Upgrading headlights on 2018 Civic EX-T?

benonemusic

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Hi, I’m a first-time poster. I did some searches but couldn’t quite find exactly the information I was seeking so my apologies if this has all been discussed elsewhere.

I love my 2018 Civic EX-T completely except for one thing: the stock headlights. As I’m progressing into middle age, even with up-to-date prescription glasses, local roads look very dark at night and the headlights don’t seem to provide sufficient illumination.

As I’m sure many of you know, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety rated the 2018 Civic headlights as poor, but the LEDs in the 2020 Civic as good and the same is true for the 2020 Insight, also rated as good.

Now, I don’t want to trade in my older Civic just for better headlights! But I don’t know what to do. As might be expected, my Honda dealer said they don’t offer headlight upgrades to my car.

I have seen the various aftermarket solutions but I don’t know how effective they really are. And I don’t want to get lights that would disrupt the vision of drivers in oncoming cars.

I am not handy enough to install my own lights so I’d have to seek out a local installer. I don’t know what kinds of installers would do this kind of work reputably. Finally I’d be interested in knowing how much better headlights plus installation would cost.

Any recommendations and advice are welcome!

Thanks!
Ben
Sponsored

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T sedan, '12 LX sedan
Country flag
My '89 had great headlights, my 2008 weren't quite as good, my 2012 are the same degree poorer than the' 08. My '16's have been replaced with Sealite Xenower X2' s on the lows and Aukey's on the high beams. Jury is still out, I haven't tried it at night yet

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
You can have someone rebuild your headlights with HID projectors retrofitted inside. That will give you a better output than any aftermarket bulb in your factory headlight, and also better output than the 2020 Civic with OEM LED. This should project should cost a fraction of acquiring new OEM LED.

Under no circumstance do I recommend anybody actively seeking the OEM LED lights unless the car already came with them. They have a fantastic bright turn signal, and beyond that it's just a heap of negatives.

OP
OP

benonemusic

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Last edited:

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
Yeah I don't want to speak to costs for you because I'm in Canada, and even with the conversion stuff just costs way more. Like I think the OEM lights were $1,200 PER SIDE when I got a quote at the dealer out of curiosity. I recall estimates of like $800 for a reputable local builder to do Civic retrofit. I went neither of these routes but just speaks to cost a little bit.

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hello,

I built these 2017 civic si headlights myself because i wasn't satisfied with lighting at night. I have a complete walk though diy if you want to give it a shot. It is a step by step process.

I went from this
Honda Civic 10th gen Upgrading headlights on 2018 Civic EX-T? IMG_0696.JPG

To this and these are only low beams
Honda Civic 10th gen Upgrading headlights on 2018 Civic EX-T? IMG_1079.JPG

I also painted the headlights satin black
Honda Civic 10th gen Upgrading headlights on 2018 Civic EX-T? IMG_1225.JPG

This took me 4 days to complete
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/diy-hid-projector-retrofit.47997/

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I always recommend Katana's off of Amazon. There's an 11 page thread on them that i started a while ago.

OP
OP

benonemusic

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Hi everyone, I went to an excellent auto customization company, ATO Autosports, in Parkville, Maryland today. I had discussed with them the various options, including a number of the amazing solutions mentioned in this thread, and they helped me decide on what was the best option for me, in terms of a combination of cost and professional installation. Ultimately, they installed Putco Nitro-Lux LED bulbs into my Civic. They seem really good and appear to meet my needs. I haven't done much driving in the dark yet, but I will add any impressions I have. Thanks again for all the help.

KingGio

First Name
Giordano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Hi, I’m a first-time poster. I did some searches but couldn’t quite find exactly the information I was seeking so my apologies if this has all been discussed elsewhere.

I love my 2018 Civic EX-T completely except for one thing: the stock headlights. As I’m progressing into middle age, even with up-to-date prescription glasses, local roads look very dark at night and the headlights don’t seem to provide sufficient illumination.

As I’m sure many of you know, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety rated the 2018 Civic headlights as poor, but the LEDs in the 2020 Civic as good and the same is true for the 2020 Insight, also rated as good.

Now, I don’t want to trade in my older Civic just for better headlights! But I don’t know what to do. As might be expected, my Honda dealer said they don’t offer headlight upgrades to my car.

I have seen the various aftermarket solutions but I don’t know how effective they really are. And I don’t want to get lights that would disrupt the vision of drivers in oncoming cars.

I am not handy enough to install my own lights so I’d have to seek out a local installer. I don’t know what kinds of installers would do this kind of work reputably. Finally I’d be interested in knowing how much better headlights plus installation would cost.

Any recommendations and advice are welcome!

Thanks!
Ben
Is it the housing that's the issue? As in the lenses have become foggy? Or is it the bulbs, bc my civic stock came with some ugly halogens that weren't all that great at night, but I replaced those with brighter white led bulbs that I can actually use both low beams and high beams on, unlike what my car had stock. They look super dope in the nighttime as well, better than ugly yellow.

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T sedan, '12 LX sedan
Country flag
Is it the housing that's the issue? As in the lenses have become foggy? Or is it the bulbs, bc my civic stock came with some ugly halogens that weren't all that great at night, but I replaced those with brighter white led bulbs that I can actually use both low beams and high beams on, unlike what my car had stock. They look super dope in the nighttime as well, better than ugly yellow.
I added a comment earlier in this thread about the jury being out - well, it's in. I had to install load resistors on my high beams to prevent flicker (the passenger side "high" was winking), and since, there have been no problems. I won't go back to halogens again, I ordered a set of LED H13's for my F150 and full set (9005's and 9006's) for my son's 2012 civic.

OP
OP

benonemusic

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I don't think it was the housing as it appeared clear, not foggy. My LEDs have provided improvements, not dramatic ones, but improvements nonetheless.

KingGio

First Name
Giordano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
I don't think it was the housing as it appeared clear, not foggy. My LEDs have provided improvements, not dramatic ones, but improvements nonetheless.
That's good, the led's i got definitely helped compared to my halogens that didn't even have a high beam option, looks better in the night time too, not old, more modern and stylish.
Sponsored