Uneven tire wearing?

dietbepis1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
Hey everyone,

The other day I went to rotate my tires and was dismayed to find that they were in need of replacement; every tire had been worn down to, or a bit past the wear bars on the innermost section, except the driver front tire which was down to the cords 😬. The tread is solid everywhere else but the inside area.

I have been running NSX wheels with Pilot Sport All-Season 4s for the past ~22,000 miles - sizing is 245/35/19 so overall dimensions are very close to stock wheels and tires. I bought the wheels and tires from a guy on this forum and I thought that they had only a few thousand miles on them (although I may be misremembering or have been mistaken about number) so I was hoping I would get more wear before I replaced them. I should note that I use the car almost exclusively for highway commuting and have only done a bit of spirited driving around nearby twisty roads - no track days or anything.

A couple questions:
  • Was I being unrealistic about the tread-life from the tires? As far as I know, they have about 27,000 miles on them. TireRack says that the warranty on a new set is 45,000 miles so I thought that I would get at least 10,000 more miles out of them.
  • How frequently should I be rotating my tires? I was doing it every 10,000 miles.
  • Is that wear characteristic of the car and how the suspension is set up, or was I in need of an alignment? I did not have it aligned when I put the NSX wheels on, because the overall size was like 1% different from the OE wheels. The car has 26,000 miles on it total so I figured that it would still be mostly aligned.
Thanks everyone and remember to check your tire wear! :thumbsup:
Sponsored

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
when was the last time you had an alignment.

Is the wear the same throughout all four tires?

You probably shouldve gotten more life out of them. If you were rotating your tires, you probably shouldve spotted the wear occurring well before the bars and thought to get an alignment or something.

jrow3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2003 4Runner
Country flag
I'm running the exact same setup as you (PS4s on NSX wheels) with maximum camber all around and seeing very even wear on my tires. I would look at checking your alignment.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
For reference check wear on your OEM set and see if it's even. Roads in your area are noted for their poor condition so it's very likely alignment is toast and if you rotate every 10k then all 4 have seen the front end.

OP
OP
dietbepis1

dietbepis1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. I will have my alignment checked. To answer Tacthecat, My oe set (which I took off at ~5k miles) has pretty even wear from a casual inspection.

One more question: do you think I should be rotating tires sooner than 10,000 miles? I feel like that was what I saw in the maintenance minder but it's possible I read it somewhere else or even made it up haha.

k3nosis

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R Championship White
Country flag
Happen to see this post, but yeah IMO you should rotate more frequent than 10,000. I do it every oil change, 6k miles. Most common interval for tire rotations as recommended is anywhere between 5k-7.5k.

RTC975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type-R
Country flag
On AS4's in 18". I missed one rotation last year and they developed some noise in the 40-45mph range but there is plenty of meat still on them and above the wear indicators at roughly 20k miles. Rotate every 5-6000 or oil change and you'll get decent life out of them.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
the MM will indicate a rotation every oil change. if you're putting 10k miles between oil changes then that makes sense. You'll probably want to do it earlier. My oil changes come around 8k miles or so.

The fronts are hard on the inner parts of the tire from my experience and rotation is needed to even all that out.
Sponsored