Upgrading intercooler without bumper removal ??

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Would it be viable to pre-buy the clips that are used, then when you remove the bumper for the install, just use new clips, so as to avoid the issue you are concerned about?

I think that'd be the best option - the chances of you damaging the hole or securing point unless you really yank on things is low - but there is a chance for warping the little clips that go in there, as they can be a bear depending on age and dirt accumulation.

Just pre-buy all those little fasteners and replace as part of the install when you put it back together.

I think that would resolve your issues / concerns. Good luck!
Sponsored

OP
OP

CW20038TypeR

First Name
Franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW type r 2018
Country flag
Would it be viable to pre-buy the clips that are used, then when you remove the bumper for the install, just use new clips, so as to avoid the issue you are concerned about?

I think that'd be the best option - the chances of you damaging the hole or securing point unless you really yank on things is low - but there is a chance for warping the little clips that go in there, as they can be a bear depending on age and dirt accumulation.

Just pre-buy all those little fasteners and replace as part of the install when you put it back together.

I think that would resolve your issues / concerns. Good luck!
Thank you.

I’m actually considering this. A friend of mine did the same thing. He bought all the necessary clips to replace and actually ended up using them cause he ended up with a gap bigger than he wanted.

OP
OP

CW20038TypeR

First Name
Franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW type r 2018
Country flag
For anyone interested. I’ve attached the list of parts needed.

My friend literally just got done doing this and sent me the part #’s

If anyone has the gap issue, these parts helped him.

Honda Civic 10th gen Upgrading intercooler without bumper removal ?? E28A3918-ACC4-4CFA-A697-EC51FDFA339F

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
I broke one clip on each of the first 2 items of your parts list and had to purchase those.

Also for the side of the bumper where the marker light is, remove the marker light first so you can push in on the tabs holding the bumper corner, that way you won't have to pull it as much and risk breaking a clip or bumper tab. Don't forget to use lots of painters tape to prevent scratches.

As for gaps, I have removed my bumper 3 times and the gaps haven't changed since new. First time I just followed a video pulling the bumper away from the car like a savage. That's how I broke those 2 headlight clips. Didn't realize which clips I broke until after putting the bumper back on. Removed a second time to try and glue the found broken clips back on, put bumper back on and they broken again, removed 3rd time to install new clip brackets lol. Now shes good.

I can't imagine and haven't seen anyone do an intercooler install without removing the bumper on these forums. Would be interesting to see pics if you do it. Missing from your list is some of the plastic push clips from the bottom of the bumper and there are 2 different kinds that hold the weather strip on where the hood and bumper meet. I grabbed a bag of each super cheap off Ebay before I started.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
even if you get new clips and brackets, if you don't remove the bumper carefully and correctly, you can damage the tabs on the bumper itself which can equate to gaps too.
Bingo, that's what happened with mine, the tabs are FUBAR so the bumper cover sags. Like I said, it's minor so I just live with it. The fact that it wasn't manufactured well enough to not do this is pretty annoying.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
even if you get new clips and brackets, if you don't remove the bumper carefully and correctly, you can damage the tabs on the bumper itself which can equate to gaps too.
Yep, I had one pull away at the corner by the marker light. I was luckily able to fix it since it didn’t break all the way off. I can’t tell for sure but the only thing that may have changed slightly from all the removing is the corners stick out a tad more than they used to just under the markers, the very very most corner. I recently got the JDM markers which are thicker than the OEM yellows and now you can’t see the corners anymore, dunno if it had always been that way or not, it was subtle.

The cheapness of the plastic on this car is amazing though, look at it sideways and plastic breaks. I carefully removed the boomerangs on the sides of the shifter for my Mugen push button start install and they bent up at the bottoms where I had placed my plastic pry tool. Replaced them during re-installation. At least none of this stuff costs anything when you gotta replace it. Shipping is usually just as expensive as the parts.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I see how they did the install without removing the bumper...however I'd think it's tough when it comes to trimming. I have hks and I want to say that trimming those two pieces that go around the intercooler would be tough.
Sponsored