USB Thumb Drive Playback Issue (told it was folders)

indnfn25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
So I just bought my car and instead of just bringing my decade old ipod everywhere I wanted to put all my songs on one flash drive and just go. All my songs are divided in folders by album and I also have folders for different playlists.

I've been noticing since I got it that about 1 out of every 2 or 3 songs it just stops playing. I have to switch to sirius, wait 30 sec, go back to usb and then it'll start playing. It's not one particular file as the same song will hang up and then later it'll play full through. Also have used multiple thumb drives (including a brand new one).

Occasionally it'll actually freeze up the entire computer and it will just restart on its own.

I took it in today and they called the Tech Line and they said it was because I had too many folders and it wasn't designed for that. All the songs should just be on the thumb drive with little or no folders. Obviously this isn't what I want because I've spent years making sure I have all my albums are on my computer and this wouldn't allow me to just listen to a certain album that I'm feeling at that time.

Anybody else have that problem? Anybody else have 100+ folders and are having no issues?

Thanks!
Sponsored

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I first tried the many folders route. \Music\<genre>\<artist>\<album>\<track>. It would have been close to 1,000 folders and was almost 9,000 tracks. I didn't leave it that way for long because Display Audio has very limited ability to pick how to play this and only allows random of absolutely everything or just one folder--in this case, that means I'm selecting albums and getting random only from that album. (I want random by genre.) But I didn't have any issues with it, either. But I didn't use it that way for long.

I've since gone to \Music\<genre>\<artist> - <album> - <track>. This allows what I want, random tracks within genre, but makes it all but impossible to find an individual album and play just it. Especially if the albums is a multi-artist compilation. This is working. There are still 9,000 tracks but only 30 or so folders.

If you have your music in iTunes, you needn't rearrange it yourself nor rearrange it on the PC to get it the way that makes Display Audio work usefully with your stick. Go find and download a tool called iTunes Fusion from a company called Binary Fortress Software. It can do all this for you without rearranging your PC catalog at all.

That said, the iPod provides a much better experience with Display Audio in terms of navigation/selection, playlists, and stuff like that. And album art worked on it the first time. I have not yet figured out how to make album art work from the stick even though I can, supposedly, get it put on the stick by iTunes Fusion. (Need to play with that some more.) If they made a 128GB iPod Nano for $200, I'd buy one just for putting the music library in the car. A $400 128GB iPod Touch seems like vast overkill since you are paying for cameras and WiFi and apps and on and on.

OP
OP

indnfn25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Ok but when you have all those folders and play songs do the songs ever quit on you in the middle of them and kind of freeze up the audio portion.

I have a 2016 Civic with Display Audio

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok but when you have all those folders and play songs do the songs ever quit on you in the middle of them and kind of freeze up the audio portion.

I have a 2016 Civic with Display Audio
Not in my limited experience with a 2016 Civic with Display Audio. We've had it for less than a week.

Have you ever rebooted your infotainment? Not that you should have to, but this has solved, at least temporarily, lots of different problems for lots of owners.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Have you tried more than one stick? You may have some compatibility issue. The only stick I've used in the car so far is a Lexar S45 128GB USB3 stick.

bhuber2112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
I've since gone to \Music\<genre>\<artist> - <album> - <track>. This allows what I want, random tracks within genre, but makes it all but impossible to find an individual album and play just it. Especially if the albums is a multi-artist compilation. This is working. There are still 9,000 tracks but only 30 or so folders.
Are you able to play random songs even though the actual files are under a sub-folder? e.g. No files in the genre folder but files under the artist folder. I am not able to do that. I can only play files at the lowest file level. Thanks.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are you able to play random songs even though the actual files are under a sub-folder? e.g. No files in the genre folder but files under the artist folder. I am not able to do that. I can only play files at the lowest file level. Thanks.
With it organized this way--with only one folder level, genre, and all artist, album, and track filed in that folder, it will play random in that folder. Agreed, it will only play random in a given folder. No way to play random based on the metadata like genre. Worse, "Random In Folder" doesn't work well. In my use, with a 128 GB stick with 8,000 or so tunes in something like 30 folders, it will only play a few random tracks in folder before skipping to playing random tracks in the next folder. Sometimes a few is three or eight or five. Not sure it's ever played more than a dozen from the first folder that I asked it to play "Random In Folder" from.

TommiTurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue Civic Touring
Country flag
This is a SERIOUS flaw with this system. Honestly I expected playback at least on par with our 2012 Odyssey EX-L. I can put a 32gb stick in it with files in folders or not and it will sort it all out by genre, artist, album...etc. I can definitely say that this was one of the MAIN REASONS that I pulled out of a 16 Touring deal I was working on. I want all the goodies that the Touring offers but I like my music and I have a lot of it. All I wanted was it to work at least as well as the Odyssey does. I guess that's too much to ask of Honda on a top of the line trim level of the Civic! I hope Honda is listening...I'm NOT BUYING A CIVIC TOURING UNTIL YOU FIX THAT HIDEOUS INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM in your cars. Hey HONDA not everyone streams Spotify or uses Aha...Some folks use USB sticks! MAKE IT WORK PLEASE!!!
Sponsored