UOA after TSB fix

afkrejci90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Honda Civic EX-T 6MT - 02 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Had a UOA done on my oil about a year after getting the TSB fix. Appears it didn't really fix anything. The sample was done with oil used during the summer months, so no excessive idling or cold engine temps.

Honda Civic 10th gen UOA after TSB fix Capture
Sponsored

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Interesting, I have a 2019 Honda Civic hatchback sport touring (this came with the ECU re-flash already from the factory) on my 2nd oil change did an analysis because I was running E40 blend and wanted to see the effects of the ethanol on the thin 0w-20 oil. Only had 1.8% with 5,600 miles on the oil. I use Amsoil SS oil

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
jeeez. that's the worst uoa I've seen as far as viscocity/fuled dilution goues. 4.8. that's terrible. you're waaay below the grade and should be worried about lubricating properties of the oil. one would argue, but you might have a faulty injector or something. that's too much gas getting into oil

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I bet the fuel content was much more than 5%. The flashpoint method underestimates the fuel content in oil. One of the reasons is that an unknown fraction of the most volatile components of the fuel would have already evaporated from the used oil before samples were taken, while the flashpoint vs. composition data used by the lab may be only based on pure oil+gas mixtures.

OP
OP

afkrejci90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Honda Civic EX-T 6MT - 02 Ford Ranger
Country flag
I bet the fuel content was much more than 5%. The flashpoint method underestimates the fuel content in oil. One of the reasons is that an unknown fraction of the most volatile components of the fuel would have already evaporated from the used oil before samples were taken, while the flashpoint vs. composition data used by the lab may be only based on pure oil+gas mixtures.
I don't doubt it. It shouldn't be this bad according to Honda considering the issue is mostly for cold climates. I bet the sample from my winter oil will be even worse, although I remote start it to let it warm up.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I don't doubt it. It shouldn't be this bad according to Honda considering the issue is mostly for cold climates. I bet the sample from my winter oil will be even worse, although I remote start it to let it warm up.
Go to a different Honda dealer and ask for it to be checked. The problem happens because of letting the car idle and warm up. The timing of the engine is retarded and more fuel is dumped into the engine so that it can get to operating temperatures quicker. That’s why there’s excessive fuel in your engine, not all of it gets burned and it sticks to the cylinder walls and mixes with the oil. Especially if you do short drives without letting it get to operating temperature. Fuel always gets into oil especially more so in direct injection vehicles, once the car is up to operating temps. the fuel is burned off out of the oil. If the oil temperature isn’t reaching operating temperature than the fuel doesn’t evaporate out of the oil and this begins your oil dilution. It’s not all a Honda problem it’s a direct injection problem plus Honda’s poor ECU tuning for cold starts
Sponsored