Unusual Tire Wear? Anyone Else Have Wear Like This? Original OEM Continental Sport Contact 6's

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm going take her into the dealership to see if I have developed something out of alignment since my last oil change. Seems like we had the same exact wear.
Which Kumho's are you running? I just put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S's and don't want to have them wear out prematurely. Damn near $400 a tire.
Khumo Ecsta 235s

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
My CTR had 15k miles with one winter on Blizzaks so not sure of the mileage. Regular rotations. Both fronts were shot with the drivers side showing cords in the inner shoulder. Sold the car so I didn’t bother with an alignment.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
How hard are you driving this thing, bald tires at 12k?
You know the OEM tires are rated for 10k right? So yea, getting 12k out of means that they are being driven more gentle than expected. I got 4650 miles out of mine and had no problem with them only lasting that long because I knew what I was getting into when I bought the car.

OP
OP
Tyrannosaurus WRX

Tyrannosaurus WRX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 WRX
Country flag
How are you resisting the hoon and not on your second set before 9k lol
Just put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's. Hoping for close to the same performance, but also to last an extra 6,000 miles more than the OEM Continentals did!! Guess I'll find out in time.

zengineer

First Name
Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
My car has 12,000 miles and I'm still on the original OEM Sport Contact 6's. I have known for a little bit that I will need tires sooner or later. I could look in the wheel well and see the tread starting to wear away more and more. What I didn't know, was on the front wheels the complete inner edge is gone on both front tires. The only reason I noticed was because I left my wheel all the way turned the night before. When I walked up in the morning I could see only the inner edge was ready to fail.

Why would my tires wear this way? They have been rotated once Maybe twice in the 12,000 miles since purchase. And last oil change Honda told me I didn't need an alignment. I've had tires wear to nothing before in the past, but evenly! I've also had uneven wear before from needing a bad alignment. I wonder is something is wrong with my suspension?

20220324_163952.jpg

20220324_163859.jpg

20220324_163959.jpg
Just rotated my tires today. I do it every 2000 miles. Today at 10k miles I noticed the exact issue on both front tires. They look exactly like yours. I was hoping to get another 2500 miles out of them. My car is completely stock. I find this very frustrating to have to replace tires that still have 2-3k miles more life on the tread. Did you get an alignment with new tires? Did that fix the wear problem? Thanks 🙏

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
You do know the stock tires are rated for 10k miles? So yea, you are already over the expected life. Stock alignment wears tires because it has some camber, which causes uneven wear. It's intentional so the car has the cornering performance that you have (hopefully) experienced.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
Just rotated my tires today. I do it every 2000 miles. Today at 10k miles I noticed the exact issue on both front tires.
When you put new tires on, have it aligned. By aligned I don't mean having it checked for being 'within factory specs'. The factory specs are a very wide range.
That wear you're seeing is likely because of too much toe. To keep it simple have the shop set the toe to zero all around.
With stock suspension you can't adjust rear camber.
For front camber, for normal street use, set it to -1.3°. That's right in the middle of the normal range.
The stock tires can run for around 15K miles if the alignment is better.

zengineer

First Name
Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Ok I will do that. Thank you!

zengineer

First Name
Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
You do know the stock tires are rated for 10k miles? So yea, you are already over the expected life. Stock alignment wears tires because it has some camber, which causes uneven wear. It's intentional so the car has the cornering performance that you have (hopefully) experienced.
I understand the 10k mile life expectancy. But when the main tread still has 2-4 thousand miles left, only to be replaced because the inside of the tire is worn as hell, that’s a problem. My Type R has been babied, never even been driven in the rain..I’ve been trying to maximize tire life. When the inside of the tire wears excessively, and there’s still plenty of life on the tread pattern , then That’s a problem! It’s BS to replace tires that have several thousand miles left on them, only because it’s “toed out” too much. I will address this issue with new rubber. I want to get Cup Sport 2’s or Pilot Sport 4’s as my next set. I will definitely get the toe’s to neutral before dropping serious $$$ on new rubber. 😊

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
But when the main tread still has 2-4 thousand miles left, only to be replaced because the inside of the tire is worn as hell, that’s a problem. My Type R has been babied, never even been driven in the rain..I’ve been trying to maximize tire life. When the inside of the tire wears excessively, and there’s still plenty of life on the tread pattern , then That’s a problem!
It's called camber. If you don't want your tires to wear on the inside edges, then give up performance and have an alignment to remove the stock camber. Then your tires will last a lot longer, but then you won't have the cornering capabilities of a stock R. Your choice.

Choice is not a problem, only ignorance and entitlement are a problem.

bigbacon

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
My stock tires wore the same exact way.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I understand the 10k mile life expectancy. But when the main tread still has 2-4 thousand miles left, only to be replaced because the inside of the tire is worn as hell, that’s a problem. My Type R has been babied, never even been driven in the rain..I’ve been trying to maximize tire life. When the inside of the tire wears excessively, and there’s still plenty of life on the tread pattern , then That’s a problem! It’s BS to replace tires that have several thousand miles left on them, only because it’s “toed out” too much. I will address this issue with new rubber. I want to get Cup Sport 2’s or Pilot Sport 4’s as my next set. I will definitely get the toe’s to neutral before dropping serious $$$ on new rubber. 😊
Just tossing it out there but if you don't like driving the car hard / baby it, just get some cheaper meat for the tires when you zero out the toe and such. Unless you're pushing the car save your money imo on the Michelins.

CharlieTangoRomeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 SGP CTR
Country flag
My stock tires wore the exact same way with about the same mileage. I had it aligned when replacing with PS4S in OEM size and found there was significant toe from factory... don't remember if it was front, rear or both. Set it to zero toe with camber at the higher end of spec and so far, so good on both the 20" PS4S and a couple sets of A/S tires on 19" wheels for winter.
Sponsored