Ferdz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RSX TypeS
Vehicle Showcase
Quoting Jeff in VTEC .net ...

Acceleration, "dyno" numbers. Civic 1.5T is AMAZING

Okay, so my dyno guy is apparently traveling out of town for a while or something has come up, as I have not been able to contact him for the past few weeks. That means I was unable to dyno test the 2016 civic :(

But I did put it on our scales, found that it weighed 2900b with about a 1/2 tank of fuel. I added my weight to the tally, and then put that into our VBox, which can then calculate "WHP" based upon how hard it accelerates. According to the VBox, it put down 164-166hp to the wheels.

After making a few power runs, I ran some standing start runs, and I came away rather impressed:

0-60: 6.5 sec
1/4 mile: 14.9@97 mph

The 14.9 sounds tame but the 60' time is a lazy 2.5 seconds. This car would run low-mid 14s if it launched with any sort of authority.

yes, the car launches a bit soft with the CVT, but then it just charges and pulls steadily. I have found it to be quite quick and actually fun to drive as a "daily". Add to that the fact that you can easily achieve over 40mpg all day long on the freeway, and it makes this car a PHENOMENAL "daily driver". I'm trying to think of any cars in history that combine this level of performance, refinement, comfort while still delivering an honest to god >40mpg on the highway. I don't think it's happened. All of this, in a fully loaded package for only $26,500. Seems like a STEAL to me.

I'm guessing a 6MT would be even quicker but then it probably wouldn't achieve the 40mpg number. And it would probably expose some turbo lag that is currently obfuscated by the CVT.
Sponsored

C Note

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
Damn those are some good numbers. Car and Driver and other publications also use VBOX for their instrument tests, so this 6.5s 0-60 is amazing!

CB22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In between cars
It looks like the turbo has quite a lot left in it. This thing is going to pull even better with the coupe, I can't wait to see the 0-60 and 1/4 with the 1.5 coupe.

One question since I'm unfamiliar with CVT's... does the way it drives actually help smooth turbo lag?

Viet_Racer

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic EM1
Country flag
It looks like the turbo has quite a lot left in it. This thing is going to pull even better with the coupe, I can't wait to see the 0-60 and 1/4 with the 1.5 coupe.
And this is with the all season factory tires, which lights up traction control on 0-60 acceleration runs in the videos posted.
Get some more performance geared tires on and the 0-60 might drop another tenth or two.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Quoting Jeff in VTEC .net ...
The 14.9 sounds tame but the 60' time is a lazy 2.5 seconds.
14.9 sounds "tame" WTH? This is an econocar, most econocars are lucky to get 1/4 mile in under 16s, 14.9 is astounding for a CIVIC. Whats the cheapest trim for 1.5T? The EX-T? That's an amazing value right there.

One question since I'm unfamiliar with CVT's... does the way it drives actually help smooth turbo lag?
With the CVT, or any automatic, you only have to deal with turbo lag once, from the beginning. CVT's generally start of soft from a stop, and combined with the turbo there may be further lag as boost builds. But as you get going, it's all boost, all the time, and that is how the CVT makes up for it's sluggish start. With a manual trans, every shift drops boost and the engine needs to come back on boost at each shift. So the MT could launch better off the line, but the AT/CVT will just keep chugging along riding the peak boost. It wouldn't be impossible that a 6MT may not be faster than the CVT...we'll have to see.

These numbers tell me the 1.5T is underrated and the CVT is exceptionally efficient. In this aspect, this is another way that the new Civic compares well against German cars. Most German cars are underrated also.

Kane76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 TL
CVT is basically one single long gear so the turbo should never drop boost as long as you're going full throttle (RPM will just keep increasing and not drop). The only lag should be in the beginning starting from 0 mph as the turbo spools up.

I think this is why some members have asked if going into sport mode might actually result in worse acceleration since the CVT mimics gear shifts and RPM drops on the '"shifts". Theoretically those would be moments when the turbo's RPM drops a bit.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
CVT is basically one single long gear so the turbo should never drop boost as long as you're going full throttle (RPM will just keep increasing and not drop). The only lag should be in the beginning starting from 0 mph as the turbo spools up.

