Update: Walk-away lock fast beeping

jeffNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 TL, 12 Civic, 16 Civic EX
Country flag
I have been doing some experimentation on the walk-away locking after the dealer replaced the body control module with the updated version. Even after replacement, I often experienced the fast beeping when exiting the car. I would also get the beeping when getting into the car, after being seated and closing the door.

My key fob consisted of three things: a key ring, a small Swiss Army Classic SD knife and a Weiser key for the house (brass with unknown shiny plating). I don’t own a cell phone, so that can’t be blamed. I replaced the fob battery with a fresh Panasonic CR2032 from Digikey.

First, I removed the Swiss Army knife. Still getting beeps about 50% of the time.

Next, I removed the key ring and house key. All that was in my right pocket was the bare key fob. Once I did that, I have never had a failure. It’s been performing solidly for three weeks.

Bottom line, don’t use the fob as you would normally would. The engineers never thought about that. It must exist solely without anything metal near it. It is a pain to have two key things active: house key and knife in my left pocket and Honda fob in the right. Oh, and pocket change must be in the opposite pocket.

I explained my findings to my wife who has been complaining about the fast beeping and she said “that’s crazy!”. I agree.
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I have been doing some experimentation on the walk-away locking after the dealer replaced the body control module with the updated version. Even after replacement, I often experienced the fast beeping when exiting the car. I would also get the beeping when getting into the car, after being seated and closing the door.

My key fob consisted of three things: a key ring, a small Swiss Army Classic SD knife and a Weiser key for the house (brass with unknown shiny plating). I don’t own a cell phone, so that can’t be blamed. I replaced the fob battery with a fresh Panasonic CR2032 from Digikey.

First, I removed the Swiss Army knife. Still getting beeps about 50% of the time.

Next, I removed the key ring and house key. All that was in my right pocket was the bare key fob. Once I did that, I have never had a failure. It’s been performing solidly for three weeks.

Bottom line, don’t use the fob as you would normally would. The engineers never thought about that. It must exist solely without anything metal near it. It is a pain to have two key things active: house key and knife in my left pocket and Honda fob in the right. Oh, and pocket change must be in the opposite pocket.

I explained my findings to my wife who has been complaining about the fast beeping and she said “that’s crazy!”. I agree.
I have a key ring and a bunch of keys and have not had that problem. Although, one time it did do something a bit funky, which I can't remember exactly what it was.

You said the dealer replaced the module in the car. Did they ever replace the FOB? Does it happen with the second FOB?

OP
OP

jeffNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They never replaced the FOBs. With the continuing problems, I wonder if they are part of the problem. Both FOBs have an equal probability of failing. It is interesting that you have never had a problem. Mine is an early build date (Nov 2015), so maybe the updated the FOBs in later builds.

Just discovered today that the body control module is dangling by the wiring harness in the driver's footwell by the dead pedal. Looks like the dealer forgot to fasten it when they replaced it. It never ends.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
They never replaced the FOBs. With the continuing problems, I wonder if they are part of the problem. Both FOBs have an equal probability of failing. It is interesting that you have never had a problem. Mine is an early build date (Nov 2015), so maybe the updated the FOBs in later builds.

Just discovered today that the body control module is dangling by the wiring harness in the driver's footwell by the dead pedal. Looks like the dealer forgot to fasten it when they replaced it. It never ends.
You just had one key? Maybe you need a whole bunch of keys like I have. :)

maskale

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
I have to go through metal detectors for work, they will tolerate some kinds of metal in low quantity, if it wont go through I don't wear or carry it unless I have to. So the key fob always stays in the car unlocked. Usually I close the door and walk away and that's it. Sometimes I close the door and get the fast beeps. Nothing different that I did. So??? Don't know and haven't had reason to investigate further.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I have to go through metal detectors for work, they will tolerate some kinds of metal in low quantity, if it wont go through I don't wear or carry it unless I have to. So the key fob always stays in the car unlocked. Usually I close the door and walk away and that's it. Sometimes I close the door and get the fast beeps. Nothing different that I did. So??? Don't know and haven't had reason to investigate further.
You leave the key fob in the car unlocked? Don't tell anyone where you work. LOL

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
My Civic's walk-away lock has never worked as reliably as my wife's CR-V's walk-away auto-lock, and she has more keys than I do.

