Upgraded Coolant Tank for ALL 10gen (not just FK8)

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
WHAT IS AN EGG-SHELL COLOR, THAT GETS DIRTY QUICKLY, AND COMPLETELY STICKS OUT AMONGST ALL THE BLACK PLASTIC AND SILVER METAL UNDER THE HOOD OF YOUR CIVICX? THE OEM COOLANT RESERVOIR TANK THAT’S WHAT. WHILE IT’S AN IMPORTANT PART OF YOUR COOLING SYSTEM, ITS ODD SHAPE, AND FADING PLASTIC MAKE IT LOOK LIKE AN AFTERTHOUGHT IN YOUR ENGINE BAY. IT’S AS IF HONDA COMPLETED EVERYTHING UNDER THE BONNET AND WAS LIKE “OH SNAP WE FORGOT TO ADD A PLACE TO FILL YOUR COOLANT” AND THEN TED WAS LIKE “IT'S FINE JUST PUT IT IN THE CORNER OVER THERE”. LET’S DIVE INTO THIS LITTLE CONTAINER, WHAT IT DOES, AND HOW WE INTEND TO MAKE A COOLER VERSION.

Honda Civic 10th gen Upgraded Coolant Tank for ALL 10gen (not just FK8) 1674672950217

The coolant reservoir, aka coolant expansion tank, is a simple device with a couple of functions for your Civic. First, it is a reservoir to hold extra coolant. Second, it is the place to refill and add more coolant to your cooling system. Third, since it is the highest point in the cooling system it is also where you bleed the system to get rid of any air that might get in it from servicing. Lastly, and perhaps the most important, is that it pressurizes your cooling system to raise the boiling point of the coolant/water mixture in your engine.

So the coolant tank is an important piece of your car and it is not something that you can just do without. Like you have to have one. However, we don’t think you have to have an ugly one.

Honda Civic 10th gen Upgraded Coolant Tank for ALL 10gen (not just FK8) 1674672981861

The OEM coolant expansion tank is made from thick and hard plastic. This is because it is under pressure. On average the coolant tank will operate under 1.1 to 1.3 bar (16 to 20 psi) of pressure at any given time. Because of this, the plastic has to be very hard and rigid so that it can hold up. It also needs to take the heat. The coolant mixture in your engine can get up to 250 deg F in an engine overheat situation and the tank can’t melt and make a mess under the hood. Since the tank is also a reservoir and a place to add coolant, the outside of the tank has markings that indicate max and min levels. This way you know if you need to add some more water or if you are topped off just right.

Honda Civic 10th gen Upgraded Coolant Tank for ALL 10gen (not just FK8) 1674673006030

The plastic fades to an off-white color over time and in some cases can become brittle and crack leading to an overheating situation. We fix this by making a nice metal piece that will fit ALL the 10th gen Civics. We know we want a piece that looks great under the hood and does its job. A coolant tank that takes the pressure but does it in style. Of course, it needs to be an easy bolt-on piece that will not require a ton of modifications for you to install.

Honda Civic 10th gen Upgraded Coolant Tank for ALL 10gen (not just FK8) 1674673031922
Honda Civic 10th gen Upgraded Coolant Tank for ALL 10gen (not just FK8) 1674673042560
Honda Civic 10th gen Upgraded Coolant Tank for ALL 10gen (not just FK8) 1674673063225

YOU CAN SEE THE DIRECTION WE ARE HEADED IN THE IMAGES ABOVE. LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK BY DROPPING A COMMENT BELOW AND BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR PART 2 OF THIS BLOG SERIES IN ABOUT A MONTH.

ChefRyeSi

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan / 04’ CRV EX 5MT
Country flag
Very nice! Would be first in line! But how're you dealing with the "pressurized?" coolant tank? I read somewhere that that is the reason theres no aftermarket options out right now. Not sure if "pressurized" is the correct word

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Very nice! Would be first in line! But how're you dealing with the "pressurized?" coolant tank? I read somewhere that that is the reason theres no aftermarket options out right now. Not sure if "pressurized" is the correct word
I'm betting that they may retain the stock coolant "cap", as well as incorporate an overflow hose (like what is seen in the photos of the "stock" reservoir ... but I'd be guessing.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A window or transparent gauge of some sort would be nice. Otherwise, I like where this is going!

OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, it is pressurized. The short answer is a well-built and strong tank. Really no different than an intercooler, those we pressure test to 50+ psi

CMarks

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
This is an awesome idea, I have a feeling it will be in high demand hopefully its at an affordable price.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If it performs better, has a way to check the level at a glance, and looks better (the easy part) count me in.
'No honey, I wasn't looking at spending still more money on the FK8 -ouch! No, really, I was just reading about-ouch!' :fear:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If it performs better, has a way to check the level at a glance, and looks better (the easy part) count me in.
'No honey, I wasn't looking at spending still more money on the FK8 -ouch! No, really, I was just reading about-ouch!' :fear:
We are pushing looks and aesthetics as the main point on this one.

EarthPIG_0311

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si Sedan
Like the idea and I'll cop it based on 3 factors:
  • Signature Orange color
  • Ability to check levels
  • Price
Sponsored