Upgrade 2013 Honda Civic EX Sedan to 2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback?

jkeis862

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
Hey all! I've been lurking here for quite sometime now, so figured I would create an account and make a post because I have enjoyed what I have seen thus far. I am an owner of a paid off 2013 Honda Civic EX Sedan which has been a great car for the past 50k miles with no major complaints (very simple mods like CAI, retro projectors, window visors that's it haven't put that much money into the car). It has been taken care of as per the manual and washed weekly. I love the 10thgen Civic since it has been released and was so excited to hear that a hatchback model was being brought over to the States as well. Like I said, my 9thgen has been great and it's your perfect commuter car but lately I have grown tired of the car, almost bored with it and ever since I went to the NYIAS I feel in love with the new Civics, especially the hatchback. I am just trying to be reasonable and smart about everything. My current Civic is dependable and I know can easily last me for another 100k miles, but I am thinking that I may want to upgrade to the Sport Touring Hatchback. So, I just wanted to get people's opinions and ideas before I do anything. Of course, the decision is entirely up to myself but I enjoy to hear what others have to say. I am currently 23yo and getting ready to start my life, I already have a decent job and I'm looking to get an even better one by the end of this year. Just a little about myself, but in the end do you think it is worth it to trade in the 9thgen for the 10thgen? Thank you!

(Mods if this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move and/or merge if another topic has already been created. Thanks.)
Sponsored

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I traded my 2014 EX to a Touring sedan in a smaller time frame than what you're suggesting so what do you think?

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Traded in my 2012 Si sedan for the Sport Touring hatch last week... the Si only had 40k miles on it too. Been driving a lot more in the past year (job change) but the Si just wasn't any fun anymore and rowing gears in traffic got old. Tried to insulate the trunk area to reduce the outside noise at highway speeds too. I got used to it and could manage to soldier on but the ST hatch has made me actually look forward to driving to work (or anywhere for that matter).

If you paid off your 9th gen, I think you're smart enough to figure out your finances and know if upgrading would put too much of a strain on you. The 10th gen hatch actually corners better than the 9th gen Si... less body roll, and less understeer (had to change the rear sway on the Si to get it to rotate properly through corners). I was actually thinking of the '17 CR-V but took it for a test drive and it just felt huge and a bit porky even with the newer engine, so I asked about the hatch and it just felt right the moment I got in for the test drive.

In any case - go test drive the Sport Touring hatch - you don't have to buy it yet, just get a feel and see if its right for you. Nothing to lose.

OP
OP
jkeis862

jkeis862

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
Traded in my 2012 Si sedan for the Sport Touring hatch last week... the Si only had 40k miles on it too. Been driving a lot more in the past year (job change) but the Si just wasn't any fun anymore and rowing gears in traffic got old. Tried to insulate the trunk area to reduce the outside noise at highway speeds too. I got used to it and could manage to soldier on but the ST hatch has made me actually look forward to driving to work (or anywhere for that matter).

If you paid off your 9th gen, I think you're smart enough to figure out your finances and know if upgrading would put too much of a strain on you. The 10th gen hatch actually corners better than the 9th gen Si... less body roll, and less understeer (had to change the rear sway on the Si to get it to rotate properly through corners). I was actually thinking of the '17 CR-V but took it for a test drive and it just felt huge and a bit porky even with the newer engine, so I asked about the hatch and it just felt right the moment I got in for the test drive.

In any case - go test drive the Sport Touring hatch - you don't have to buy it yet, just get a feel and see if its right for you. Nothing to lose.
Yes, with my current job I am currently doing 60 miles round-trip everyday during the heart of both rush hours and it's definitely not fun at all. I appreciate your input, I hear everyone say that the difference between the 9th-gen and 10th-gen is like night and day. I have sat in plenty of 10th-gens but as you suggested I have never driven one before (which is definitely a very good idea). I am in no rush as there is nothing wrong with my current Civic, and of course I will have to workout the financials beforehand. I just feel that I work very hard and so I should be able to spend a little and enjoy myself (not saying that I have to buy a new car to enjoy things, but I think you understand). One thing I did learn from buying this first Civic is that the next car I get will be the top of the line model as you can never regret having too many things, but can certainly regret on missing out on many features.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Oh wow! Was your 2014 Civic paid off? It will be a very nice down payment by trading it in for myself.
Yeah but whether it was paid off or not doesn't mean I didn't take the depreciation hit. I just take the hit instantly and right away in a lump sum where people who make payments have to deal with that loss over their new payments (neg equity). Got it for 22.7k OTD. Sold it 1.5 years later privately with 9100 miles on it for 18.5k. Then dropped another 10k on top of the proceeds to buy my Touring sedan outright.

