AngryLettuce

First Name
Badger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type-R
Country flag
As I understood, DOT5 is for braided brake lines only. You should change your braided lines annually too as they are more prone to cracks/splits, so these tend to live in track-only cars.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
As I understood, DOT5 is for braided brake lines only. You should change your braided lines annually too as they are more prone to cracks/splits, so these tend to live in track-only cars.
There's a big difference between DOT 5 and DOT 5.1.

Also I've never heard of people replacing stainless lines annually. They're supposed to outlast basic rubber hoses.

AngryLettuce

First Name
Badger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type-R
Country flag
Don't the braided steel lines get stiff, hence the requirement for replacing? I think I read this in the MSA handbook when prepping a car for a sprint series.

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Don't the braided steel lines get stiff, hence the requirement for replacing? I think I read this in the MSA handbook when prepping a car for a sprint series.
Have been testing Goodridge SS Braided Brake Lines on our Blue Si for over 2 years, still performing as advertised. They'll go on the CTR as soon as we're stocked up again :)

AngryLettuce

First Name
Badger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type-R
Country flag
Have been testing Goodridge SS Braided Brake Lines on our Blue Si for over 2 years, still performing as advertised. They'll go on the CTR as soon as we're stocked up again :)
Delicious.
I think the concern brought to my attention when last at a track-meet was that the braided lines must be coated/sleeved as otherwise grit can get behind the steel and rub enough that a line may fracture. The advice must have been to avoid cheapnese ebay specials and get coated lines.
I may end up with a decent set if I feel these are needed.....

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Delicious.
I think the concern brought to my attention when last at a track-meet was that the braided lines must be coated/sleeved as otherwise grit can get behind the steel and rub enough that a line may fracture. The advice must have been to avoid cheapnese ebay specials and get coated lines.
I may end up with a decent set if I feel these are needed.....
I think steel lines just require more maintenance and/or inspection. Personally, I'd get them as long as I'm willing to keep up with inspecting them, but if you see track at all, you should already be doing that with ALL braking components.

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Got really busy here the last couple of weeks, here's a few updates :)

Added the AFE Intake w/ Dry Filter. No issues with fitment, no codes, no tuning required. We'll have a go with different intake kits over time, AFE is first on the list after speaking with multiple users and hearing that experiences are positive.

Induction sound in the cabin is more pronounced, but not as loud as the PRL HVI if one is wondering. I like how the factory rubber seal and intake opening is re-utilized with this Intake kit.

Link to Purchase: https://unity-performance.com/products/afe-intake-type-r

Honda Civic 10th gen Unity Performance's Street & Track FK8 Build Thread DSC_2506 (1).JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Unity Performance's Street & Track FK8 Build Thread DSC_2512 (2).JPG

While we were in there, got the Acuity Shift Linkage Bushings in. These really help with reducing the feeling of crunch between gears. As good as the 2020+ shifter is, the spherical bushings really help reduce vagueness and resistance slotting into each gear.

Link to Purchase: https://unity-performance.com/products/acuity-shifter-cable-bushings-all-mt-civic

Honda Civic 10th gen Unity Performance's Street & Track FK8 Build Thread IMG_20210427_220209_996

Honda Civic 10th gen Unity Performance's Street & Track FK8 Build Thread IMG-20210423-WA0015

Honda Civic 10th gen Unity Performance's Street & Track FK8 Build Thread DSC_2598.JPG

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Above was last Friday, this past Wednesday we knocked out a bunch more items!

AWE Track with Triple Black Tips. AWE certainly did their homework with this exhaust to make it sound deep not raspy with only a middle resonator. If you add an aftermarket DP it will add rasp to the system, especially if Catless, but I knew that and will be keeping the stock DP for some time so that's not an issue. There is a certain amount of cabin resonance, but less than my Blue Si that has a Catted DP with the AWE Touring.

No issues with the fitment, no rubbing on the heat shield(s), and no rattling. Over time this exhaust will be converted to Touring, then when adding a DP we will also add the mid-pipe.

Honda Civic 10th gen Unity Performance's Street & Track FK8 Build Thread DSC_2622.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Unity Performance's Street & Track FK8 Build Thread DSC_2660.JPG

Overall, an exhaust system is NEEDED on the FK8 to give it much needed character for the performance it delivers. Great job, @Dave/AWE and @Josh/AWE

Link to purchase: https://unity-performance.com/products/awe-tuning-exhaust-suite-2017-civic-type-r

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
To install the AWE Front Pipe, it's recommended to remove the Rear Motor Mount (RMM). We took the opportunity to add the Perrin Inserts in at the same time. Super simple install, just remove the factory insert (pic 1: inside the Perrin box), and insert Perrin's Inserts. These are 2x 70 durometer bushings that slide in with ease; grease is included in each box, but you can choose to use any grease you have as we did.

I'm glad to report there are no interior panel rattles, even with the AC on. You do feel some added vibration in the seat but not much more. I'm personally not big on launching cars from a dig so I cannot report on wheel hop improvement. To me it was more about improving shifts with less engine and transmission movement, and this paired with the Acuity Stage 2 Shift Kit that we'll add in the next post feels great!

