti, being a Nissan, suffers from poor resale value at all levels. I paid $22k for my 2 yr old Titan 4x4 CC Big Tow with a clean record (lease return) and it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. But, it is a Nissan and Nissans CAN suck (Altimas, Versas, Rogues) BUT Nissan makes great vehicles. The G37/Q60 is a great vehicle. I explained to my wife we will buy her a NEW Civic Sport Hatchback because the resale is stupid good on them, may as well buy new! The Q60/G37 I was looking at was a $50k car in 2014, and now the asking price is $24K with 23,300 miles. What a smoking good deal! No way a 4 year old Civic with 23k miles will be worth 48% of original price. The Civic will hold it's value way better.

IMO, the Civic only wins out on:
Cargo area: RWD/AWD cars have less than FWD. And in the Q60 coupe I drove, wow cargo area was 20% of the Civics!

Warranty: a NON-ISSUE for me considering how reliable the G37/Q60s are, BUT the new Civic would have a warranty. Do you really even need one with these cars?

Fuel economy: yes, the puny 1.5T with inferior FWD and boring CVT will be better than the G37/Q60. Even the LS 460 I tested gets 2mpg better than the V6 G/Q.

In the end, my wife and I preferred the LS460 we test drove later in the day. So, the G37 did lose out. And, my GTI is definitely more sporty than the G37, the 2.0T really shines even against such a great V6. To us, we think LS460>GTI>G37>>>>>>>>Civic 1.5T. My wife is totally cool with the weak 1.5T and FWD, she thinks I am nuts for caring so much about dynamics. But, IF you are even considering a G37, that means you care more about certain things a G37 does better than a Civic Si and IMO you would should put the G37 way above an Si. The Si only does these things better: resale value (if MT vs MT) cargo, fuel economy. G37 is better in so many more metrics and intangibles.

Oh, and I also wanted to add: The GTI is a turbo FWD car, like the Civics. we drove around in the G37 AWD and LS460 AWD in the slick rain of the Pacific NW today, and my gawd what a refresher! I don't know about Si's in the rain, but my GTI is damn near unusable on anything other than nice, dry warm days. I would guess Si would have similar issues. The G37 and LS460 were really rockets off the line in the rain. The GTI has made me swear off FWD cars that are powerful. That is why we don't even second glance the 2.0T Accord, which by all other measures is an excellent car!

Last edited:
OP
OP
cheng115

cheng115

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX MT
OK, I just test drove a 2014 Q60 AWD Coupe 7AT and we have test driven Civics recently.

I arrived at the dealer in my 2016 GTI, for reference. I will preface this with, IMO, as fairly as I can I truly believe the GTI is FAR superior to a Civic Si, and even my wife agreed the GTI is in many ways, better than the G37(nee Q60). But, as I said, to be fair, my GTI lease is up soon and I will be giving the GTI back to VW to pay cash for some recent Japanese iron. Also, my wife is a huge fan of the Sport Hatch and is her next car, so that is why I am somewhat of a "troll" TBH. I have owned mostly Hondas my whole life.

My criteria for my next car is AWD comfortably powerful Japanese iron. We also test drove a 2012 LS460 AWD.

Here's my take on the G37:

Ultra reliable. I had a VQ35DE up to 298k miles. That car (Maxima) was hardly worse for the wear by that time. Honestly, I hated the way the Maxima looked (5 gen) but damn it wore like iron. At 298k we had just done 1 sensor, a tom of oil changes and a set of driveaxles. The only issue with the car when we sold it was that the rear passenger power door lock sometimes needed 2 presses of unlock to fully unlock. Oh, and the car is ugly.

The G37 has only ONE very unlikely issue for reliability: up until 2012, the rear timing cover gasket can fail leaving you with a $2-3k repair. 2012 the gasket was revised to metal. That is it. Few people have this issue. Remember, Honda isn't so perfect these days either. There are a TON of G37s with 200k on the road since they have been out since 2008.

