Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX
Country flag
Hi all

I have a 2018 Civix LX (Canadian).
I've been observing in this forum that the remaining range is calculated on past driving conditions.
This is annoying because the remaining range is not dynamic to adjust itself to current driving conditions.
For example. I filled the tank today and the range showed 545km. I drove 20 kilometres at 7.5L/100Km and the range was showing 535. This means that in REALITY my range after refuelling would have been 565km instead of 545km as calculated upon refuelling.
Also, when most of the driving is in the city and you decide to make a highway trip, the range is also very misleading. For example

I went on a round trip totalling 240 kilometres on highway. I started with a remaining range of 250 kilometres. When I came back from the trip, instead of showing me a remaining range of 10km, the remaining range was 75km. It clearly means that the remaining range did not adjust itself as soon as I started driving economically on the highway. This was really frustrating because I kept worrying that I would run out of gas.
Had the range adjusted itself more dynamically to CURRENT driving conditions, I could have driven more calmly knowing that I had enough range to visit other places.
Sponsored

Last edited:

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The initial Range remaining is initially calculated based on overall mileage History. IT IS THEN UPDATED BASED ON THE CURRENT MILEAGE CALCULATION, but the Range will never increase. if you were getting 20 mpg in the history and are now getting 40, your range on a 11 gallon tank would start at 220 and very slowly go down from there (you could go over 400 miles, theoretically, before your Range would BINGO). PS I never trust range, just Lo-Fuel.

OP
OP
argento

argento

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX
Country flag
The initial Range remaining is initially calculated based on overall mileage History. IT IS THEN UPDATED BASED ON THE CURRENT MILEAGE CALCULATION, but the Range will never increase. if you were getting 20 mpg in the history and are now getting 40, your range on a 11 gallon tank would start at 220 and very slowly go down from there (you could go over 400 miles, theoretically, before your Range would BINGO). PS I never trust range, just Lo-Fuel.
Thanks.

Is there a way for my dealership to reset the milage history for me to start afresh ?

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
You have an odometer, fuel gauge, low fuel light and range estimate and you are still worried about running out of gas ?

I remember in the old days without any of that stuff. We just had a hockey stick that we put down the fuel filler tube into the gas tank to measure how full it was and a slide rule to calculate the mileage. You whippersnappers are spoiled these days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
argento

argento

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX
Country flag
You have an odometer, fuel gauge, low fuel light and range estimate and you are still worried about running out of gas ?

I remember in the old days with out any of that stuff. We just had a hockey stick that we put down the fuel filler tube into the gas tank and a slide rule. You whippersnappers are spoiled these days.
What century was that ? ?

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's strange, mine adjusts the remaining range very well. I would say it's pretty reliable, you will never run out of gas, more like the opposite way: the car will send you to the gas station way too early.

When my civics shows 0 miles left, then there is always more than one and a half gallon left in the fuel tank. With that in mind I always drive a minimum of 20 or 30 more miles before filing it up again.

Once I drove 80 miles after zero miles left and even then I couldn't fill it completely up. ?

The fuel tank of the sedan LX can fit 10.3 gallon (46.9 liter) by the way.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
In the USA we don't use metric (UK) gallons - Our Tank numbers are 12.39 US gal (46.9 L); but 10.3 US gallons is about what you can put in it if you just hit BINGO (lo-fuel light) and refuel.

For the OP - not sure why you'd want to reset your Range calculation as it's a record of your previous driving, but you MIGHT be able to do it by resetting Trip A & B, or disconnecting your battery for a short period (10 - 30 minutes).

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
That's strange, mine adjusts the remaining range very well. I would say it's pretty reliable, you will never run out of gas, more like the opposite way: the car will send you to the gas station way too early.

When my civics shows 0 miles left, then there is always more than one and a half gallon left in the fuel tank. With that in mind I always drive a minimum of 20 or 30 more miles before filing it up again.

Once I drove 80 miles after zero miles left and even then I couldn't fill it completely up. ?

The fuel tank of the sedan LX can fit 10.3 gallon (46.9 liter) by the way.
Oh damn.. glad it's not just me. I dove 3 miles past zero and near had a hear attack over it the whole way. And could only fit like 10.7 gal in the tank.
Sponsored