"Upgraded" Climate Control Install

GoodGuyJonb

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
I wonder if this swap to the non-dual climate control would open up the possibilities of dumping the stock headunit for something better (with multiple preamp outputs). I'm sure I'd probably lose the cameras, without some creative wiring to a tablet, if I were to go with a single DIN unit (like the swanky new Sony RSX-gs9).

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
I wonder if this swap to the non-dual climate control would open up the possibilities of dumping the stock headunit for something better (with multiple preamp outputs). I'm sure I'd probably lose the cameras, without some creative wiring to a tablet, if I were to go with a single DIN unit (like the swanky new Sony RSX-gs9).
Never thought of that

EcoVtec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
Any update??
Apologies for not posting an update. This is the correct part number, ordered from torontohondaparts.com and paid about $48 with shipping after the Canadian exchange rate. Very easy swap, highly recommend. It's a little thing, but has made a huge difference for me. Not having to wait for the HU to boot up to turn on the fan/being able to adjust the fan speed without looking while driving is quite nice.

The only other major functionality besides the cameras that you would lose is the ability to change the direction of airflow, this still requires using the climate control screen on the HU.

Honda Civic 10th gen "Upgraded" Climate Control Install knob_replacement

jacobegg

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure about the 2019’s, but I just got done my “upgrade” tonight and I love it!

jacobegg

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I think I confused myself earlier.. maybe haha. I’m asking if the controls from the 2019 will work in the 2016-2018.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I think I confused myself earlier.. maybe haha. I’m asking if the controls from the 2019 will work in the 2016-2018.
Unless someone has actually fitted one and can say for sure that the additional buttons work, without messing up anything else (like dual climate control), my guess would be that it is highly unlikely to work.

Here is why ..

While the unit has a number of switches, and rotary control, and light etc, these are not simply items that are wired on individual wires that come out of the unit, and can moved altered etc.

In fact, the unit only has 5 wires. It is basically a C-BUS device, and all the data runs over the two C-Bus+ & C-Bus- wires. Inside the unit is a Microprocessor, that is looking at all the switch inputs, and driving all the light outputs, and is sending that data, over the C-Bus.

The 2019 unit has the additional A/C switche(s), and the Microprocessor or is programmed differently. It is highly unlikely that the car 2018 car will understand the 2019 C-Bus data from the 2019 A/C unit.

Here is an analogy.
Two (2018) Americans talking in English over the telephone, and are able to talk about today's weather.
Then one of them discovers that there is someone in (2019) Japan, who know a lot more about the weather, and can talk about it in far more detail, and he know about the stock market.
Hey, the Japanese guy would be far better to talk to than the other American, so he call the guy in Japan. But although the guy in Japan know a lot more that the other American, he only speaks in Japaneses, so any voice communication between them is meaningless to both of them.

This is probably what is happening.. the 2019 A/C unit is not talking in a way that the 2018 Car can understand, so the communication is not working.

Even if it were, the 2019 unit knows something new (a new word, the new A/C Button), that is meaningless to the 2018 car.. so while it may understand most of what is being said, it was never taught the new word (The new controls).

The point is, it not just a question of adding an extra wire for the extra A/C control, and figuring out what position in the connector to wire it into .. there are no "new wires", just the same C-Bus (telephone wires).

If I am incorrect -- GREAT -- but everything I have seen and played with with the A/C unit and the car's Instrument Harness, tells me that this will probably never work .. unless a lot of other parts are also swapped out for 2019 parts, and then that will open Pandora's box for even more "miscommunication" between 2018 & 2019 items.

EcoVtec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
Just FYI for those of you that have completed this swap - if you are taking in your car to have the A/C software update competed (Recall 18-137) the dealer should no longer have to replace the physical unit. Apparently this was necessary when whatever issue was first discovered, but dealerships now have the ability to flash your existing unit rather than replacing it with an updated unit.

I was concerned taking it in to have this completed because I didn't want to lose my fan speed knob!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Just FYI for those of you that have completed this swap - if you are taking in your car to have the A/C software update competed (Recall 18-137) the dealer should no longer have to replace the physical unit. Apparently this was necessary when whatever issue was first discovered, but dealerships now have the ability to flash your existing unit rather than replacing it with an updated unit.