Now I will admit that I'm in a financial state where there's no issue there and I consciously decided that I wanted to do it. Doesn't mean it's a good idea for everyone.

Stegodon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Was too much to read....

So here's a simple answer.

How bad do you want it???

Can you afford it???

If you answered "really bad"
And yes

Then yes.

If you answered anything less than really bad or no...

Don't buy it

BigThurman006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX; 2015 Ford Edge SE
jkeis862...50k miles on a 2013...I would stick with that one. Sure, the CivicX is nicer, but I also enjoyed driving my BIL's 2012 Civic. Having no car payments at 23 with a car that could easily last 100k and probably even 150k is a great position. I feel like I'm a few years ahead of you (27) and something I've noticed is lifestyle creep. As I make more I feel as though I need to get nicer things to match. While my Civic is great I really miss not having car payments and not using that money more wisely (Retirement and college savings for kids). Additionally, if you plan on starting a family, the Civic is not the Honda you want to get. I currently have a 4-month old in an infant seat and a nearly 2-year old rear-facing and its exhausting loading them up. The hatch may be a better fit than the sedan in this regard but I really wish I had just went ahead with an Odyssey and skipped my want of a sedan.

To sum up my opinion then...wait. Start saving a little each month for the next year, two, or three, and then buy something outright that you can drive into the ground.

Best of luck jkeis862.

OP
OP
jkeis862

jkeis862

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
jkeis862...50k miles on a 2013...I would stick with that one. Sure, the CivicX is nicer, but I also enjoyed driving my BIL's 2012 Civic. Having no car payments at 23 with a car that could easily last 100k and probably even 150k is a great position. I feel like I'm a few years ahead of you (27) and something I've noticed is lifestyle creep. As I make more I feel as though I need to get nicer things to match. While my Civic is great I really miss not having car payments and not using that money more wisely (Retirement and college savings for kids). Additionally, if you plan on starting a family, the Civic is not the Honda you want to get. I currently have a 4-month old in an infant seat and a nearly 2-year old rear-facing and its exhausting loading them up. The hatch may be a better fit than the sedan in this regard but I really wish I had just went ahead with an Odyssey and skipped my want of a sedan.

To sum up my opinion then...wait. Start saving a little each month for the next year, two, or three, and then buy something outright that you can drive into the ground.

Best of luck jkeis862.
Well thank you very much I do appreciate your honesty and opinion. Financially, this is the best move for me and the one I think I am going to stick with. Most of my elders have said the same, take the money that I would have put towards a car payment and save it for the future. I can definitely relate to what you call the "lifestyle creep" it definitely feels as though I need to spend more as I make more, but I honestly think that that is just human nature to desire more. Congrats on the little ones!

ediblebirch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK7 ST
Country flag
If you can afford it, sure. But also think that it's only a car. If it still functional and is already paid off, there is no use in trading. Keep that money for other things. But then again.. I traded in my 2016 Touring for a 2017 Sport Touring and not regretting it. :beer:

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I say go for it as long as you don't go underwater with trading in your 9gen. I financed a cpo 9gen si with 40,000 kms in January of 2016. It was a very fun car but after a month the novelty faded and it didn't have any personality to it. I traded it in for my 2017 hatch back in January after only having my si for a year. I went in just wanting to see the new hatch since I always had Honda hatches growing up and I left that same day in a sport hatch.

Long story short the 10gen is by far a better car than even a 9gen si. Shows you how far Honda has come in just a generation. I didn't lose money on the trade because the si holds its value so well so it was a no brainer for me, (and my dog). You won't regret getting it as long as you don't owe extra on top of the trade in.

lilfeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver 2017 hatchback sport touring
Country flag
If your Civic has only 50k mi on it you should consider running it for a couple more years and sink the car payment into a 401k. Your 50 year old self will thank you. After all that is the true virtue of Hondas, they usually run trouble free for lots and lots of miles. And, by then there will be an 11th gen.

Sman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EX Hatch w/ Sensing
I would say keep your current one. I had the same car from 17 to 29.9999 years old (212k miles). Glad that I kept it for so long and saved money.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Also, if you do decide to trade out of your current car, remove all mods and put it back to stock as they will give you more money for it. If it still has some warranty that is the only way they will be able to sell it as a certified used car, otherwise they will cut out the cost of returning it to stock themselves.

jzj323

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Civic Si and 2007 Toyota Highlander Limited Hybrid
Since you don't owe anything on it sell it privately if Hondas offer is too low or keep it and still buy the other one lol just my opinion but I want to trade in my 15 Si which is stock for the Type R hatch.
Sponsored