Upgrading Center Speakers & Door Tweeters ('20 SI Coupe)

DOZOIR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe (lunar silver)
Country flag
Ref: 2020 Civic SI Coupe

I have read through many threads in this forum about upgrading the center speaker
and door tweeters with no other modification to the 10 speaker Premium Audio System.

I spoke to Crutchfield today and was advised of the following:

1) The center speaker is a « stereo input speaker» instead of a 2-way speaker.
Is this right? How is it that forum members are replacing their center
dash speakers with 2-way speakers such as the JL Audio C2-350x ?

2) The door tweeters Ohm rating according to Crutchfield is 2.9 ohms. Yet, I see forum
members installing tweeters such as Hertz DT 24.3 at 4 ohms. Wouldn't this decrease the
volume of the tweeters and harm the amp?

I just want to make sure that I am being advised correctly.

Thank you for your feedback.
Sponsored

Last edited:

EP3R-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MR/MGM CB500F, 2018 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
1) When I replaced mine, my oem center was a single voice coil one way driver. I can't imagine they changed that from my 2018.

2) They are correct on the oem impedance being lower than 4 ohms. Impedance is not the only factor in the final volume of the speaker, though. If you get a speaker with a high sensitivity rating it's possible to offset having a higher impedance. Having a higher impedance lowers the amount of current pumped out by the amp so its likely that your amp will run cooler with a higher impedance.

OP
OP
DOZOIR

DOZOIR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe (lunar silver)
Country flag
1) When I replaced mine, my oem center was a single voice coil one way driver. I can't imagine they changed that from my 2018.

2) They are correct on the oem impedance being lower than 4 ohms. Impedance is not the only factor in the final volume of the speaker, though. If you get a speaker with a high sensitivity rating it's possible to offset having a higher impedance. Having a higher impedance lowers the amount of current pumped out by the amp so its likely that your amp will run cooler with a higher impedance.
Thank you for the reply.

I interested to know what replacement speaker brand and model that you used for the center speaker.

EP3R-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MR/MGM CB500F, 2018 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
I went with the Infinity Reference REF-3032CFX. I will say that it was not a perfect fit. I had to elongate the mounting holes on the speaker into ovals and I had to trim some plastic on the bottom of the speaker cover. If I hadn't modified it, it would twist the speaker cover and I hated the way it looked. I don't know if thats a common issue among other speakers as well, or if it's limited to just the one I got.

That being said, it does sound much better than what was in there oem.
Sponsored