Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Hello All!

Many may be familiar with us already, but if you aren't then hopefully with the addition of our new-to-us 2020 FK8 (#35834) we will get to know all you on a first name basis over the coming years! Over on the Si sub-forum, my personal account (@CanadiaegeanBlue), and my partner @Thusee have been quite active as before founding Unity Performance we were always very active members updating our build threads with new mods and custom projects. The Side Marker Lights that we offer is what started it all, which I'm sure quite a few of you know us for and are rocking them on your cars! Their success in nearly 50 countries helped fund many other projects for the builds, and now we've got a growing selection of parts ranging from exterior, interior, braking, suspension, and engine performance :)

Humza's Si Build Thread
Thusee's Si Build Thread

Since we got a shop space, and became sponsors on CivicX last October the support for Unity Performance has truly been overwhelming (Thank You!). Previously, we were working with locals to test FK8 parts; we have now added our own which allows us immediate access to the car for testing new parts on street and track, and being very honest I like many of you felt that a CTR was the next step after the Si. It will certainly speed up both our knowledge and product offering for the platform, and that's what it really is for myself and Thusee - we want to be viewed as knowledgeable and helpful guys in the community sharing honest real world experiences with you all.

This thread will be dedicated to the ongoing modifications being added to our CTR over the course of our ownership. I spend plenty of time browsing the forum already, and folks like @Lust and others have great build threads that we follow to see what combination of brands and parts work well together. We are selective with what we offer based on our testing, and what is proven to work well. Like you, we're enthusiasts and knowledge-seekers so it will be a great time learning from you guys, contributing our own findings, and then hopefully the chance to help many of you with various parts for you build!

Though based in Toronto, Canada, a majority of our customers are US-based as is our website which loads up in USD, with the switchable option for CAD. No complications, hidden fees, duties etc. for folks on either side of the border!

You can have a look at what we offer on our site for the FK8: https://unity-performance.com/collections/2017-civic-type-r

Onto the car! Here she is - picked her up with 6,000kms / 3,750 miles last Friday. Since then, I've put on about 600kms getting a feel for the car. It came with with a set of 18" winters, and the factory wheel and tire setup in the trunk - no mods or signs of of tracking, seemed to be very well kept. Initial impressions are that there's quite a noticeable difference between Comfort, Sport, and R. Being a 2020 it comes with the full suite of Driver Assistance, and to be honest I'm actually a fan of letting it do it's thing on the highway. For those wondering, I I've used the volume knob maybe once because the steering wheel buttons are just much more easily accessible - volume button is also too small. The fan speed buttons are nice however, definitely wish my 2017 Si had that!

Honda Civic 10th gen Unity Performance's Street & Track FK8 Build Thread DSC_2379.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Unity Performance's Street & Track FK8 Build Thread DSC_2407.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Unity Performance's Street & Track FK8 Build Thread DSC_2403.JPG

Driving dynamics wise, a stock CTR blows a stock Si out of the water! Currently, my Si is a full catalog Whiteline, Ultra Racing, and has 255/35 Yokohama AD08R's so the Si in its current setup is more potent than than the CTR; we'll find out how much exactly when tracks open up after our new lockdown, and I can set a new PB with the Si, and a baseline with the CTR at Toronto Motorsports Park (TMP). A 1:21 with the Si, and a 1:23 (on stock wheel and tire) with the CTR would be awesome! Straight line speed hasn't really been the focus with my Si build, currently FBO it's shy of 240whp. @Thusee has the 27won W1 Turbo on his Si, and in doing a few "rolling tests" between the a bigger turbo Si and stock CTR we found that from 4-7K RPM, the CTR gets the hit with its faster response, but the Si hangs on only dropping behind very slightly . Mind you, Thusee is due for a custom tune soon as he's currently just running the standard KTuner basemap for the W1.

Handling wise, and this just may be a 2020+ CTR thing that the steering is weighted a lot heavier (which I prefer), than even our SI's equipped with the Whiteline Anti Lift Kits, and Adjustable Lower Ball Joints, and Tein FlexZ Coilovers in Thusee's case. I suspect this is due to the Dual Axis suspension design + different electronic steering programming. Again, it would be no contest with a stock non-CTR but delightfully surprised to see the CTR still ahead. I can't rate steering feel fully yet without having the summers on there. Speaking of...I don't want the 20" donks on there, so I'm actively seeking out a 18x9.5 ET45 wheel setup that will either be wrapped up in 255/40 or 265/35.

More in the following posts, but just wanted to take this time to introduce ourselves as the little shop that's growing fast due to our commitment of serving the community, and thank you to all that have been supporting the vision! Here's to a great start of many years of building and learning together ?

Cheers,

Humza

Last edited:
OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Dibs on the steering wheel if you ever want to get rid of it.

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
lol i find it funny you called the 20" wheels donks because they are not even close.

plus to me the Type R's look better with the 20's on them just not the stock black wheels

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Dibs on the steering wheel if you ever want to get rid of it.
I tend to keep OEM parts ?

100% the steering wheel will be exchanged for our Flat-Bottom Steering Wheels once we restock. The alcantara feels better than past years, but with use these wheels wear out too quickly, plus of course we gotta rock ours!

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
What's the decision process between MOTUL DOT4 and DOT5.1?

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
lol i find it funny you called the 20" wheels donks because they are not even close.

plus to me the Type R's look better with the 20's on them just not the stock black wheels
To each their own, but yeah personally I would only like them on for pictures if for example we are installing them with Spacers for pictures. Second scenario would be if I wanted to get the most accurate track day baseline by running them at least once. Not a big fan of the spoke design either, but powder coated in White they're not half bad.

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To each their own, but yeah personally I would only like them on for pictures if for example we are installing them with Spacers for pictures. Second scenario would be if I wanted to get the most accurate track day baseline by running them at least once. Not a big fan of the spoke design either, but powder coated in White they're not half bad.
what I choose for mine

Honda Civic 10th gen Unity Performance's Street & Track FK8 Build Thread 20210307_121319

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What's the decision process between MOTUL DOT4 and DOT5.1?
Motul's Dot4 is essentially their 5.1. In regards to 5.1 vs. RBF600 the way I see it is that it's Street vs. Street & Track use

Motul 5.1 has a dry boiling point of 516°F (272°C). Motul RBF600 has a higher dry boiling point of 594°F (312°C), so a longer duration till you start experiencing brake fade. If you're not tracking your car, and/or for the winters then save yourself the money and go for 5.1 as it still performs well for a fraction of the cost :)

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
what I choose for mine

20210307_121319.jpg
Much nicer than OEM for sure, but not optimal for track use due to size and weight. 18x9.5 under 22lbs is what I am aiming for our CTR :)

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Motul's Dot4 is essentially their 5.1. In regards to 5.1 vs. RBF600 the way I see it is that it's Street vs. Street & Track use

Motul 5.1 has a dry boiling point of 516°F (272°C). Motul RBF600 has a higher dry boiling point of 594°F (312°C), so a longer duration till you start experiencing brake fade. If you're not tracking your car, and/or for the winters then save yourself the money and go for 5.1 as it still performs well for a fraction of the cost :)
Great break down, thanks sir!

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com