USB device not recognized...

2016TouringSLC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
my samgsung fit 128gb works perfectly
I think dc2turbo has found the solution.

I ordered a Samsung Fit 64GB for $20 and loaded it up. Worked very well but a few fits and starts. Then I checked my songs and found that many more than I expected where MP3s while the majority were AAC. So last night I converted all songs in iTunes to AAC, and this morning, it has worked perfectly. I even stopped and started the car a couple of times, and music started within 5-10 seconds and played the song from the same position as when I stopped (previously, it would often restart at the first song on the drive).

I also like that the Samsung has a very low profile, so much less chance of it being knocked around and damaging the USB input.

I'll do some more testing but the Samsung Fit and proper file organization may have finally solved a very annoying problem.

Honda Civic 10th gen USB device not recognized... usb.JPG
Sponsored

indnfn25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
So I've been having problems with my USB Drive with it just stopping in the middle of songs and freezing. Sometimes it takes out the entire screen and won't let it work anymore. I took it in today and they said they called the tech guys and said it's because since it's not a full PC that I shouldn't have so many folders on there. I had different folders for all my albums and they say that it is causing the issues and I should just put the songs on the flash drive without the folders. Has anyone else been having that issues or is anyone else using dozens of folders and not having an issue?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
they called the tech guys and said it's because since it's not a full PC that I shouldn't have so many folders on there. I had different folders for all my albums and they say that it is causing the issues and I should just put the songs on the flash drive without the folders.
Wonder what a "full PC" is?

There is no documented limit in the OM or in Android. Sure, it's possible that if you had only one track in the root folder and nothing else on the stick you might never see this issue. In the absence of that guidance in the OM, that would be a total crap answer. Our '07 CR-V had a limit documented in the OM. ("The card limit of the player is 255 folders and 999 tracks. If the card has a complex structure, it takes some time for the system to begin playing it.")

My suggestion--not a defense of Honda, but a workaround--is to reboot the infotainment every time you start experiencing these problems. If that solves the problem, and it doesn't come back for a while, chalk it up to resource management problems in the Honda value add software on the head unit, and get in line waiting for them to maybe issue an update.

OP
OP
NickfromSD

NickfromSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think dc2turbo has found the solution.

I ordered a Samsung Fit 64GB for $20 and loaded it up. Worked very well but a few fits and starts. Then I checked my songs and found that many more than I expected where MP3s while the majority were AAC. So last night I converted all songs in iTunes to AAC, and this morning, it has worked perfectly. I even stopped and started the car a couple of times, and music started within 5-10 seconds and played the song from the same position as when I stopped (previously, it would often restart at the first song on the drive).

I also like that the Samsung has a very low profile, so much less chance of it being knocked around and damaging the USB input.

I'll do some more testing but the Samsung Fit and proper file organization may have finally solved a very annoying problem.

usb.JPG
still not having any issues?

2016TouringSLC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
still not having any issues?
No issues at all with around 5,000 songs (I weeded out the ones I seldom listen to).

I'm still disappointed that it takes 30-40 seconds for music to play once I start the engine, but I can live with that given that I've not had any hangs, skips or stuttering and it takes only a second to change songs. I keep all songs in a single folder, and I think that helps.

As posted in another thread, I'm noticing that it will display album art if it is over 500x500 pixels, so I'm resizing some of the album covers to see if I can get them all to display. Then, I'll copy them to my iPod and see if I can get that to consistently play. I like the ability to EQ using the iPod interface.

OP
OP
NickfromSD

NickfromSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No issues at all with around 5,000 songs (I weeded out the ones I seldom listen to).

I'm still disappointed that it takes 30-40 seconds for music to play once I start the engine, but I can live with that given that I've not had any hangs, skips or stuttering and it takes only a second to change songs. I keep all songs in a single folder, and I think that helps.

As posted in another thread, I'm noticing that it will display album art if it is over 500x500 pixels, so I'm resizing some of the album covers to see if I can get them all to display. Then, I'll copy them to my iPod and see if I can get that to consistently play. I like the ability to EQ using the iPod interface.
Thats so weird that the infotainment works different for everyone. I dont often have to wait for my music to load, for me its more that occasionally it doesnt load at all. Bizarre.

