stickshiftnewbie

First Name
Phel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen SI
Country flag
Yes! I experience this whistling noise (not the turbo "hissing" sound) at higher rpm (2500 RPM +). This sound is coming from the AC vents. I know a lot of people have this same issue so i was wondering if anyone has a root cause for this?
We got the same problem but i tried to turn off the a/c and the strange sound is gone

d1390

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I had the same buzzing noise in my type r. Sounds like it comes from the dash, is an electrical buzzing noise, always had it.. Not sure what it is.. Throttle signals? Lol

jaydubz79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
I can 100% confirm that I have down to the letter the same issue. I've summed it up to the following characteristics.

1.) "Whooshing" or high pitched "Whistling" noise coming from just beyond dash towards engine compartment when HVAC system is on. No, this is not associated with fuel pump priming noise.

2.) Boost gauge reading will quickly vacillate between -11 to -9 bar when HVAC is engaged and at idle. Behavior stops when HVAC is turned off. (Vehicle did not do this prior to "whooshing" noise.)

3.) Rattling or a buzzing noise that is consistent with application of throttle coming from engine compartment. Typically louder when engine is cold. No, this is not a noise associated with direct injection or fuel pump priming noise.

4.) Loss of immediacy in power, car feels sluggish in lower rpm range and has the sensation of trying to build momentum.

*As usual honda service can't hear or recognize noise... I drove a 18' with a service advisor and and there was a noticeable difference in power delivery and the noises where not apparent. My gut tells me it has to do with vacuum lines or maybe a check valve... maybe going as far as the turbo charger itself.

Anyone care to create a sticky about this?

jmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2016 RAM QC 4x4, 2016 Dart Rallye
Country flag
That whistling noise is a good thing.
That is the sound of your turbo spooling up it's noticeable
between 1,800 and 3,000 rpm and usually in 1st or 2nd gear.

jaydubz79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
That whistling noise is a good thing.
That is the sound of your turbo spooling up it's noticeable
between 1,800 and 3,000 rpm and usually in 1st or 2nd gear.
What isn't "a good thing" is the power loss and the excessive noise produced when the HVAC system is engaged. The buzzing noises seems to accompany the other symptoms.

It's very easy to pass this off as turbo noise and feel like that was a satisfactory answer.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I can only say that both the whistling and the trottle-linked buzzing still occur for me with the air turned off.

ricoxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can 100% confirm that I have down to the letter the same issue. I've summed it up to the following characteristics.

1.) "Whooshing" or high pitched "Whistling" noise coming from just beyond dash towards engine compartment when HVAC system is on. No, this is not associated with fuel pump priming noise.

2.) Boost gauge reading will quickly vacillate between -11 to -9 bar when HVAC is engaged and at idle. Behavior stops when HVAC is turned off. (Vehicle did not do this prior to "whooshing" noise.)

3.) Rattling or a buzzing noise that is consistent with application of throttle coming from engine compartment. Typically louder when engine is cold. No, this is not a noise associated with direct injection or fuel pump priming noise.

4.) Loss of immediacy in power, car feels sluggish in lower rpm range and has the sensation of trying to build momentum.

*As usual honda service can't hear or recognize noise... I drove a 18' with a service advisor and and there was a noticeable difference in power delivery and the noises where not apparent. My gut tells me it has to do with vacuum lines or maybe a check valve... maybe going as far as the turbo charger itself.

Anyone care to create a sticky about this?
I have all the same issues. Spot on with the description.

Ronald

First Name
Roni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic Sedan 2018
I can confirm that it is an electrical buzz, coming from behind the glowbox. Dont know What electrical parts are there .

d1390

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
the best way to describe it would be the old 90s PC when they make the loud loading noise.

Fred_Farkle

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Evening, SI family. While driving today, I noticed a couple of strange noises related to acceleration. The first is a rather noticeable high pitched whistling that occurs in the lower parts of the rev range. I'd never noticed this before - does everyone else have this? Is this some sort of normal turbo noise?

The second is a gentle hissing, buzzing sound that also occurs during acceleration. If I let up off the throttle, it goes away immediately. Is this normal sound of the stock intake?

I didn't notice either of these sounds when test driving other 2017 SI's. Does anyone else have these?
Yes, I just recently started to notice it after my car has warmed up in the colder weather that we are beginning to experience here. I have just over 5K miles on my car and it happens while I am moving or standing still, in Sport or Regular mode, has nothing to do with the AC and it doesn't always do it with any regularity. It sounds like a rising, then dual-toned, whistling, then it falls off as I let off the gas and is always seems to do it in the lower RPM ranges. I have a customer who is the head mechanic at the dealership where I bought it and he is an honest guy, I will ask him the next time I see him. I was able to record the sound (not as clearly as I would have like to) to play it for him.

Will keep you guys informed!

ActiveArch

First Name
Nubar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It' the blower for the HVAC. Turn your HVAC off during the whine and it immediately goes away.
Yup, can confirm I’ve heard exactly what OP is describing and it’s the AC being on, sounds awful and like something is definitely wrong, but nope, turn the AC off and the weird whining noises during acceleration totally vanish.
Sponsored