Upgraded my 2020 Hatchback Sport's High Beams, Low Beams, and Fog lights to LEDS from Sealight but some obstacles came in the way

Danny17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX
Country flag
So we recently traded in our 16 Civic Sedan EX for a 2020 Civic Hatchback Sport because we wanted something a bit more utility oriented but didn't want to change to a totally different model vehicle. We absolutely love it, and the extra space totally goes a long way.
Honda Civic 10th gen Upgraded my 2020 Hatchback Sport's High Beams, Low Beams, and Fog lights to LEDS from Sealight but some obstacles came in the way bHsGZOi

When we bought the 16 civic one of the things I immediately did was change out those ugly dim stock bulbs for a better aftermarket solution. I had been using HIDs up until earlier this year when one of my ballasts died and I decided to try out the LED market.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...r-x2-laxmas-l2-downgraded-from-55w-hid.46973/
The thread above if you want to read it discussed my experience with Sealight's Xenower X2 bulbs and Laxmas L2 bulbs. TDLR The X2s turned out to be pretty good, with robust build quality, and delivering like 80-85% of the performance my 55W HID kit gave me without the hassle of ballasts and all that stuff.

So naturally when we got the 2020 Hatchback sport I immediately swapped out the lowbeams for the Xenower X2s. However this vehicle also has fog lights so I was even more excited to add some more to the visual look of my vehicle by changing out the fogs to LEDs as well. I did have my old pair of laxmas L2s still kicking around and was going to originally use those for the fog lights however (and good thing I searched too) I read quite a lot of concerning posts on this forum regarding people who had upgraded their fog lights to LEDs and encountering condensation in their housings. The problem came down to the fact that a lot of folks were using LEDs that had fans attached to them to cool down the bulbs. Only problem with this is that with the bulbs sitting so low, moisture can easily accumulate in the housing thanks to the fan sucking it all up and blowing it towards the bulbs and inner housings. Plus there was also the concern about putting higher wattage H11 bulbs when I should be using the lower wattage H8s so as to not damage the factory wiring.

So I decided to get H8 version of the Laxmas L2s which operate at a much lower voltage and more importantly are PASSIVELY cooled, so there wont be any concern for a fan blowing moisture into the housings. However I did also run into my own issues with the bulbs not related to the above reasons.
https://www.amazon.com/SEALIGHT-500...07TRCBS2K/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Now I had never installed fog lights on a civic before or any car for that matter but after looking up some videos and guides I thought "eh seems straight forward I should be able to do this".... NOPE. Some guides showed the user not jacking up the car or anything to get access to the fog lights but when I attempted to do it I just couldn't get my head underneath their at all. I fiddled around for probably a good 30 mins underneath trying different awkward positions, until my neck became stiff AF and I decided eff this I can't do it. Not sure how the others were able to do it, maybe they've got much smaller heads? But I couldn't see anything so I ended up putting it off for a day until I could borrow my friend's jack.

Once jacked up I was able to gain much better access by actually getting my head underneath and being able to see what was where. So the swap was pretty straight forward after that, just a matter of 1 10mm bolt and 2 plastic pushpins, and I got both sides done in about 15 mins. But there was slight problem. The fog lights were slightly different colors. The passenger's side was a 6000K color (a cool white), whereas the driver's side was a slightly warmer white (~5000K),

Honda Civic 10th gen Upgraded my 2020 Hatchback Sport's High Beams, Low Beams, and Fog lights to LEDS from Sealight but some obstacles came in the way 20200714_170044

Here are some closeup shots of the bulbs
Honda Civic 10th gen Upgraded my 2020 Hatchback Sport's High Beams, Low Beams, and Fog lights to LEDS from Sealight but some obstacles came in the way 20200714_224800

Honda Civic 10th gen Upgraded my 2020 Hatchback Sport's High Beams, Low Beams, and Fog lights to LEDS from Sealight but some obstacles came in the way 20200714_224807

Honda Civic 10th gen Upgraded my 2020 Hatchback Sport's High Beams, Low Beams, and Fog lights to LEDS from Sealight but some obstacles came in the way 20200714_224820

Camera exaggerated the effect a little as its not as noticeable but is something I can notice if you try to look for it. But after encountering this issue I was kind of disappointed with sealight's QC, as I was quite impressed with their X2 bulbs which is why I decided to go with these in the first place. But I decided to give them a second shot and had ordered a replacement set. Once the replacement set came in I quickly swapped out the driver's side and....the same thing persists. I then tried the other bulb which came in the same replacement set and the same issue persisted. I thought maybe something wonky was going on with the housing or maybe the factory wiring could have been faulty? but then I decided to take out the bulb from the passenger's side and lo and behold.
The LED chips were completely different between the 2 bulbs. The bulb that was closer to 6000K has some different LED chips compared to the ones that was a bit warmer. This probably should have been the first thing I should have checked instead of fiddling around swapping out the bulbs 3 times.