2016TouringSLC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Thats so weird that the infotainment works different for everyone. I dont often have to wait for my music to load, for me its more that occasionally it doesnt load at all. Bizarre.
I park both day and night in a covered garage, so I lose the GPS and Sirius connection. When I pull out, the small satellite icon is flashing, and the music seems to start just as the icon stops blinking. Perhaps the system is giving first priority to the GPS. I'll pay more attention when its been parked outside.

daBiker68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX - Lunar Silver Metallic 2017 Subaru Forester - Quartz Blue Pearl
Country flag
My 8gb USB 2.0 drive is formatted fat32 as well. My music is organized in two folders, "all music" and "recently added".
If someone could experiment with ntfs vs fat32, playlists vs no playlists, and different types of flashdrives and sizes, that'd be rad.
Don't know if you ever had this resolved, but a 3.0 USB drive work much better than the 2.0. The 3.0 will allow the system to restart at the last song played - even where it had stopped - along with the last-used options (ie, repeat, random this folder only, etc).

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Don't know if you ever had this resolved, but a 3.0 USB drive work much better than the 2.0. The 3.0 will allow the system to restart at the last song played - even where it had stopped - along with the last-used options (ie, repeat, random this folder only, etc).
Drive MUST be formatted Fat32. ( Not NTFS or any other format)

Typically, the biggest Flash Drive that WINDOWS can format with Fat32 32GB.
There are windows Utility programs that can format a bigger USB drive .. ie 64GB, 128GB.
32GB, 64GB & 128GB FAT32 drives will all work in the Honda 2018 SI's head unit.

However, there is really little point in going over 32GB, as the Honda USB music player is a FOLDER based player, and the player Software has a hard limit of 700 Folders.
(Do not know if there is a file limit).
But with 700 folders, each with say a 10 song abum, = 7000 songs: - with Mp3 will come close to 32GB.

I do not recall if the Honda unit will FORMAT a drive ( probably not without going deep into the menu system , as it is so locked down), but most android devices are able to format external drives (Usb flash drives), and they will format to FAT32, (and put a few odd android folders & files there). I do not recall ever seeing the Honda Unit "OFFER" to re-format a USB drive that it thought it could not read --( my "Open" Android HU in my older car does)

Remember, the Bigger the drive, and the more folders, the longer the Player will take to initially read the USB drive, BEFORE it can start playing.
With a 32GB drive, expect to wait while it is LOADING for up to a minute.
It might even say "No disk" for a time, while it mounts the USB drive.

My experience is that USB3 drives work far more reliably in the Honda unit, than USB2 flash drives. (even if the Honda unit itself is only USB 2 ?? )

A few of the USB 2 drives I tried had stuttering when playing music. All the USB3 drives I have tried run perfectly, without any stuttering.

The KEY to using the Honda "Folder based" Music player, is to arrange your music into logical folders, and sub Folders, as you can only select music by folder. (ie Not by Artist etc.
IF you want a Play Lists, just make one or more "Play List Folders", and COPY your selected music to those folders (using your PC).
If you want to change a play list, then just create or overwite one, copying the music you want (leaving original music in original folders).

Yes, you will have duplicate music files in both your Playlist & your non-play list folders, but you have plenty of room on a 32FB drive.

Helps if you pre-sort the folders and files on the USB drive, as the Honda Player displays them in the order they are put onto the USB drive. IF you want them sorted alphabetically (so you can find things), the Honda a player will NOT do this for you, so you have to pre-sort them. (Drivesort)

Once you accept that the Honda Unit is a FOLDER player, and have your music organized in suitable folders, then the actual player become quite nice to use while driving. (Simple, non distracting , with easy to control navigation between folders & tracks).

Cons: There is no fast forwarding or reverse within a song (File). Only going back to start, previous, or next track / folder.
The only way to pause, is to use the AUDIO button, that will effectively Pause the player, and kill the audio.

All above comments are based on actual use, not "assumed" or "guesses:.

When I first started using the Honda Player, I initially thought "what a load of C#$P).
I missed all the complex features of the more advanced player I have in my older car... but over time I have come to appreciate its simple design, and functionality, so much so, that I now would consider installing that same Honda Player into my older car's "Open" Head Unit.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
My USB has a mind of its own. When I shut the car off, it is a dice roll on whether the USB will resume where I left off or start over at song one.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
My USB has a mind of its own. When I shut the car off, it is a dice roll on whether the USB will resume where I left off or start over at song one.
So does mine... (forgot to mention that) .. seems to be totally random.
Frustrating, as potentially it "can" remember where it was, and resume, but other times, it starts from the 1st mp3 on the USB drive.

