USB music has stopped

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
Hello,

I'm looking for some help from anyone who may have had the same issue and fixed it. I have my music on a USB thumb drive in the center console. I've been using it like this nearly every day for about 4 years now. Recently it too longer and longer to play the first song, and now it won't play at all. The drive is still good, I've verified on a PC. The car knows something's there, if I unplug and replug it says "loading" forever. I've noticed no other issues with the Headunit.

Any tips or ideas?

Thanks!
Sponsored

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would try another usb stick. It’s possible that one is going bad even though the pc can read it. Copy and paste your songs to a new drive. If you have problems
With that it’s probably a dead stick even though it recognizes it on the pc and the car.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would try another usb stick. It’s possible that one is going bad even though the pc can read it. Copy and paste your songs to a new drive. If you have problems
With that it’s probably a dead stick even though it recognizes it on the pc and the car.

100% right

OP
OP
augustus

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the help! I tried another usb drive and that worked. Then I started doing more reading in this forum about music storage on the usb drive. There's a 700 folder limit, I was way past that. Even though it worked for a long time my only guess is that eventually it bogged something down in the headunit.

I ended up reformatting the original usb drive FAT32 (128GB drive) and I re-organized my songs to not use as many folders (12,000+ songs). I now coincidentally have about 695 folders and everything is working again, in fact it's working better than ever. I have noticed that my music needs some maintenance in order to sort the songs this way, once I clean up some more, I should have even less folders.

Thanks for the help!

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
USB stick are not reliable for long time stockage.
Sponsored