Underrated Stock Si Numbers?

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
It’s the torque and the area under the power curve. They run very similar numbers in the 1/4 mile.
The BRZ feels much slower like the K20/K24 engines because those engines needed to rev in order to produce decent power.
Many reviewers consider the BRZ slow, but it’s power curve and numbers matches that of a K20, which was praised as being “fast”. I wonder why people don’t consider the 8th/9th gen Si slow but the BRZ slow?
Besides the BRZ being newer, I think the k20s were considered fast because they were in a practical FWD car. RWD cars are expected to be more sporty and therefore have more power, unless you're super light like the miata.
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
As someone who previously had a stock BRZ (which has 205hp and a 156lb-ft), my Civic Si feels way faster. Just merging on the highway while flooring the accelerator on my BRZ was painfully slow that I felt sorry for the people behind me. The Si doesn’t feel like that and doesn’t feel much slower than my 15 WRX.
As others stated previously, torque will give you the feeling of power especially when delivered up front. The Si delivers it way earlier in the rev range (1800 RPM) where the BRZ probably doesn't start kicking in until after 4000 rpm. In the end it all evens out if they have the same whp and weight

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
It’s the torque and the area under the power curve. They run very similar numbers in the 1/4 mile.
The BRZ feels much slower like the K20/K24 engines because those engines needed to rev in order to produce decent power.
Many reviewers consider the BRZ slow, but it’s power curve and numbers matches that of a K20, which was praised as being “fast”. I wonder why people don’t consider the 8th/9th gen Si slow, only the BRZ?
Who praised any SI for being fast?

15ish seconds at low mid 90's wasn't fast when the k20 debuted and it isn't fast now.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Who praised any SI for being fast?

15ish seconds at low mid 90's wasn't fast when the k20 debuted and it isn't fast now.
Given that it’s a one point five liter turbocharged intercooler engine with 205 horsepower it performs as the same or better than a V8 powered performance car of the 80s aka mustang Camaro
so for a small cubic inch motor to put out a decent a mount of power
you have to give it some kudos
just my 2 cents :)

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Given that it’s a one point five liter turbocharged intercooler engine with 205 horsepower it performs as the same or better than a V8 powered performance car of the 80s aka mustang Camaro
so for a small cubic inch motor to put out a decent a mount of power
you have to give it some kudos
just my 2 cents :)
I totally agree. It's not fast, but it's also not slow. Just for arguments sake, let's say stock it makes 187 whp (others claim it makes more). That's still pretty impressive for a 1.5L engine that averages 35 mpg and has an under 3000 lbs curb weight. When I first test drove the Si in 2018, I was not blown away, but I was impressed that a car with such a tiny power plant did as well or better than my previous car which had a 3.3L V6. Than when I got my Ktuner and installed TSP's stage 1 tune, I was really impressed.

I only went back to a NA V6 because at my age (52) I found driving daily in traffic with a MT to be tedious and I needed something more quiet and comfortable. That and I'm just a spoiled Toyota snob :)

Although I will admit, if I was able to get my hands on an 8th or 9th gen Accord Sport V6, I would be loving life

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
The K20 is just a 2 liter. The L15 isn't just a 1.5, it is a 1.5 with a turbo. That little turbo makes big difference and effectively makes it a larger engine than its displacement would suggest.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
The K20 is just a 2 liter. The L15 isn't just a 1.5, it is a 1.5 with a turbo. That little turbo makes big difference and effectively makes it a larger engine than its displacement would suggest.
I did post 1.5 turbocharged engine although I have a EX turbo with
a CVT 174 HP I’m pretty satisfied with the performance of the car as a daily driver
Sponsored