BMP99SI

First Name
Bairon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si 2-Door Coupe
Country flag
I own a 2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe and I have a few questions about modding and tuning. I’m still a noob at this.

All Ive done to the engine is add a little K&N Cold Air intake. I want to buy a Ktuner (Not sure if I should get the 1.2 or the V2) but will the intake affect anything if I want to add a stage 1 tune?

Sometime in the future I want to replace the intake with a PRL intake and also install a PRL Inter cooler and Turbo Kit. I want to keep everything else stock (Clutch,Transmission/Gearshift, fuel, etc) and get a good tune on the car. I’ve heard that it’s not a good idea to keep the clutch stock and also I could be at risk of blowing up my engine if I put too much power? I’m not sure if that’s true.
Will I have to go to a special place to get a good tune or can I go anywhere in general?

My car only has 6k miles on it, should I wait longer for the mods or can I start now?
My plan is to install a simple Ktuner with a stage 1 tune first and then go for the big stuff. Thanks in advanced!
Sponsored

shibles

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
More power will always increase wear on an engine and increase the possibility of a blown engine, but keeping boost low, not flooring it all the time, proper maintenance, and purchasing quality parts (so far all you've said are good quality) will reduce the risk of this.

Intake will help the tune slightly. More air flow = more boom = more power. Once you have all the mods you want a custom tune will get the most out of your exact configuration.

You will definitely need a new clutch. Other weak points in the car include cooling and injectors, just thought I'd let you know.

As for tunes you can take it to any tuning shop and get that done, although it's better to consult other car guys around you to find the best ones as there's not necessarily any standardization. Any random place could have the best tunes in the nation or could potentially ruin your car with the tune (although rare). Again, consult forums and consult people locally for the best results.

Happy modding!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, if you are running an intake not named Injen with a street MAF, the base tunes will be just fine. It's when you start adding bolt-ons that a custom tune almost becomes a necessity.

The risks at that level of power are minimal as long as you don't abuse your car. Feel free to check out my tuning reliability survey for more info.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Honestly, if you are running an intake not named Injen with a street MAF, the base tunes will be just fine. It's when you start adding bolt-ons that a custom tune almost becomes a necessity.

The risks at that level of power are minimal as long as you don't abuse your car. Feel free to check out my tuning reliability survey for more info.
I agree with gtman. With your current config you don't need a custom tune. The only other "bolt-on" I would consider is possibly a performance Intercooler, which also does not require a custom tune
Sponsored