Link to purchase: https://unity-performance.com/products/perrin-rmm-insert-2017-civic-type-r

Honda Civic 10th gen Unity Performance's Street & Track FK8 Build Thread DSC_2636.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Unity Performance's Street & Track FK8 Build Thread DSC_2630.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Unity Performance's Street & Track FK8 Build Thread DSC_2629.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Unity Performance's Street & Track FK8 Build Thread DSC_2634.JPG

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To install the AWE Front Pipe, it's recommended to remove the Rear Motor Mount (RMM). We took the opportunity to add the Perrin Inserts in at the same time. Super simple install, just remove the factory insert (pic 1: inside the Perrin box), and insert Perrin's Inserts. These are 2x 70 durometer bushings that slide in with ease; grease is included in each box, but you can choose to use any grease you have as we did.

I'm glad to report there are no interior panel rattles, even with the AC on. You do feel some added vibration in the seat but not much more. I'm personally not big on launching cars from a dig so I cannot report on wheel hop improvement. To me it was more about improving shifts with less engine and transmission movement, and this paired with the Acuity Stage 2 Shift Kit that we'll add in the next post feels great!

Link to purchase: https://unity-performance.com/products/perrin-rmm-insert-2017-civic-type-r

DSC_2636.JPG

DSC_2630.JPG

DSC_2629.JPG

DSC_2634.JPG
Purple gooey-goodness! I think this might be my next upgrade… ?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag

DSC_2636.JPG

DSC_2630.JPG

DSC_2629.JPG

DSC_2634.JPG
GJ with install putting a ton of shit in there - really helps with the NVH imo and you can attest to with the minimal vibration you introduced. Love my Perrin insert!

How hard was the Acuity shifter cable bushings to install?

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Above was last Friday, this past Wednesday we knocked out a bunch more items!

AWE Track with Triple Black Tips. AWE certainly did their homework with this exhaust to make it sound deep not raspy with only a middle resonator. If you add an aftermarket DP it will add rasp to the system, especially if Catless, but I knew that and will be keeping the stock DP for some time so that's not an issue. There is a certain amount of cabin resonance, but less than my Blue Si that has a Catted DP with the AWE Touring.

No issues with the fitment, no rubbing on the heat shield(s), and no rattling. Over time this exhaust will be converted to Touring, then when adding a DP we will also add the mid-pipe.

DSC_2622.JPG

DSC_2660.JPG

Overall, an exhaust system is NEEDED on the FK8 to give it much needed character for the performance it delivers. Great job, @Dave/AWE and @Josh/AWE

Link to purchase: https://unity-performance.com/products/awe-tuning-exhaust-suite-2017-civic-type-r
Thanks for posting.

I’m going from Touring I like over past year but want more sound to Track. Look should better match sound.

I’m probably staying stock DP or maybe PRL catted.

Wary of drone but after 20/25 years mil on flight line...

“Huh? What drone? I don’t see one, where is it?”

Bummer is, conversion Touring to Track piece (ordered today) takes 40-45 biz days.

Honda Civic 10th gen Unity Performance's Street & Track FK8 Build Thread 717B25F9-3514-4406-B6A6-6ADEBDFD1596

Honda Civic 10th gen Unity Performance's Street & Track FK8 Build Thread 2BFC0CE8-3B6A-4CCC-A868-6546CE08F194

Honda Civic 10th gen Unity Performance's Street & Track FK8 Build Thread 7BF186DD-2D2B-4220-8596-D6793F2F256D

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Acuity Stage 2 Shift Kit! Having experienced this on a few customer cars, we decided to run this on our CTR as well rather than jumping right over to the fully adjustable Acuity Short Shifter as we did for our two Si builds. The 2020+ Shifters are nearly an inch shorter than previous years so that's already a bonus.

Adding the three upgrades in our opinion gives you easily 75% of the thrills of having the fully adjustable shifter by Acuity. This setup will satisfy the want for a great short shifter on a budget, no complaints whatsoever if that's what you're seeking / can budget for at this time.

Does this render splurging on the Acuity Short Shifter less desirable? Going back and forth between my Si and CTR the last week I have to say No. The Acuity is an engineering masterpiece, and you really can tailor it your way. If you have your mind set on that, then you can't be swayed :)

Link to purchase 2020+ Shifter w/Acuity Upgrades: https://unity-performance.com/products/2020-civic-type-r-shifter-w-acuity-upgrades-all-6mt-civic

Link to purchase Acuity Fully Adjustable Short Shifter: https://unity-performance.com/products/acuity-adjustable-short-shifter-all-mt-civic

Honda Civic 10th gen Unity Performance's Street & Track FK8 Build Thread DSC_2196.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Unity Performance's Street & Track FK8 Build Thread DSC_2617.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Unity Performance's Street & Track FK8 Build Thread IMG-20210320-WA0029

Honda Civic 10th gen Unity Performance's Street & Track FK8 Build Thread DSC_2078.JPG

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
GJ with install putting a ton of shit in there - really helps with the NVH imo and you can attest to with the minimal vibration you introduced. Love my Perrin insert!

How hard was the Acuity shifter cable bushings to install?
Yessir, can't overdo it with the grease! We've experienced quite a few RMM upgrades on our Si so I had a really good idea for how it would feel in the CTR. No complaints for a daily setup, over time as the build evolves we'll try other ones as well.

Shifter Cable Bushings are pretty easy; should take you about an hour to install. Acuity has shared a great install video of the process:

Sponsored