Upgrading sound system with sub or more?

djk80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Hi, just curious if anyone has upgraded their sound system at all or run into any issues? I have a 2016 Civic EX and looking at possibly putting a sub in the trunk. (Do kids still do that nowadays it was popular for me in highschool? haha)

Anyways just curious if anyone else has or is looking into it or what they have done.

Thanks,
Sponsored

Dmon65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Burgundy Night Pearl 2016 Civic EX-T
First post and it's in the audio modding section...

I'm actually talking to the dealership about getting the sub, and amp I'm guessing, from a Touring replacement installed in mine. Probably looking at a new back deck, with the sub hole cut out already. Traded in my 2007 SI on this car and it had a a factory installed open air sub that sounded great! Figure I'll give OEM another go here first. Gotta get pricing all lined out first, hope to do that next week when I go in about the CVT surging reflash.

Dmon65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, had a technician check on what would be involved in installing a Touring sub into my new EX-T while getting the turbo surge flash done. His final diagnosis was that the wiring harness was so different, between the Touring and any of the other models, that it would be easier and cheaper to go aftermarket.

So much for that OEM open air sub.

Obviously there quite a few differences between the Touring wiring and the lower models. Also checked on buying the Touring headlights to have them installed there. They said the wiring was not there to support those lights either. More aftermarket there too.

iPunkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I take it by your looking to upgrade the sound system that the 180w system in the EX - EX-L is, shall we say, crapola? I'm currently debating whether the audio system in the Touring is worth the upgrade from the EX-L.

Last edited:

RallyeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just a word of caution, I talked to a Honda tech at my dealer, and he said a guy who bought a touring model installed an aftermarket sub and amp and he completely screwed up the electronics in the car. It was throwing all kinds of codes.

Be careful and know what your doing if you plan on doing this.

Dmon65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I take it by your looking to upgrade the sound system that the 160w system in the EX - EX-L is, shall we say, crapola? I'm currently debating whether the audio system in the Touring is worth the upgrade from the EX-L.
Not Crapola... Actually not bad, just no low end sustain or ring. Not looking my car to be bouncing off the ground with each bass hit, but my Linkin Park or She wants Revenge is a little flat without some good bass response. If your musical preference isn't bass-heavy this system will be fantastic!

I'm a bass player. Lets just call it a need to do my homework while driving!

But the OEM system is not junk.

Dmon65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a word of caution, I talked to a Honda tech at my dealer, and he said a guy who bought a touring model installed an aftermarket sub and amp and he completely screwed up the electronics in the car. It was throwing all kinds of codes.

Be careful and know what your doing if you plan on doing this.
Most definitely!

If this was one of the experimental resto-mods we were doing here i'd have no problem wiring this myself. Can't hurt a 70 Caprice too bad!

This beastie is going to a good audio shop!

Last edited:

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None

NickfromSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks! Did you use a certain wiring harness?
it is a cheap walmart or target 6ga wiring kit i bought years back for my old car. I ran power through the firewall (rubber grommet behind brake pedal) along the driver side to my amp in the trunk. ground wire is connected to whatever is in the center of the top of the trunk (2 bolts holding on a sensor or something?). Signal is tapped from the rear speakers (amplifier has a speaker level input). Works flawlessly.

I own an EX by the way so it didnt come with ANY subwoofer.
Sponsored