Nicklo2017HB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX hatchback

Hi. I've been having the same problems with rapid beeps and not walk away locking randomly. I also keep s lot of thinks on the same key ring (including a small swiss army knife). I have started trying to remove somethings starting with the fob to my wife's jeep... so far it send to be behaving and working as expected... I will keep you posted.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had this issue from day one practically (EXT coupe). Rapid beeps upon closing the door and walking away, or even when i'd get in the car and shut the door (before starting the car). My brother in-law has the same issue with his EX hatch, and now my exes new EXL coupe also has the issue. I sent them a screenshot of this forum and we're all testing to see if the keys/keychains make a difference. Took mine off last night, so far it has worked perfectly with having just my fob in my pocket and the rest of my keys/keychains in my satchel bag i carry with me. Im going to start adding things back on and see if it's any one specific item on my keyrings that causes the issue as well. But so far so good.

*UPDATE: My brother in law and myself both removed our fobs from our keychains/other keys and have been keeping them in our pockets. Both of our cars have been behaving perfectly for close to a week now. I plan on adding back items to the key chain and see if any one key is the cause of the issue.

Last edited:

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
*UPDATE: My brother in law and myself both removed our fobs from our keychains/other keys and have been keeping them in our pockets. Both of our cars have been behaving perfectly for close to a week now. I plan on adding back items to the key chain and see if any one key is the cause of the issue.
Just found this informative post.

Any further updates? I myself get the rapid beeps occasionally, I have 3 metal keys and an USB drive on my key fob ring.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just found this informative post.

Any further updates? I myself get the rapid beeps occasionally, I have 3 metal keys and an USB drive on my key fob ring.
It’s been close to 2 weeks now both of us keeping out fobs in our pockets and away from our other keys/key chains and have had zero issues with the rapid beeping. I haven’t started testing items back on the keychain yet as I’ve gotten used to keeping it in my pocket now.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
It’s been close to 2 weeks now both of us keeping out fobs in our pockets and away from our other keys/key chains and have had zero issues with the rapid beeping. I haven’t started testing items back on the keychain yet as I’ve gotten used to keeping it in my pocket now.
Good to know. Guess you can confirm that the other metal objects cause interference to the key fob.
Problem is I prefer not to keep 2 sets of keys.

OP
OP

jeffNB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I used the car all weekend and didn't use two sets of keys. The walk-away lock failed almost all the time. When I closed the door and it failed, I would stand still, re-open and close door and it would work perfectly. So I am wondering if it is a timing issue. The BCM and keyfob are not in constant communication, so maybe I am rushing my exit.

There is some correlation between its failure rate and cold temperatures. When the temperature is at or below -10C, it basically never works. All weekend I was getting the fast beeping when getting in the car, also.

There is an inherent flaw with the system and I don't hold any hope that Honda or Continental will remedy the problem.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good to know. Guess you can confirm that the other metal objects cause interference to the key fob.
Same here, used to keep all my keys on one hook, on my belt loop. Now i keep the fob in my pocket and the rest of my keys (mostly just house keys i only use twice a day) in my satchel bag i carry with my everywhere. Not sure what my brother in law is doing, assuming he keeps the rest of his keys on his belt loop as well with the fob in his pocket. Thankfully the fob is small enough to fit in a pocket and not cause much issue (i already keep my phone, wallet, lighter, and chapstick in my pockets).

I also don't think it's a timing issue... i don't get in or out of the car any faster/slower than i used to, and yet the auto-lock has worked perfectly since keeping it in my pocket. I too thought it was a timing or proximity issue, but most of those tests i did based on those two resulted in pretty much the same 50% success rate (or worse). IMO its definitely an interference issue coming from keys/key chains/metal/etc.
Sponsored