Updated College Hills Honda Dual Horn Kit 2019 Type R

Cayohuesojoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Honda Type-R
Country flag
Hey there,
I went through all the 'horn' threads from way back and rather than going full air-horn, chose to have my son assist in his first bit of upgrades as he will likely get this one when he turns 16. (I know, might be looking for something else for him because I LOVE THIS CAR!)

So, I ordered the harness and the dual horn kit. With the current USPS situation, it took 10 days for EXPRESS Faster shipping (can't imagine what ground would have taken). It arrived today and we put it in tonight.

Here are the particulars:
  • 2019 FK8 almost 1 year old
  • Paid $750 under invoice (My cousin is a Nissan GM and sent me the invoice for this car, I wanted Blue and they were having the worst quarter on record Nov. 12 2019) They said no shot it would sell due to tires and winter in Baltimore and happily took it with a huge bump on my trade-in over what I expected to get
    • NOTE: I just kept mentioning Blue and that the other dealer they own had it and they let it go and the kept tossing stuff in
    • They gave me a coupon for 3 free oil changes as a gift for my son as they thought I was giving it to him sooner than 2 years
    • 7 miles on the car when I drove out of the showroom! I've had 8 brand new cars and NONE had that low a number
  • 7,000 miles (one bonus to Covid)
  • Other than Tint, all stock
  • 3 original tires and 1 new (I got a nail in one the 2nd week I had it but they 'threw in the tire/rim coverage' to sweeten the deal)
Parts
  • College Hills Honda Dual Horn Upgrade Kit $36.00 which contained:
    • Horn Harness
      • Received 2 harnesses which confused me based on the posts
    • Dual Horns
      • WOLO Full Blast Low Tone - Model - 380-2T
      • WOLO Full Blast High Tone - Model - 385-2T
        • They had extra ground wires, extra wiring connections and waterproof coverings and extra bolts/lock washers (2 sizes)
Steps
  1. Prep
    1. I taped off the area around the vent
  2. Vent removal
    1. I put my fingers in the side vent and popped the 3 tabs which opened the whole left side
    2. I then went clockwise until the round connector and unlocked the clips
    3. I then did the same for the bottom
    4. I Pulled up the small round part with a taped screw driver & pressed to release it from the mount
    5. Grabbed the vent and both pieces of that round connector
  3. Horn Removal
    1. I used a 13MM socket with extension to remove the 1st horn
    2. I could then see the bolt for the 2nd horn & disconnected the wire (I had no idea in all my reading that my car had 2 MEEP horns!)
    3. I removed the bolt and then disconnected the wire for the 2nd horn
  4. New Horn addition
    1. The High was much larger than the Low so I chose to mount it first in back
      1. I added thread lock to the threads and original bolt and bolted the included metal bar
      2. I then did the same when mounting the horn but mounted it facing backwards as there was more area toward the back
        1. I ensured that the horn was facing down to keep from drowning it
        2. I connected 1 of the wires from the harness to each terminal on top of the horn
        3. Connected the harness to the car's harness (It clicks when locked in place)
    2. For the 2nd horn my son had to mount tilted at about 2:00 as the wire connectors were getting hung up on the bumper. By tilting it kept them free
      1. My son added thread seal to the threads and original bolt and tightened
      2. We did notice that the metal plate that came with the Low horn was FAR less thick/strong than the High horn so it wavers a bit despite being thoroughly tightened *Something to keep an eye on
      3. He connected the harness until it clicked
  5. Testing
    1. He climbed in and hit the horn
    2. LOUD
    3. I asked him to do it again and he sheepishly did but said, 'We're good right?! it's LOUD!'
  6. Replaced the grill
    1. I added the lock bolt first with the grill in-place and pressed it in to expand the base
    2. I then went slowly toward the outside of the car
    3. I locked in the vent clips at the outside and then went once more around to ensure all locked
    4. Pulled tape off
    5. Wiped the painted area with microfiber cloth
COMPLETE!
** As there are so many examples of the horrible meep I neglected to video that mess... Plus if you have this car, you know well, how disgraceful it is
I am attaching photos of the horns, receipt and key parts of the install.
Honda Civic 10th gen Updated College Hills Honda Dual Horn Kit 2019 Type R save
Honda Civic 10th gen Updated College Hills Honda Dual Horn Kit 2019 Type R Lockscrew
Honda Civic 10th gen Updated College Hills Honda Dual Horn Kit 2019 Type R 2-horns
Honda Civic 10th gen Updated College Hills Honda Dual Horn Kit 2019 Type R MOUNTING

Siblue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Civic 18 Type R
Country flag
Finally did this mod. Took a whole 4 min.
Thanks for posting this.

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Wow, that's the most detailed install I think I've ever seen I wish they were all like that. Nice work!!

I bet your son is so excited to get the R once he can drive, I wouldn't be able to wait ?

CTRLE72

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Great write up ?? Just confirming that the baggy with all the extra stuff (ground wire, connectors etc.) you didn’t use, correct? Just the harnesses that College Hill provided and the brackets that came with the new horns is all that’s needed? Thanks in advance for your input

razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sentra
Country flag
For the dual Wolo high/low setup how did you wire ther horns? Did you run a relay for the seond horn addition?

Believe each Wolo horn is 5 Amps, would two 5 amp horns be okay on the original horn civic circuit?
New Horn addition
  1. The High was much larger than the Low so I chose to mount it first in back
    1. I added thread lock to the threads and original bolt and bolted the included metal bar
    2. I then did the same when mounting the horn but mounted it facing backwards as there was more area toward the back
      1. I ensured that the horn was facing down to keep from drowning it
      2. I connected 1 of the wires from the harness to each terminal on top of the horn
      3. Connected the harness to the car's harness (It clicks when locked in place)
  2. For the 2nd horn my son had to mount tilted at about 2:00 as the wire connectors were getting hung up on the bumper. By tilting it kept them free
    1. My son added thread seal to the threads and original bolt and tightened
    2. We did notice that the metal plate that came with the Low horn was FAR less thick/strong than the High horn so it wavers a bit despite being thoroughly tightened *Something to keep an eye on
    3. He connected the harness until it clicked
For the dual Wolo high/low setup how did you wire ther horns? Did you run a relay for the seond horn addition?

Believe each Wolo horn is 5 Amps, would two 5 amp horns be okay on the original horn civic circuit?

rtypefk8

First Name
rtype
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type R
Country flag
Great writeup
Sponsored