The report in a previous post in this thread suggests that ACC format music files always resume correctly.
I am left wondering if that was just a coincidence... but might be worth trying a small test dive, with only a few ACC files, to see if that is really 100% repeatable.

Converting 7000+ files from mp3 to ACC is somewhat time consuming !!

Last edited:

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
However, there is really little point in going over 32GB, as the Honda USB music player is a FOLDER based player, and the player Software has a hard limit of 700 Folders.
(Do not know if there is a file limit).
But with 700 folders, each with say a 10 song abum, = 7000 songs: - with Mp3 will come close to 32GB.
The KEY to using the Honda "Folder based" Music player, is to arrange your music into logical folders, and sub Folders, as you can only select music by folder. (ie Not by Artist etc.
IF you want a Play Lists, just make one or more "Play List Folders", and COPY your selected music to those folders (using your PC).
If you want to change a play list, then just create or overwite one, copying the music you want (leaving original music in original folders).

Yes, you will have duplicate music files in both your Playlist & your non-play list folders, but you have plenty of room on a 32FB drive.

Helps if you pre-sort the folders and files on the USB drive, as the Honda Player displays them in the order they are put onto the USB drive. IF you want them sorted alphabetically (so you can find things), the Honda a player will NOT do this for you, so you have to pre-sort them. (Drivesort)

Once you accept that the Honda Unit is a FOLDER player, and have your music organized in suitable folders, then the actual player become quite nice to use while driving. (Simple, non distracting , with easy to control navigation between folders & tracks).
All sorta true. The thing will not recurse down a folder tree. So you are limited to playing from folders at one directory level at a time. (In a 2016 Civic Sedan with the firmware I'm running. it will occasionally, inexplicably, skip to playing from the next folder if I've asked for random in folder.)

If you want "Play by Artist", "Play by Genre", "Play by Album" kinds of functionality, you are SOL. As you point out, however you organize your stick, that's what you get. (Even my '07 CR-V was more capable as a data storage media player than this.)

I disagree about the utility of large sticks, and about how much music you can fit. I have close to 9,000 tracks, AAC 320 and AAC 320 VBR, and they take up most of my 128 GB sticks. (One for '16 Civic, one for '18 CR-V.) I'm not so into it as to spend time putting lots of different copies on the sticks in different folders just to make up for the inexcusably lame limitations of a "FOLDER player". Just the workflow to get one set of music, organized as folders, by genre (the only acceptable choice to me, given the limitations of the Honda player), with album art the way Honda likes but iTunes doesn't like, is enough of a headache as it is.

From my POV, this is 2018. The limitations of this FOLDER player put it back in the realm of what a cassette player could do and that's embarrassingly inexcusable. Again, my 2007 CR-V (and 2009 BMW 135i, and 2012 Ford Focus with the otherwise execrable My Ford Touch) was more capable as a data storage media player than the 2016 Civic/2018 CR-V. No excuse for it. They built this thing on open source bits. There are plenty of open source bits that know how to play from folders of music files in better ways than this.

Saying once you accept their premise of a FOLDER player, it's not so bad, is like saying once you accept walking, walking on glass is not so bad.

</rant>

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Agreed ... I just accept the Folder Player because there is no point in getting upset about it .. it is what it is. (I'll pick my Battles with Honda .. you can't win them all).

If you feel adventurous, you can always always install a better player .. with a little BRUTE FORCE :banghead:

PowerAmp - Powerful music player for Android.
Black Player EX - Another Powerful music player for Android.

mariaa

First Name
Mariaa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ferrari
Country flag
Hey…If your USB device is unrecognized or showing USB flash drive showing no media errormessage then, you can run the hardware troubleshooter to fix it immediately. To do so, simply press Windows + X keys and click the Control panel > change the view to small icons > Troubleshooting > Hardware & Sound > Configure a device. Doing so can solve your undetected USB drive problem easily.

mebert

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic LX-P
Country flag
This has been bugging me for a long time so I finally sat down to figure it out. I have a lot of USB drives and some work and some don't. After trying all the combinations, what works is any USB drive size 32GB or smaller formatted in MS DOS (FAT 32). Both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 worked as long as they were 32GB or smaller. Hope that helps.

I know some people reported the Samsung FIT 64GB worked. I have a few PNY and Kingston drives that are 64GB and none of them work regardless of format or USB 2 vs 3.
Sponsored