I think this is why some members have asked if going into sport mode might actually result in worse acceleration since the CVT mimics gear shifts and RPM drops on the '"shifts". Theoretically those would be moments when the turbo's RPM drops a bit.
WRX CVT looses 0.1-0.2 in any "shifting" mode. The WRX CVT gets it's best runs in "I" (intelligient) mode, or if you enable launch control, no matter what shifting mode the car is in, launch mode will cause the CVT to hold a certain revs for best acceleration:

LBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z
6.5 sec 0-60 / 14.9 quarter mile are eye opening numbers considering the price and segment of the standard Civic. 6.5 seconds matches the current Civic Si!

If the 1.5T can already hit these times, can't wait to see what the 2016 Civic Si can do. Sub 6?!

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
6.5 sec 0-60 / 14.9 quarter mile are eye opening numbers considering the price and segment of the standard Civic. 6.5 seconds matches the current Civic Si!

If the 1.5T can already hit these times, can't wait to see what the 2016 Civic Si can do. Sub 6?!
It will be interesting to see what happens with the Si... because sub 6 seconds in an Si is dangerously close to the current CTR which is quite a bit more expensive. So either the Si is going to only get a moderate power gain and focus more on better handling or they're going to have to upgrade the 10th gen CTR to make quicker numbers or else the Si will walk all over it from a value standpoint if the 0-60 is only off by a small margin, assuming handling will be comparable.

Asgaard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si
165whp, thats what the current SI is putting down and its rated at 205hp. That seems quite high for a 174hp car.

Focus ST 252hp, 270tq : 6.3sec 0-60, 14.9 1/4mile
Civic 2016T 174hp, 162tq : *unicorn numbers* 6.5sec 0-60, 14.9 1/4mile ?

The new civic looks great, but lets keep it real.

Last edited:

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Would love to see a drag race Si sedan vs ext engine.
Best bet would be the EXT (since it's the lightest weight turbo model) versus the Si. My thinking is it's a drivers race for the Si... if the person is really adept at quick shifting the Si would probably win, but someone who isn't as smooth with their shifting skills would probably get beat by the EXT. IMO. Someone needs to make this happen (legally on a track). haha.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Pretty good numbers! Did you back them up by going both directions (just to account for any impossible-to-perceive elevation changes?)
For some fun comparison, my 99Si was running a tiny turbo. It would run 14.2@99 (measured at Cecil County Dragway) and run about 14.1@101 on a G-TEC or whatever they were called back in the day. I couldn't manage better than 33mpg.
My 95 Civic Coupe, no AC, 2 airbags, D15B sohc vtec IHI-RHB5 turbo@8psi ran a best of 14.5 @ 95 but I could still achieve 40mpg highway. Point is I had to build that car, and I wouldn't want to be in it during a crash!
The new 1.5T seems awesome! I can't wait to try one out.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
165whp, thats what the current SI is putting down and its rated at 205hp. That seems quite high for a 174hp car.

Focus ST 252hp, 270tq : 6.3sec 0-60, 14.9 1/4mile
Civic 2016T 174hp, 162tq : *unicorn numbers* 6.5sec 0-60, 14.9 1/4mile ?

The new civic looks great, but lets keep it real.
The numbers I want to see are the 1.5T actually going down a track. I kinda agree here, either the 1.5T is hugely underrated, or the VBOX was inaccurate on these runs.

Current numbers I have seen from mags was 0-60 in 6.8 and 7.2. Still not bad!

Asgaard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si
The numbers I want to see are the 1.5T actually going down a track. I kinda agree here, either the 1.5T is hugely underrated, or the VBOX was inaccurate on these runs.

Current numbers I have seen from mags was 0-60 in 6.8 and 7.2. Still not bad!
Wich seems more realistic and yet putting the car ahead of the curve in the compact car market.
Sponsored