Urgent Guidance needed! Fk8 2017 or 2021?

VashTheStampede

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, FK7, EG2
Country flag
This place is full of weird misinformation about the changes post 2020. No, it’s not just “a little faster suspension”.

The 2020/21 has improved and lightened brake rotors that are now two piece, the suspension reacts 10x faster to changes, the grille is 13% larger, there’s a 90g counterweighted shifter, stiffened rear lower arms, low friction ball joints in the front with stiffer compliance bushings, in addition to Lane keep, adaptive cruise, (the somewhat annoying) active sound, etc.

See here: https://www.thedrive.com/news/32292...e-2020-honda-civic-type-r-and-why-they-matter

Also, please see this review:

As a former AP1 S2000 owner that had the awful fortune of watching AP2 S2000 prices inflate faster and go higher than the AP1 due to similar changes, I can promise you that the 20/21 is a better buy. There are far fewer of them, and they have had many incremental improvements over the prior years - updated valve covers, changes to improve reliability, fuel pump reliability, etc.

I’m not sure why people are downplaying these changes, but I can tell you from honest experience with owning both that the 20/21 is the better and easier car for me to drive faster.
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
lol full of misinformation.

if you plan on keeping the vehicle stock, sure i can say the changes can be worth it.
but for someone who always mods their cars, most of the things will be touched/changed.
  • 2 pc brake rotors - you can always go girodisc or paragons
  • suspension reacting faster - if you go coilovers, it wont matter
  • shifter - easily changed if you want to
  • grille is larger - who cares, car still overheats
  • all of the bushings - if you want "stiffer" bushings, go buy rv6 components and call it a day.
  • honda sensing stuff - guess its useful if you daily the car. if not, who cares.
the changes are pointless to people who plan on modding the car or making it into a strict track car.

this is much less of a change compared to a ap1 vs ap2 since they actually got an increase in displacement along with the other minor changes.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Maybe I'm the odd one out but I actually preferred the AP1 being able to wind out another 1k to a screaming 9k RPM redline, despite it being "slower". To me, 2003 was the best year. :cool:

My mechanic Billman ripping his around the Dragon...

Last edited:

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
This place is full of weird misinformation about the changes post 2020. No, it’s not just “a little faster suspension”.

The 2020/21 has improved and lightened brake rotors that are now two piece, the suspension reacts 10x faster to changes, the grille is 13% larger, there’s a 90g counterweighted shifter, stiffened rear lower arms, low friction ball joints in the front with stiffer compliance bushings, in addition to Lane keep, adaptive cruise, (the somewhat annoying) active sound, etc.

See here: https://www.thedrive.com/news/32292...e-2020-honda-civic-type-r-and-why-they-matter

Also, please see this review:

As a former AP1 S2000 owner that had the awful fortune of watching AP2 S2000 prices inflate faster and go higher than the AP1 due to similar changes, I can promise you that the 20/21 is a better buy. There are far fewer of them, and they have had many incremental improvements over the prior years - updated valve covers, changes to improve reliability, fuel pump reliability, etc.

I’m not sure why people are downplaying these changes, but I can tell you from honest experience with owning both that the 20/21 is the better and easier car for me to drive faster.
Agreed. I had a 2019 and thought it couldn't possibly be improved upon. Was wrong - really enjoying my 21 better thought I am shocked to be saying / feeling that way. And the suspension difference is massive - I've hit known bumps on roads around me with the 21 that would set my teeth in the 19 without much drama.

I'd get a 21 over a 17 for sure if money is no object.

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
Hi,
@Eugene_Fk8 I don't mean to hijack this thread, but is there another thread about swapping out the CTR infotainment system for the Accord's? Is it substantially better? Thanks!
For correction, I actually mean AC control stuff under the screen.
You can swap the ctr ac control to an accord one or an 2021 version. Infotainment system & screen is either 2020+ swap or aftermarket system that I have see someone did to have wireless carplay and android auto with better response time. (Don't know where he did that)

caraholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU, 981S, F430
Country flag
I would go with a 2021 at realistic prices but these prices out there now make no sense to me wether that be the 17 or the 21. Happy shopping but I’m waiting till they return to a more reasonable level.

lexro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2006, Civic Sedan Sport 2019, Type R 2021
Country flag
A friend of mine made a comment about the price increase of 2020 and 2021 models. "for me it's the engine, rest are all cosmetics and modding"
and for some reason that hit hard lol.
2017 hands down in this case. too much electronics in the 2021 model if you're only looking to track the car.

lexro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2006, Civic Sedan Sport 2019, Type R 2021
Country flag

if you plan on keeping the vehicle stock, sure i can say the changes can be worth it.
but for someone who always mods their cars, most of the things will be touched/changed.
  • all of the bushings - if you want "stiffer" bushings, go buy rv6 components and call it a day.
  • honda sensing stuff - guess its useful if you daily the car. if not, who cares.
the changes are pointless to people who plan on modding the car or making it into a strict track car.

this is much less of a change compared to a ap1 vs ap2 since they actually got an increase in displacement along with the other minor changes.
exactly, if keeping the car stock, of course the improved components make quite a difference. but if all will be swapped out anyway, why does it matter?

Mr. X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R #45600
Country flag
I say get the R! ?

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
I would almost always, and would in this case, buy the newer car. And not for the minor updates in the 2021.

VashTheStampede

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, FK7, EG2
Country flag

I hate this argument that “WULL WULL ITS JUST AS GOOD IF I BUY THE ENTIRE AUTOZONE CATALOGUE!”
I used to make that argument about my swapped/modded CRX when I wanted it to be faster than my friend’s ITR. lol

No. Modded cars are garbage for resale and warranty. The AP1 to AP2 engine change is also a red herring, the F22 is a small change compared to the upgraded transmission, suspension, interior, wheels, etc. The larger motor actually drives some of those guys bonkers, since Europe and Asia got the other improvements but kept the F20C - and we all love revving to 9000. ?

Last edited:

VashTheStampede

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, FK7, EG2
Country flag
Maybe I'm the odd one out but I actually preferred the AP1 being able to wind out another 1k to a screaming 9k RPM redline, despite it being "slower". To me, 2003 was the best year. :cool:

My mechanic Billman ripping his around the Dragon...

Billman is such a big help in that community. Can’t say enough nice things about him. ?

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag

Exactly. Just get a regular civic and mod the crap out of it. Why even get a type r. Skys the limit if you got the budget.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I hate this argument that “WULL WULL ITS JUST AS GOOD IF I BUY THE ENTIRE AUTOZONE CATALOGUE!”
I used to make that argument about my swapped/modded CRX when I wanted it to be faster than my friend’s ITR. lol

No. Modded cars are garbage for resale and warranty. The AP1 to AP2 engine change is also a red herring, the F22 is a small change compared to the upgraded transmission, suspension, interior, wheels, etc. The larger motor actually drives some of those guys bonkers, since Europe and Asia got the other improvements but kept the F20C - and we all love revving to 9000. ?
i brought up RV6 and paragon stuff because those are imo superior than oem parts.
if you dont want to be "modded" with aftermarket components, you can just buy 2020 oem components. they are all interchangeable and its not like its super expensive.
the only thing the 2020 has over the earlier gen that is not really swappable is different suspension management. (and LogR if that is your kinda thing)

if the cost is the same, then i would for sure get the newer car but thats unfortunately not the case.

though, i do agree with you about everyone loving to rev to 9k as i owned 03 ap1 for about 10 years and sold it 3 years ago.
Sponsored