Update to the Civic Oil Dilution fix

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So if our civic is tuned with hondata , how will this recall work because there doing a software update, will we have to go back to stock?
Yes, you should flash back to stock, but don’t do anything until Hondata/KTuner performance updates that account for the software update. Otherwise you won’t be able to flash the tune after the update.
Sponsored

WhiteCastleKid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
what does this mean for those who got their PCMs changed out for brand new ones as part of this original TSB before they updated the TSB to just a software update for the PCM?
Its not the PCM, it is the AC control unit.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
There's not necessarily any new content in the recent article below, but it does confirm that Honda has no plans to update '17-'18 models in "warm-weather states".

https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/h...m=email&elq2=b8ca313c81ca4bbfbfdef7622b5cd718

theyd actually change the oil and not the filter? fucking rediculous!
Why change it if it's not clogged?

You do realize that the oil filter requires replacement only at every other oil change (MM code B), right? MM code A is oil only.

cdawg12

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic si
Country flag
So I just went to the service center at the dealership to have a talk with them about this whole issue. I told the guy that there was some sort of bulletin issued for my car and he knew nothing about it. He then looked under my name and said that there was a “recall” issued for my vehicle. I told him I would get back to him about making an appointment to have the “software updated.” That’s how he described it. He told me that this is a “safety issue” and that I should make an appointment right away. I still told them I would call them back.

I just don’t understand that if this is indeed a recall, why doesn’t it show up when I search my VIN. I feel like he just said recall but didn’t know what he was talking about. It’s just frustrating trying to get info out of these people and this company. There’s no way I would no about this problem if it wasn’t for this forum or reading online. The people at these dealerships are clueless.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
So I just went to the service center at the dealership to have a talk with them about this whole issue. I told the guy that there was some sort of bulletin issued for my car and he knew nothing about it. He then looked under my name and said that there was a “recall” issued for my vehicle. I told him I would get back to him about making an appointment to have the “software updated.” That’s how he described it. He told me that this is a “safety issue” and that I should make an appointment right away. I still told them I would call them back.

I just don’t understand that if this is indeed a recall, why doesn’t it show up when I search my VIN. I feel like he just said recall but didn’t know what he was talking about. It’s just frustrating trying to get info out of these people and this company. There’s no way I would no about this problem if it wasn’t for this forum or reading online. The people at these dealerships are clueless.
Unfortunately, it's the same at many Dealers. No doubt there may be exceptions .. if you can find one of those, you are lucky.

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag

As you said, its a Technical Service Bulletin, not a recall. From what ive read online, there is a big difference. A recall is issued when there is a safety concern that MUST be addressed. A TSB is like a "patch" for customer complaints. I believe the manufacturer will only forward the TSB to dealers in select geographic locations where customer's have complained the most, so it may be that your dealer simply hasn't even gotten the TSB from Honda.

I just took my leased Si in for its first oil change (6300mi) and i figured they would look my car up and say "oh, there is a TSB on your car", but no. They changed my oil and rotated my tires and charged me 55$ and i left. I said nothing about it to them and they said nothing about it to me.

Like i said, my car is a lease so im not going to sweat it too much. But if i owned the car, id speak up and probably would have printed the tsb out and took it in with me. Like you, i would know nothing about it without the help of this forum. And thats probably what Honda is betting on. 99.999% of Civic owners are not on the forum and have no idea its even an issue. Since its not a safety concern, Honda is not voluntary fixing anything unless the customer complains about it.

But i agree with you. Its amazing that a dealership cant even FIND the right information when its so easily accessible.

Last edited:

Yoroen

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 prius, 2017 civic hatch
Country flag
So i flashed back to stock. My car started acting up like mis firing, running rich, etc. they did the update and replaced my oil and ac unit. i live in texas too. but since, my CEL hasnt come back on but the car does still run rich and idles rough when cold especially. but because the car was updated, once i update my flashpro, can i still flash a tune on there and flash back to stock and maintain the update no matter what tune?

Old George

First Name
Georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I too, the HONDA dealer wanted to modify my ECU to control the problem of oil dilution but I refused.
I didn't want to lose my dynobased programs at RD turbo in Montreal.
Instead, I installed an EZ oil drain valve then I cut a hole in the aluminium fairing for easy access.
When the oil level exceeds the maximumon on the dipstick, I lift the right front wheel and remove half a liter
of oil,then I complete with new oil.
In addition, I have the oil and filter changed every 5 to 6000 km even if I have an oil catch can.
So, my engine is happy!

bakerjal

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
Country flag
Wish I'd have known they were gonna do an oil change.......

Also, what's the actual cause of the oil dilution? If they fixed it with an EDU update, will that 'fix' be lost when flashing for tune?

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Also, what's the actual cause of the oil dilution? If they fixed it with an EDU update, will that 'fix' be lost when flashing for tune?
The cause of the oil dilution is fuel making its way past the pistons and into the crankcase and the engine not getting hot enough fast enough to evaporate the liquid fuel so that the engine can burn it off and it ends up accumulating in the crankcase - primarily in vehicles used in colder climates and/or for short trips.

The fix involves unspecified software changes in the modules that control the engine, transmission, and HVAC which allow the engine to reach operating temperature more quickly.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The cause of the oil dilution is fuel making its way past the pistons and into the crankcase and the engine not getting hot enough fast enough to evaporate the liquid fuel so that the engine can burn it off and it ends up accumulating in the crankcase - primarily in vehicles used in colder climates and/or for short trips.

The fix involves unspecified software changes in the modules that control the engine, transmission, and HVAC which allow the engine to reach operating temperature more quickly.
Aren't they also raising idle speed during warmup as well?

bakerjal

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
Country flag

Ah. So the question remains: will the issue come back if I flash to a tune?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I too, the HONDA dealer wanted to modify my ECU to control the problem of oil dilution but I refused.
I didn't want to lose my dynobased programs at RD turbo in Montreal.
Instead, I installed an EZ oil drain valve then I cut a hole in the aluminium fairing for easy access.
When the oil level exceeds the maximumon on the dipstick, I lift the right front wheel and remove half a liter
of oil,then I complete with new oil.
In addition, I have the oil and filter changed every 5 to 6000 km even if I have an oil catch can.
So, my engine is happy!
Be mindful that much of the excess fuel/water generally sits above the oil in the crankcase, and doesn't mix in the traditional sense. You're probably better off changing early if you ever become concerned about oil level. :cool:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
very likely
Not the case at all. Hondata and KTuner are working to incorporate the oil dilution updates into their software.
Sponsored