Honda Civic 10th gen Upgraded my 2020 Hatchback Sport's High Beams, Low Beams, and Fog lights to LEDS from Sealight but some obstacles came in the way Different LED Chip PIC 1

Honda Civic 10th gen Upgraded my 2020 Hatchback Sport's High Beams, Low Beams, and Fog lights to LEDS from Sealight but some obstacles came in the way Different LED Chip PIC 2

Honda Civic 10th gen Upgraded my 2020 Hatchback Sport's High Beams, Low Beams, and Fog lights to LEDS from Sealight but some obstacles came in the way Different LED Chip PIC 3

I found this to be quite hysterical that, even though the bulbs are the same model, packed inside the same damn box, they're using 2 entirely different LED chips which is what was causing the variation in color temp. I have reached out to sealight and told them about my experience but am still waiting for a response.

In the meanwhile I decided I might as well install one of the replacement bulbs in the passenger's side so for now at least the 2 fog light bulbs now match. Its a shame because I did like the look of the whiter bulb but this one isn't too bad and at this point I was just about done with getting underneath the car and swapping bulbs so many times. Regardless they're still a tremendous upgrade over the stock halogens both performance wise and aesthetically.

Honda Civic 10th gen Upgraded my 2020 Hatchback Sport's High Beams, Low Beams, and Fog lights to LEDS from Sealight but some obstacles came in the way Low Beam + Foglights LED

Here's a pic of my 20 Hatch Sport with the LEDs installed in the low beams and fog lights. Really makes the vehicle look for elegantly pleasing and the light output is fantastic.

Honda Civic 10th gen Upgraded my 2020 Hatchback Sport's High Beams, Low Beams, and Fog lights to LEDS from Sealight but some obstacles came in the way High Beam + Low Beam LED

We can't forget about the high-beams too. I wouldn't have bothered with the high beams as I never upgraded them in my previous 16 Civic but since this car has the auto high beam function, I thought i'd might as well upgrade them as well. The bulbs I'm using are the Xenower X2 9005s, no issues with these bulbs.

I did drive around in rain a bit and found no condensation in the fog light housings but will keep a lookout in case anything happens, although I suspect there shouldn't be any issues.
I haven't had the chance to drive out in the darker areas in town, but I'll try to update this thread with some night time shots of the road.

So I thought I share my experience and story of how these fog lights made me question life. Overall I'm loving this car, love the way she drives and now with the LED upgrades she looks even better.

Last edited:

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Your lights look really sharp and nice
Can you tell me how much you paid for all your lights?
Can you share a picture of lights at night. Im interested to see how the bulbs preform.
Like this:
Honda Civic 10th gen Upgraded my 2020 Hatchback Sport's High Beams, Low Beams, and Fog lights to LEDS from Sealight but some obstacles came in the way RoneSt

Up against a wall or a garage:
Honda Civic 10th gen Upgraded my 2020 Hatchback Sport's High Beams, Low Beams, and Fog lights to LEDS from Sealight but some obstacles came in the way IMG_1074 (1).JPG

Or the neighbors fence:
Honda Civic 10th gen Upgraded my 2020 Hatchback Sport's High Beams, Low Beams, and Fog lights to LEDS from Sealight but some obstacles came in the way IMG_1079 (2).JPG

OP
OP

Danny17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX
Country flag
Your lights look really sharp and nice
Can you tell me how much you paid for all your lights?
Can you share a picture of lights at night. Im interested to see how the bulbs preform.
Like this:
RoneSt.jpg

Up against a wall or a garage:
IMG_1074 (1).JPG

Or the neighbors fence:
IMG_1079 (2).JPG

Hey I didn't get the chance to drive my car at night however I was able to snap a pic on my driveway up against the garage.

Will update again once I get the chance to take it out at night
Honda Civic 10th gen Upgraded my 2020 Hatchback Sport's High Beams, Low Beams, and Fog lights to LEDS from Sealight but some obstacles came in the way 20200717_190932

OP
OP

Danny17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX
Country flag
@Rone811

Managed to get a couple night shots for ya

I think the results speak for themselves.
Honda Civic 10th gen Upgraded my 2020 Hatchback Sport's High Beams, Low Beams, and Fog lights to LEDS from Sealight but some obstacles came in the way 20200718_214455
Honda Civic 10th gen Upgraded my 2020 Hatchback Sport's High Beams, Low Beams, and Fog lights to LEDS from Sealight but some obstacles came in the way 20200718_214707
Honda Civic 10th gen Upgraded my 2020 Hatchback Sport's High Beams, Low Beams, and Fog lights to LEDS from Sealight but some obstacles came in the way 20200718_214711

Unfortunately i forgot to get a shot of the high beams but will definitely update again on those but for now what I will say is that I'm really appreciative of the auto-high beam function it comes in so clutch for those really dark roads that we have around my town. As I was driving and the high beams came on it was like the sun came back out.

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
@Rone811

Managed to get a couple night shots for ya

I think the results speak for themselves.
20200718_214455.jpg
20200718_214707.jpg
20200718_214711.jpg

Unfortunately i forgot to get a shot of the high beams but will definitely update again on those but for now what I will say is that I'm really appreciative of the auto-high beam function it comes in so clutch for those really dark roads that we have around my town. As I was driving and the high beams came on it was like the sun came back out.
Looks really good, man. Good job and thank you so much for taking the time to get some night shots.

Orca27

First Name
Jairo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Hey how’s it going, I’m new to the car scene And wanted to know what brand of led lights you got?

OP
OP

Danny17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX
Country flag