Use KTuner V1.2 with Base Model Factory Head Unit on 2018 Civic 1.5T LX Hatchback Non-Sport?

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback 1.5T LX 6MT
Country flag
Hey guys!

I just received my KTuner V1.2 today, got the software downloaded, and would like to be able to switch between different stored tunes on-the-fly, using the Cruise Control button

My understanding is that I will need to be able to use the factory head unit to do this, since I do not have an Android phone.

Is this correct?

Is my 2018 Civic Hatchback LX base model head unit capable of this functionality?

Is it possible to switch between stored tunes without using the head unit or an Android phone?

Do I need Honda Hack to set the head unit up for this functionality?

Assuming my head unit can be set up to support this functionality, can I datalog with it?

Thanks gents. I’ve attached a photo of my 2018 Hatchback LX 1.5T Non-Sport head unit.
Honda Civic 10th gen Use KTuner V1.2 with Base Model Factory Head Unit on 2018 Civic 1.5T LX Hatchback Non-Sport? D767E719-EBFE-4AD2-B2CF-877AD4B8DD4E
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Once you load the tune, the head unit really has nothing to do with otf map switching. I think you're confusing that with the Tunerview app.

Just use the CC buttons to switch between maps:

With cruise control off....

1) Hold cancel for 2-3 seconds.

2) Use the cc (+, -) buttons to switch maps. What will happen is the tach needle will go to 1000, 2000 and 3000 rpm which represents Maps 1, 2 and 3.

3) Hold cancel again for 2-3 seconds to chose a map. If you did it right the tach rpms will revert back to showing the actual engine speed.

Hope this helps. Keep in mind that if you don't leave the KTuner unit plugged in, it will always revert to map 1 on startup.

Last edited:

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The only thing you need a rooted head unit (the full display kind which you dont have) or an android phone would be to install tunerview to monitor your live stats

OP
OP
18 HB LX 1.5T 6M
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Once you load the tune, the head unit really has nothing to do with it. I think you're confusing it with the Tunerview app.

You just need to use the CC buttons to switch between maps:

With cruise control off....

Hold cancel for 2-3 seconds.
Use the cc (+, -) buttons to switch maps.

What will happen is the tach needle will go to 1000, 2000 and 3000 rpm and represents Maps 1, 2, 3.

Holding cancel again for 2-3 seconds choses a map. If you did it right the tach rpms will revert back to showing engine speed.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply, gtman!

How do I flash multiple tunes onto the ECU?

I flashed the ECU with the Stage 0 KTuner tune just to start off with. But, to my knowledge, that’s the only tune I have loaded right now.

My understanding is that I can have a max of 3 different tunes loaded onto the KTuner at once, correct? And then switch between them with the CC buttons.

Or, are all 3 tunes actually flashed onto the ECU, and then I’m just switching between them using the CC buttons?

The 3 tunes I would like to have loaded just starting out, for comparison sake are:

- Factory Base Calibration

- Stage 0 (15 psi, 87 octane)

- Starter 16.5 psi

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You still have a lot of reading to do. :cool:

The KTuner Stage tunes are standalone tunes with no on the fly capability.

To do on the fly, Chose dual starter 21.

You then will have options show up in the quick adjustment column. The different maps are labeled "tune 1, tune 2 and tune 3.

You can then set the "normal" boost level to something like 15, 16.5 and 18.

Set the "eco" boost to "factory".

But here's the thing. Being new to this, maybe just run one of the Stage tunes for now. Read up a bit on the KTuner settings and some general tuning info. Once you're comfortable with things, set up your on the fly map switching.

OP
OP
18 HB LX 1.5T 6M
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The only thing you need a rooted head unit (the full display kind which you dont have) or an android phone would be to install tunerview to monitor your live stats
Thanks for replying, man.

So, that is different from what someone at KTuner told me.

A guy who answered the phone when I called KTuner said that he thought that as long as I had an actual screen, then I would be able to use my head unit to display parameters, etc.

So, this is not correct? My head unit does not support this functionality?

Sorry about the FNG questions, guys!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thanks for replying, man.

So, that is different from what someone at KTuner told me.

A guy who answered the phone when I called KTuner said that he thought that as long as I had an actual screen, then I would be able to use my head unit to display parameters, etc.

So, this is not correct? My head unit does not support this functionality?

Sorry about the FNG questions, guys!
Did you specifically mention you have the standard (non display media) type unit? As far as I know those have no "smart features" e.g. a web browser and thus can't be rooted. Part of the reason I got the V2 personally. Didn't want to use a phone display and didn't want to root my headunit.

OP
OP
18 HB LX 1.5T 6M
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you specifically mention you have the standard (non display media) type unit? As far as I know those have no "smart features" e.g. a web browser and thus can't be rooted. Part of the reason I got the V2 personally. Didn't want to use a phone display and didn't want to root my headunit.
Yes, I did.

Yeah, this head unit doesn’t have a web browser, to my knowledge.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yes, I did.

Yeah, this head unit doesn’t have a web browser, to my knowledge.
That's unfortunate. I'm not sure why they would have told you that. To be fair you don't really need continual monitoring. Just collect datalogs periodically if you want to monitor how things are going. But it is a nice "to have"

OP
OP
18 HB LX 1.5T 6M
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What's the best option if I wanted to be able to datalog without my laptop connected?

Find a Tunerview-compatible factory head unit, possibly from a totaled Civic?

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Only the full Android based head unit that can be rooted is capable of running the TunerView App. If my guy was confused on this I'll make sure he knows.

OP
OP
18 HB LX 1.5T 6M
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Only the full Android based head unit that can be rooted is capable of running the TunerView App. If my guy was confused on this I'll make sure he knows.
Thanks for your reply. I would like to emphasize that the gentleman who answered when I called KTuner was very responsive and professional.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Thanks for your reply. I would like to emphasize that the gentleman who answered when I called KTuner was very responsive and professional.
We appreciate the feedback. We talked about the head unit differences this morning and he's filled in!
Sponsored