Upgrading intercooler without bumper removal ??

CW20038TypeR

First Name
Franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW type r 2018
Country flag
I saw a video on YouTube where someone stated this is possible...

Can anyone chime in if it’s possible to install an intercoolwr without removing the bumper ???

I am worried about all the clips and bumper sagging over time when removing it
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I saw a video on YouTube where someone stated this is possible...

Can anyone chime in if it’s possible to install an intercoolwr without removing the bumper ???

I am worried about all the clips and bumper sagging over time when removing it
I've only seen one video of this from Togue Factory where they installed a PRL intercooler. They did this by removing the bottom panel underneath it. I'd imagine it works, but is an extremely tight fit and requires you to stand under your car. I also wouldn't expect an intercooler larger than the PRL to fit through the opening.

Edit: note that I haven't actually ever tried installing the intercooler like this.

OP
OP

CW20038TypeR

First Name
Franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW type r 2018
Country flag
Let’s say hks

No I would have access to a lift. Friends shop so being under is not a problem.

I just want to know if anyone successfully did it.

I know the gap around the headlights, and side markers etc grows with bumper removals

ManEatingPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I can see it being done with the PRL intercooler since it can use the factory piping but the HKS requires you to change out the piping with their own set. I'm sure this will add whole new layer of difficulty

OP
OP

CW20038TypeR

First Name
Franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW type r 2018
Country flag
In that case if careful are you guys noticing gaps on the bumper especially around the side markers ?

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Let’s say hks

No I would have access to a lift. Friends shop so being under is not a problem.

I just want to know if anyone successfully did it.

I know the gap around the headlights, and side markers etc grows with bumper removals
You will need to remove the bumper for the HKS intercooler install. The air shroud that goes around the intercooler needs to be trimmed.

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
not possible lol. Possibly it is, but why go through the trouble. Just remove the front bumper its not hard at all.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
not possible lol. Possibly it is, but why go through the trouble. Just remove the front bumper its not hard at all.
This is the video the OP might have been referencing. I saw it as well when I got my PRL intercooler. I was very surprised, but it does look like it would work. It'd be a very tight fit though. This wouldn't work on anything that needed to attach differently or use it's own tubing.

OP
OP

CW20038TypeR

First Name
Franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW type r 2018
Country flag
Did you read?

I’m concern about the gaps..... it’s not a matter of difficulty or not.

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 CW Type R
Country flag
Did you read?

I’m concern about the gaps..... it’s not a matter of difficulty or not.
If you’re questioning if you can fit the bumper back on without gaps your questioning your ability so yes he did read and commented.

It’s a bumper, it’s easy. If you can’t remove the bumper just have someone else install the intercooler else we’ll have to see another thread.

OP
OP

CW20038TypeR

First Name
Franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW type r 2018
Country flag
If you’re questioning if you can fit the bumper back on without gaps your questioning your ability so yes he did read and commented.

It’s a bumper, it’s easy. If you can’t remove the bumper just have someone else install the intercooler else we’ll have to see another thread.
Yet another useless post

I’ve seen people’s bumpers with gaps and was wondering if there was another alternative without removing it because I chanced on a video that said it was possible.

Where the hell did you get that I’m questioning my ability ? Lol, are you a mind reader ? If so you are doing a bad job.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Yet another useless post

I’ve seen people’s bumpers with gaps and was wondering if there was another alternative without removing it because I chanced on a video that said it was possible.

Where the hell did you get that I’m questioning my ability ? Lol, are you a mind reader ? If so you are doing a bad job.
To be honest, the bumper can come with some pretty unsightly gaps from the factory. As long as you put everything back appropriately, it should have gaps no larger than what you have now.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To be honest, the bumper can come with some pretty unsightly gaps from the factory. As long as you put everything back appropriately, it should have gaps no larger than what you have now.
The tabs to hold the bumper are notoriously prone to warping and bending especially after bumper removal. Up close, you can see more of a gap on the headlights than I originally had - thanks to my accident - but you can't notice it from any sort of distance, so I chose to leave it.

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 CW Type R
Country flag
Yet another useless post

As I said you're doubting your ability by lacking confidence about whether you can re-install it correctly then come off like an asshole. If you were confident you wouldn't be concerned...

I see you lost a socket being an amateur in another thread questioning if "it's stuck on something vital" so clearly you're not as skilled nor as knowledgable as you think.

OP
OP

CW20038TypeR

First Name
Franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW type r 2018
Country flag
As I said you're doubting your ability by lacking confidence about whether you can re-install it correctly then come off like an asshole. If you were confident you wouldn't be concerned...

I see you lost a socket being an amateur in another thread questioning if "it's stuck on something vital" so clearly you're not as skilled nor as knowledgable as you think.
Again jumping to conclusions.

1.) I never said I was going to install it myself, yet you continuously assumed this. Whether I do it myself or not is not the problem at hand. It’s the bumper gap that occurs with removal and weakening of the structure.

You obviously failed at reading comprehension and are very poor at mind reading. I feel sorry for your gf/ wife.

2.) If you actually read, others also have the issue. So obviously it’s a problem many have encountered. Locally I’ve seen way more than one car hence me making the thread. This has nothing about my abilities but a concern that I’ve noticed and my ocd for bumper alignment.

2.) Were you there when I dropped the socket? Or are you assuming again that you knew what happened or how it happened? Have you heard of the word accident ? What does that thread have to do with this ? Or are you the one being a dick ?

Maybe you should stop being a fkn asshole and contribute in meaningful ways. Why are you wasting your time ? Go make money man instead of replying here with meaningless Posts cause you seem miserable.

This thread would actually be helpful if people didn’t trash it like you because if there was an alternative way I bet some wouldn’t mind attempting or requesting for it to be installed that way.
Sponsored

Last edited: