USB device not recognized...

NickfromSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, i loaded up a flash drive with my music and it works great... Until i shut my car off and then the next time i come back and turn it on it will say USB device not recognized until i unplug the flash drive and re-plug it in 1-5 times. Does anyone else have this problem or know of a fix?

Also, the other day i reversed out of my driveway, and then put the car in drive and pulled off. My back-up camera remained on the entire time, no matter what i tried. The only thing that worked was turning the car off, getting out, locking the doors, then getting back in and turning the car on again. Bizarre.

I love this car, but i feel that i should get the extended warranty because of the technology and electronics.
Sponsored

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (MSM/BLK)
Vehicle Showcase
I have not experienced that. I have a 32GB drive that I store music on and I use the USB jack in the front bottom of the console. It is always there when I start my car. Never had it complain about it.

I would reboot your infotainment unit by pressing the Audio Power button (in the upper left) for ~5 seconds and answer yes to the confirmation. I would be curious to know if this changes what you are experiencing.

hondamitch51

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring ; 2016 CRV Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have not experienced that. I have a 32GB drive that I store music on and I use the USB jack in the front bottom of the console. It is always there when I start my car. Never had it complain about it.

I would reboot your infotainment unit by pressing the Audio Power button (in the upper left) for ~5 seconds and answer yes to the confirmation. I would be curious to know if this changes what you are experiencing.
I had called Honda Tech support about the flash drives and they didn't recommend anything larger than 64 GB. The larger sizes are causing the problems. This is why your 32 is working as it should.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I had called Honda Tech support about the flash drives and they didn't recommend anything larger than 64 GB. The larger sizes are causing the problems. This is why your 32 is working as it should.
Sigh. Just got my 128GB. After looking in the manual. And finding no such guidance.

hondamitch51

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring ; 2016 CRV Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sigh. Just got my 128GB. After looking in the manual. And finding no such guidance.
Yes, it's not in the manual! I'm sure that you can find some other use for the 128 GB drive. Try a 32 or 64 GB drive first.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, it's not in the manual! I'm sure that you can find some other use for the 128 GB drive. Try a 32 or 64 GB drive first.
I'll try the 128 and see how it goes. Maybe even someday Honda will fix some of the bugs? Maybe?

OP
OP
NickfromSD

NickfromSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Thank you, i didnt know that holding the audio button offered a soft reset. Ill try it in the morning and report back in the next few days on whether or not it's stopped.

Its only an 8GB drive fyi

CosmicX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6M
Country flag
Check the file system on that drive. I do not know if NTFS works, but I do know FAT32 does work, at least for me.
Plug the drive in your computer. Go to: My Computer Right click on the removeable drive, and select Properties.
File system is listed there. If your's is listed as NTFS, you could try: 1) back up your files to your computer. 2) re-format to FAT32
(search google for "how to format a thumb drive to fat32"). Copy/paste your files back on drive, and cross fingers.
Note: max drive size for FAT32 format = 32Gb

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My new 128gb came FAT32.

2016TouringSLC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
my samgsung fit 128gb works perfectly
I tested with a Lexar 16GB, and it worked flawlessly and started playing music immediately. So I bought a 128GB Lexar JumpDrive S75 and it is hit or miss and never starts playing right after a car start. So it appears we may be on to something with size issues for USB drives.

DC2TURBO, is your Samsung Fit formatted at FAT32 or NTFS? Any other tips on how you've organized your music files on the USB drive? What file format are you using - MP3, WMA or AAC?

I've ordered a Samsung Fit in hopes it will finally solve this problem. I love this car, and when the audio system works, it puts out decent sound, but the skips and hangs playing digital music files are driving me crazy.

It amazes me that for a $.50 3.5mm input plug, all of these issues could have been avoided or at least easily worked around.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
I tested with a Lexar 16GB, and it worked flawlessly and started playing music immediately. So I bought a 128GB Lexar JumpDrive S75 and it is hit or miss and never starts playing right after a car start. So it appears we may be on to something with size issues for USB drives.

DC2TURBO, is your Samsung Fit formatted at FAT32 or NTFS? Any other tips on how you've organized your music files on the USB drive? What file format are you using - MP3, WMA or AAC?

I've ordered a Samsung Fit in hopes it will finally solve this problem. I love this car, and when the audio system works, it puts out decent sound, but the skips and hangs playing digital music files are driving me crazy.

It amazes me that for a $.50 3.5mm input plug, all of these issues could have been avoided or at least easily worked around.
they come pre formated fat32.
mp3 files only
it auto starts playing for me but takes a few second to load when starting the car

OP
OP
NickfromSD

NickfromSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 8gb USB 2.0 drive is formatted fat32 as well. My music is organized in two folders, "all music" and "recently added".

I tried the soft reboot suggestion offered above and it did not help. Sometimes i turn my car on and it takes a minute or two for the device to be recognized and start playing, other times it doesnt work at all and i have to unplug and plug it back in multiple times. I'm working 40 hrs a week and going to school full time so its hard for me to find time to experiment with different variables. If someone could experiment with ntfs vs fat32, playlists vs no playlists, and different types of flashdrives and sizes, that'd be rad.
Sponsored