Unofficial 2016 Civic (WHP) dyno, 0-60 mph and quarter mile time

buriram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3
If you can't ford to put the Gas in a car then don't buy it.. It's the last thing I ever think of.. It's all about speed and Torque baby..
Sponsored

10thG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
If you can't ford to put the Gas in a car then don't buy it.. It's the last thing I ever think of.. It's all about speed and Torque baby..
Performance and power are big selling points of cars yes but I think most buyers are buying the Civic with MPG in mind also. The fact that Honda put such emphasis on its leading MPG figure shows that its buyers care about it.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
These motors were designed more for fuel efficiency vs. performance. But Thailand doesn't offer models with much more power, IIRC. I don't think they get the 2.0T or higher output 1.5T.

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Torque? Civic???

I guess if you are in Thailand ya'll don't really have truly speedy, torquey vehicles? Here we don't associate a Civic with "torque".

But I agree, some people go so far to obsess about MPG's or buying cheaper gas that they don't realize they just ended spending more money...

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Torque? Civic???

I guess if you are in Thailand ya'll don't really have truly speedy, torquey vehicles? Here we don't associate a Civic with "torque".

But I agree, some people go so far to obsess about MPG's or buying cheaper gas that they don't realize they just ended spending more money...
Meaning if you have a car that requires premium and you put regular in there you get less mpg? To where you didn't save any money?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Meaning if you have a car that requires premium and you put regular in there you get less mpg? To where you didn't save any money?
My meaning is twofold:
1. People will trade out of a perfectly good car to get a new one that has better MPG's...and that'll be their main reason, "better MPG's". But everyone knows that you'll only lose money if that is how you justify it. Getting a few MPG better in a new car is not a fiscally sound decision if the previous car was running fine and reliably.

2. My last car, a Maxima that had a premium fuel recommendation, would run on regular unleaded. But when I put regular in it, it would get 4-5 MPG less while also being slightly less powerful. Overall that increased my $/mile while taking away the fun factor.

I think buriram may have been alluding to how people fret over MPG's while spending tens of thousands on a car. You spend tens of thousands for a car then try to milk every MPG outta it. Where's the fun in that? Just drive the damn thing! (yeah yeah I know some people have fun trying to maximize efficiency, I get it)

Excuse me if I am nonsensical today, got some stuff going on!

H_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Si
2. My last car, a Maxima that had a premium fuel recommendation, would run on regular unleaded. But when I put regular in it, it would get 4-5 MPG less while also being slightly less powerful. Overall that increased my $/mile while taking away the fun factor.
Why did switching to regular end up significantly less MPG? Doesn't the ECU just retard timing resulting in less power? Never knew that would decrease MPG as well.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Why did switching to regular end up significantly less MPG? Doesn't the ECU just retard timing resulting in less power? Never knew that would decrease MPG as well.
This won't happen in every car.
When my Maxima was a 3.0, VQ30DE, it ran on regular just fine. No loss in power or MPGs, it too was recommended "Premium Fuel". I just couldn't tell a difference.
Later, I did a motor swap. took out the 3.0 for a 3.5, VQ35DE. Basically a more advanced motor, much more powerful, and the way the ECU dealt with knock retard was to pull timing AND enrichen A/F. I reckon the VQ30DE ECU only pulled timing.

By no means am I thinking this will happen to CivicX, but it goes to show you never know what the consequences are..

10thG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
This won't happen in every car.
When my Maxima was a 3.0, VQ30DE, it ran on regular just fine. No loss in power or MPGs, it too was recommended "Premium Fuel". I just couldn't tell a difference.
Later, I did a motor swap. took out the 3.0 for a 3.5, VQ35DE. Basically a more advanced motor, much more powerful, and the way the ECU dealt with knock retard was to pull timing AND enrichen A/F. I reckon the VQ30DE ECU only pulled timing.

By no means am I thinking this will happen to CivicX, but it goes to show you never know what the consequences are..
Weird.First time I've actually heard that happening. But yea I'd always stick with at least the manufacturer recommended octane, and no lower. Sucks for those of us in California who only have 91 octane and want or need to run full premium gas.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
This time VTEC mean Variable Timing Electronic Control(which mean VTC) don't have "Lift", so VTEC can be used for marketing.
Besides, High performance variation of this 1.5T does have VTEC ONLY EXH CAM SIDE(like EU Civic Type R), Because Honda don't need vtec to produce low-end torque anymore since they have turbo.
For the US, the 1.5T only has dual overhead cam phasing control (VTC), but no variable lift (VTEC).

The 2.0L is a modern day K20, but with VTC on both the exhaust and intake cams, and variable lift (VTEC) on the intake side. Compare this to past K series motors which had VTEC on either/both intake and exhaust sides, and only VTC on intake side.

pukemon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 DBP Civic SI
You do realize the epa numbers are estimates by your statement and actual numbers are usually better for Honda vehicles... The MT can easily get better MPG for at least a couple reasons... First being the curb weight is usually less on the MT... The driver controls the shifts...

I'm not saying this is the case with every car but in most Honda history, the MT easily bests their CVT and Autos... Time will tell and since the touring doesn't offer a 6MT option, I'll be getting the CVT...
U, many automatic transmission are getting better mpg than manuals these days. Auto have more shift points, are a lot smoother amd mature, weight difference is getting negligible and more auto tranissions are coming out with 7, 8 and even Honda is coming out with a 10 speed auto soon. The dogma about about manuals getting better gas than autos is dying. I've tried arguing this point with a few people recently but it's like arguing with a brick wall even when you concede the fact that some vehicles with manuals do get better mpg than their crappy automatic transmission counterpart.

martyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boring Accord family hauler
For the US, the 1.5T only has dual overhead cam phasing control (VTC), but no variable lift (VTEC).

The 2.0L is a modern day K20, but with VTC on both the exhaust and intake cams, and variable lift (VTEC) on the intake side. Compare this to past K series motors which had VTEC on either/both intake and exhaust sides, and only VTC on intake side.
Why dual VTC and not VTEC for the 1.5T?