Updating Navigation

andy_kiawah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Has anyone successfully updated the maps in their navigation system? The dealership told me this was something I could do on my own, despite the garmin site saying most dealerships would do this for you. When I try to follow the instructions on the site, my display says it cannot access the media. I've tried two perfectly good 32 gig sticks that are writeable.
Sponsored

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Make sure the USB sticks are formatted to FAT32 as this is the only file system the head unit can read. The default for Windows on large capacity USB sticks is exFAT and you can't change it. You will need a 3rd party format utility like the Verbatim FAT32 Tool (http://www.verbatim.com/index/search.php?words=fat32+tool).

lopperman

Honda Convert
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone successfully updated the maps in their navigation system? The dealership told me this was something I could do on my own, despite the garmin site saying most dealerships would do this for you. When I try to follow the instructions on the site, my display says it cannot access the media. I've tried two perfectly good 32 gig sticks that are writeable.
Plug in the USB drive to the port behind the console.

OP
OP
andy_kiawah

andy_kiawah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Make sure the USB sticks are formatted to FAT32 as this is the only file system the head unit can read. The default for Windows on large capacity USB sticks is exFAT and you can't change it. You will need a 3rd party format utility like the Verbatim FAT32 Tool (http://www.verbatim.com/index/search.php?words=fat32+tool).
I figured out the FAT32 part, but was advised by Honda Tech to only use 16 gig sticks. They said if I use the 32 gig stick I am intending on using, it will likely glitch. This sounds bogus to me. What size did you use?

lopperman

Honda Convert
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I figured out the FAT32 part, but was advised by Honda Tech to only use 16 gig sticks. They said if I use the 32 gig stick I am intending on using, it will likely glitch. This sounds bogus to me. What size did you use?
I used a 32GB stick and it worked fine. Just make sure you stick it in the USB port under/behind the radio. Also, I formatted the drive as FAT32 with the verbatim tool mentioned above. (http://www.verbatim.com/index/search.php?words=fat32+tool). I'm in the U.S., and it only took about 20-25 minutes to load the update onto the car. You have to keep the car on while the update is occuring, so make sure you've got proper ventilation.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Boooooooogus. I did it with a 128GB stick.

I also forgot that it has to go through the phone USB port below the dash.

(stupid half-assed Android installation... in every other computer I have, USB is USB; each port can do the same stuff)

OP
OP
andy_kiawah

andy_kiawah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I was able to do it just fine with my 32 gig stick. Honda Tech guy made me nervous because I told him limiting me to only a 16 gig stick did not seem to make sense and I asked to have a supervisor call me back. He (not the supervisor) called back and said he spoke with an engineer and that I could do it with a 32 gig stick, but that it would likely glitch. I feel like he was just doubling down on his idiotic statement previously saying I would need to find a 16 gig stick so he wouldnt sound like he was just making things up.

Boooooooogus. I did it with a 128GB stick.

I also forgot that it has to go through the phone USB port below the dash.

(stupid half-assed Android installation... in every other computer I have, USB is USB; each port can do the same stuff)

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The trick for me was to insert the USB drive before I turned the car on.
Did you have to insert the USB before turning the car on for both parts of the update? (ie - the “prepare USB part”, as well as the “apply update” part?)
Sponsored