I was concerned taking it in to have this completed because I didn't want to lose my fan speed knob!
I don't doubt you, but where did that information come from ?
Yes, there is a Microprocessor controller in the A/C control physical unit, but I find it hard to believe than most Dealers have the equipment of Knowledge to be able to get in and make any changes to that micro's programming.

As we all know my now, far too many Dealers struggle to be able to do an Oil Change without screwing up !!

Where did Dealers suddenly get the information on how to do this ??

The Honda service "subscription" website ??

If anyone has a current subscription, maybe they can look this up, and see if the Information to do this "update" is there, along with full instructions as to how to do it, and what is needed in terms of software updates etc etc.

I shudder to think of my Dealer ( well, the Dealer I purchased the car from), being able to do anything like this !!! :rofl:

Last edited:

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
I don't. What I am wondering is if the dual ever gets out of sync and needs to be resynced. What happens if the car battery dies? Would I have to reinstall the old unit to resync it?
Hit the auto button. It should sync them I believe.

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
I don't doubt you, but where did that information come from ?
Yes, there is a Microprocessor controller in the A/C control physical unit, but I find it hard to believe than most Dealers have the equipment of Knowledge to be able to get in and make any changes to that micro's programming.

As we all know my know, far too many Dealers struggle to be able to do an Oil Change without screwing up !!

Where did Dealers suddenly get the information on how to do this ??

The Honda service "subscription" website ??

If anyone has a current subscription, maybe they can look this up, and see if the Information to do this "update" is there, along with full instructions as to how to do it, and what is needed in terms of software updates etc etc.

I shudder to think of my Dealer ( well, the Dealer I purchased the car from), being able to do anything like this !!! :rofl:
I just got the notification for recall and it was a a/c swap

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just got the notification for recall and it was a a/c swap
I keep returning to the decision that

"as it currently stands, as is from factory" my 2018 Si is "fine" ..

and the last thing I want is a Dealer screwing with it, doing incorrect update, scratching the car, and then denying responsibility, or leaving their dirty, oily fingerprint all over my car.

Yes, there is Oil dilution .. NO BIG DEAL -- I will just change the oil more often, as opposed to the "Pushing it -Promotional Oil Change Interval" of 10K miles.. approx).

I like the fact that the A/C heats up the passenger cabin quickly, especially in the winter... I do not want an Update to slow that process down.

I like the Dual,side air temperature control (and more importantly, so does my wife) so no way is that going.

I don't need a mechanical Fan Speed control,,, the AUTO works just fine, and is, in effect really also a Fan speed control.

I don't need a Volume Knob, I have a perfectly good mechanical Volume control on my steering wheel, so I do not have to take my hand off the wheel, and grapple for a knob!!

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" -- and as far as I am concerned, it is NOT broken .. (Manly because t has not been screwed with by the Dealer)

Yes, I will do some Mods .. I WANT an Oil pressure Gauge, I WANT an Oil Temperature Gauge, and I would LIKE to improve the "Not so Premium Audio system" . particularly it's lack of SUB audio.

(I do NOT need "Fuzzy Dice" !!)

I now already have a DIRECT reading TPMS, so I know all the time, what my tire pressure actually is, and their temperatures.. and if one goes low, it tells me which one, and how much as opposed to putting on an IDIOT LIGHT" which effectively say. GO TO DEALER and they will sort it out !!)

I have Honda Hacked the OEM Honda Android Unit .. screw the warranty, it will be OK, and if not, I will fix it or get another "used" one from a totaled 2018 si .. in fact , already have one... was too much of a bargain on Ebay to resist !!

I am not going to be "Held Hostage" from doing what I want to do to MY car, by some Dealer threat of denied warranty coverage. I'll take that risk, as having far better odd that the car stays more reliable, if it never sees a Dealer again in it;s life, since I purchased it.

I guess this is who I am ... others people are probably quite different, and may be quite trusting of Dealers .. and wish them Good Luck with that ... I prefer to stay in control.
Sponsored