Ok, my perceptions are:

vs 1.5T Civics...yeah, no. The VQ37 is far more powerful.

vs CVT Civic, yeah no again. The 7AT is great, even in comparison to my highly touted GTI DSG. CVT can suck it, no matter how "relatively" good they become.

vs 6MT Si well I didn't test drive a 6MT Civic, nor did I test drive a 6MT G37. For me, the lack of an AT option for Si or CTR is a non-starter. I would bet money that the Si 6MT "feel" better than the G37. BUT, the G37 6MT is extremely durable and attached to the correct drive wheels:RWD!

vs stereo: the SQ in the G37 is far better than even the premium Civic offerings. true, no AA or ACP, but with BT streaming and most G37s will have Navi it is nearly a non-issue. My GTI has AA and ACP, so yeah I DO appreciate these, but on my test drive of the G37/Q60 with Navi I really didn't miss it. And TBH, I use BT music streaming about 50% as cable-connected AA in my GTI just out of convenience.

vs interior quality: again, G37/Q60 coupe WAY nicer. Way more plush carpets, power adjusted steering wheel, even the cupholder door was leather covered. No "iffy" materials like the Civic. And in comparison to my GTI, definitely on par (German cars have a good rep for material feel in their cars). And the doors are way more solid, the windows are frameless (coupe) far more value here than in the Civic.

vs safety: TBH, I don't care here. "Safety" is a moving target. Today, we all feel our 2018 cars are "SO SAFE". In 2028, we'll wonder how we even survived 2018! There are no active drivers aids on the G37/Q60, but for me a non-issue, I prefer it this way. I would like drivers aids for my wife and other people though......

vs value: Infiniti, being a Nissan, suffers from poor resale value at all levels. I paid $22k for my 2 yr old Titan 4x4 CC Big Tow with a clean record (lease return) and it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. But, it is a Nissan and Nissans CAN suck (Altimas, Versas, Rogues) BUT Nissan makes great vehicles. The G37/Q60 is a great vehicle. I explained to my wife we will buy her a NEW Civic Sport Hatchback because the resale is stupid good on them, may as well buy new! The Q60/G37 I was looking at was a $50k car in 2014, and now the asking price is $24K with 23,300 miles. What a smoking good deal! No way a 4 year old Civic with 23k miles will be worth 48% of original price. The Civic will hold it's value way better.

IMO, the Civic only wins out on:
Cargo area: RWD/AWD cars have less than FWD. And in the Q60 coupe I drove, wow cargo area was 20% of the Civics!

Warranty: a NON-ISSUE for me considering how reliable the G37/Q60s are, BUT the new Civic would have a warranty. Do you really even need one with these cars?

Fuel economy: yes, the puny 1.5T with inferior FWD and boring CVT will be better than the G37/Q60. Even the LS 460 I tested gets 2mpg better than the V6 G/Q.

In the end, my wife and I preferred the LS460 we test drove later in the day. So, the G37 did lose out. And, my GTI is definitely more sporty than the G37, the 2.0T really shines even against such a great V6. To us, we think LS460>GTI>G37>>>>>>>>Civic 1.5T. My wife is totally cool with the weak 1.5T and FWD, she thinks I am nuts for caring so much about dynamics. But, IF you are even considering a G37, that means you care more about certain things a G37 does better than a Civic Si and IMO you would should put the G37 way above an Si. The Si only does these things better: resale value (if MT vs MT) cargo, fuel economy. G37 is better in so many more metrics and intangibles.

Oh, and I also wanted to add: The GTI is a turbo FWD car, like the Civics. we drove around in the G37 AWD and LS460 AWD in the slick rain of the Pacific NW today, and my gawd what a refresher! I don't know about Si's in the rain, but my GTI is damn near unusable on anything other than nice, dry warm days. I would guess Si would have similar issues. The G37 and LS460 were really rockets off the line in the rain. The GTI has made me swear off FWD cars that are powerful. That is why we don't even second glance the 2.0T Accord, which by all other measures is an excellent car!
THIS. IS. AWESOME.

Thank you so much for this response! Helps a lot! Unfortunately can't afford something like the LS460 and I really want a manual transmission. So thinkin/praying/hoping I can find a SWEET deal on a 2012 or 2013 g37s!

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone cross shopping an LS versus a Civic?

I mean I'd love an A8 or an S-Class but had to settle a bit
Sponsored