Updating the Garmin Nav Maps?

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
2019 Civic Touring, I have the latest Garmin map updates on a USB stick. I know the usual update procedure is to select the upload from the menu, connect the USB, and let the car run for the 2-3 hours it takes to update.
My question is: instead of letting the car idle in a well-ventilated area as per Honda's instructions, can I just drive it for the 2-3 hours instead? Can the radio be on? What have you experienced with this? What's the typical time involved? I'd rather drive the car than let it idle.

When I updated my Dash-top Garmin GPS from my computer, usually took 2-3 hours.

Kinda in the dark here, any advice appreciated :what:
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
2019 Civic Touring, I have the latest Garmin map updates on a USB stick. I know the usual update procedure is to select the upload from the menu, connect the USB, and let the car run for the 2-3 hours it takes to update.
My question is: instead of letting the car idle in a well-ventilated area as per Honda's instructions, can I just drive it for the 2-3 hours instead? Can the radio be on? What have you experienced with this? What's the typical time involved? I'd rather drive the car than let it idle.

When I updated my Dash-top Garmin GPS from my computer, usually took 2-3 hours.

Kinda in the dark here, any advice appreciated :what:
Why not just put the car on car battery charger, to keep the battery from going flat for those 2-3 hours. No need to actually RUN the engine !@!

OP
OP

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Why not just put the car on car battery charger, to keep the battery from going flat for those 2-3 hours. No need to actually RUN the engine !@!
Appreciate the advice, live in a townhouse, it would involve buying a charger, running a power cord across a parking lot, etc, not really practical. Good suggestion but impractical for me. Thanks
Really just wanted to know if the car can be driven during the update, I have an alternative agenda, I need to deliver something to a friend who lives about 100 miles away.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Appreciate the advice, live in a townhouse, it would involve buying a charger, running a power cord across a parking lot, etc, not really practical. Good suggestion but impractical for me. Thanks
Really just wanted to know if the car can be driven during the update, I have an alternative agenda, I need to deliver something to a friend who lives about 100 miles away.
Yes, no reason why it cannot be driven. (but with conditions !!! )

The issue is, if the engine is not running for the 2 hour period of the update, then the radio will flatten the battery.

If you are driving the car, you MUST be sure not to turn the radio off, while it is updating.
If you turn OFF the engine, it will turn off the radio !!! so DO NOT turn off the engine if it is running during the update.

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I thought I read in another thread that the update only takes 10-15 minutes and not 2-3 hours.

I have a 2016 Touring still running with the original update that came with the car. I have been wanting to update things too but have been discouraged by the quoted length of time too. But I guess there is one way to find out.

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just did it on the weekend, took about 20 minutes in the car and I was driving. The radio won't be on, there's no way to turn it on (that I noticed) as the screen is busy showing the progress. Unfortunately I got an 'update failed' message at the end. The Garmin website said to try again, so I did and it worked the 2nd time :confused:

Videone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 MX-5 GT PRHT, 2018 Mazda 6 Signature, 2016 Civic Touring Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did the update a few days ago...took about 15 minutes to do while I drove around the neighborhood.

OP
OP

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Figured it out, using a USB stick, got the data from my car loaded on my Garmin desktop on my computer, program will notify me when an update is available. Apparently my maps are up-to-date. Found out you can, indeed, drive while uploading the new maps, thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Ok, got the notification from Garmin, took about 1 1/2 hours to load to the stick, will do the update on Thursday. Easy so far.

Turned the phone off so no interruptions, turned radio off, went to the update screen, put the stick in, following the prompts, drove about 40 minutes, update successful!
Using a different stick, did the same process on my wife's Fit, easy, same sequence, once you've done it, it's easy.

Last edited:

ITGRAD

Love my Civic!!!
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring and 2015 Lexus CT200h
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Updated my maps last night.