Upgrading existing speakers vs adding a subwoofer.

3seven1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
My first thought was to throw a nice subwoofer and an amp in the truck so that I can get some bass. I liked the set up that was suggested here in another thread and also when I went to an audio shop:www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-subwoofer-systems-amplified-microsub.

However, I started to think about maybe just replacing the 4 6.7" speakers and the 4 tweeters with something better and getting an amp to run those. I don't need a ton of bass but I would like something better than stock. Any thoughts on going one way or the other?

I'm also wondering if changing the speakers and adding an amp will mess up anything else as far as the head unit goes. Will I still be able to adjust Bass-Mid-Treble Front/Back fading left/right as I can now? All suggestions and pictures welcome!
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Speakers will be easier to install, and cheaper.
The amp+subwoofer will make much more difference to the overall sound though.

You decide which one is more important to you.

If you use speaker level signal to your amp, as long as you keep all channels separate all headunit settings will be the same. If you start using low channel LCIs for your signal then you may lose fader/balance depending on how you set it up.

My absolutely unscientific advice, is that if you're under 50, get a sub+amp first. The addition of low end drowns out some of the terrible audio quality with stock speakers. Changing out just the speakers for high quality ones will actually make you realize how much bass is missing.

OP
OP

3seven1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
My absolutely unscientific advice, is that if you're under 50, get a sub+amp first.
This was my first instinct. For sure that would put some thump in my truck and get me what I think i've been wanting/missing from my music. I'm just wondering how well it would integrate into my stock system. I've never had a touch screen in my car either so i'd hate to mess up anything there.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
The stock system aggressively cuts low-end signal. I'm not entirely familiar with the EX's audio setup, but if it's typical of any Honda without an advertised premium audio system, it'll be similar. You'll have to tap into existing lines to recover lows, most people use an LC2i and tap into the rear speaker signals out of convenience due to location and proximity to the amp.

Won't mess anything up with your head unit.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
+1 for adding the sub. To add in some science, I'm currently reading this book by a guy who's spent most of his life doing psychoacoustic research. In a large double-blind test of untrained listeners evaluating home speakers (without subs), he found "the average bass extension - the low-cutoff frequency - progressively decreases as the fidelity rating increases. The listeners liked low bass - not more bass, in the sense that it is boosted, but bass extended to lower frequencies...the relationship between the fidelity rating and the low-frequency cutoff reached a maximum correlation for cutoff frequencies determined at the -10 dB level. Bearing in mind that this is a correlation achieved with all other factors varying indicates that bass extension is a very important factor in overall sound quality evaluations."

Using something like an LC2i and a sub like @inv4zn mentioned to offset the factory's signal rolloff of the bottom two octaves (20-40Hz and 40-80Hz, eight out of the 10 octaves we're able to hear) will improve things more than even the best 6.5" component set could, IMO.

Last edited:

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
+1 for adding the sub. To add in some science, I'm currently reading this book by a guy who's spent most of his life doing psychoacoustic research. In a large double-blind test of untrained listeners evaluating home speakers, he found "the average bass extension - the low-cutoff frequency - progressively decreases as the fidelity rating increases. The listeners liked low bass - not more bass, in the sense that it is boosted, but bass extended to lower frequencies...the relationship between the fidelity rating and the low-frequency cutoff reached a maximum correlation for cutoff frequencies determined at the -10 dB level. Bearing in mind that this is a correlation achieved with all other factors varying indicates that bass extension is a very important factor in overall sound quality evaluations."
How can something be so interesting and so boring at the same time?? Hahaha

Bass is one of those things that most people don't realize is missing, until they hear it.

I had a full aftermarket sound system in my previous car, and I must admit the upgraded sound system of the Touring was one reason why I got it. Crappy stock bass is still going to be better than no bass at all.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I must admit the upgraded sound system of the Touring was one reason why I got it. Crappy stock bass is still going to be better than no bass at all.
Same here. With your sub rattle fix in place, it's not too bad. Or at least on some songs. I'll still upgrade eventually, but it's not torture like a lot of OEM systems.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
get a cheap sub in a box add a cheap amp have it installed, i think you'll be glad you did. i put mine behind the drivers seat with the amp mounted under the rear deck. only a ten inch. can simply move it to the trunk hooked up and all. sounds like a sub woofer in the trunk when back there. i have a feeling to get good bass from the rear deck speakers would be hit or miss, no matter how much you spend. which is why i recommend the sub first.

edit: i did it myself, that's why i recommend having it done.

Last edited:

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
i put mine behind the drivers seat with the amp mounted under the rear deck.
Got any pics of that? I'd like to see how you did that. I've been thinking of using that spot.

OP
OP

3seven1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
So far this has been very helpful. Thank you for the replies. I know what I need to do now. Subwoofer and upgraded speakers all around!

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Upgrading existing speakers vs adding a subwoofer. SAM_0527_zpsa5jcc32c

seat all the way back with proper recline, i personally don't need it this far back. for an extra passenger just fold down the seat and move it to the trunk. this is a 10 inch. 50 dollars. sounds very good for the money but being a bass head might not last for the long run, as i might want just those last few hz. no rattles only speaker distortion when volume is to loud. powered by an mb quart 4 channel amp for the rear deck speakers and bridged for the sub. i did place sound crap on the deck and screwed the speakers down.

forgot to mention i don't have a split rear seat.

Last edited:

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag