Under-Seat Subwoofer - Experience with these?

Project_Dark

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hey guys I'm looking to boost the base in my 2017 Hatchback Sport and recently discovered under-seat subwoofers. I'm thinking this may be the way to go as I don't want to take up extra space in the trunk.

Have any of you guys tried these? How are they? Any recommendations as to which one to pick? Installation difficulty.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T sedan, '12 LX sedan
Country flag
I put two sound ordnance units under each seat of my sedan, they have enough output to match the stock system easily, but there's a nasty peak at 90 hz that I haven't had time to try to tune out. It might just simply be that I have them crossed too high, but it's going to be tough to do since the adjustment pots are so hard to get at. I think I should have not rushed the installers.

I should probably shut one down, then spend some time tuning just one and try to make the second one match.

Last edited:

migs

First Name
migs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 hatch exl
Country flag
I was looking at these also . Since they have a integrated amp I wonder if it can be used to upgrade/power door speakers as well. Apparently this JBL fits fine under the seats.
Honda Civic 10th gen Under-Seat Subwoofer - Experience with these? 1617203032447

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
I've got a Pheonix gold unit in mine; Does a perfectly fine job of balancing the system. Had a Kensington KSC-SW11 in a previous car, also did a decent enough job for the small packaging and AIO installation.

Re the integrated amp @migs, It's usually all inboard - No amped output on the sub.

If you have a non-connect unit, you can get an ISO-T harness and easily plug in-line a Pioneer D1004 or similar ISO-compatible amplifier. - Also makes it easy to tap an output for the Sub!

OP
OP
Project_Dark

Project_Dark

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm pretty happy with my powered sub. Cerwin Vega VPAS10

20190725_183314.jpg
Looks like a nice unit and has good reviews on Amazon! What was the setup and install process like?

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like a nice unit and has good reviews on Amazon! What was the setup and install process like?
Thanks, It's a nice sub/amp combo!

The built-in amp has sensing technology that a lot of newer amps nowadays have, so no need to run a remote wire anymore. Just tap into the front speakers for signal and add a fused power line to the battery and a ground wire.

Pro-tip is tap into the speakers at the passenger side kickpanel/glovebox area. That is where the OEM amplifier is, so you can get both speakers there.

The sub is just sitting on the floor carpet with velcro. There is not much room under there for it to slide around.

It also comes with a remote level switch that I ran to the dashboard. Modified one of the switch blanks to make it fit:

Honda Civic 10th gen Under-Seat Subwoofer - Experience with these? 1617211999246

OP
OP
Project_Dark

Project_Dark

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks, It's a nice sub/amp combo!

The built-in amp has sensing technology that a lot of newer amps nowadays have, so no need to run a remote wire anymore. Just tap into the front speakers for signal and add a fused power line to the battery and a ground wire.

Pro-tip is tap into the speakers at the passenger side kickpanel/glovebox area. That is where the OEM amplifier is, so you can get both speakers there.

The sub is just sitting on the floor carpet with velcro. There is not much room under there for it to slide around.

It also comes with a remote level switch that I ran to the dashboard. Modified one of the switch blanks to make it fit:

1617211999246.png
Very impressive. I wouldn't even know where to begin on a project like that. Was there a YouTube tutorial or one elsewhere that helped guide you with the installation process? Or are you just a master :p

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Very impressive. I wouldn't even know where to begin on a project like that. Was there a YouTube tutorial or one elsewhere that helped guide you with the installation process? Or are you just a master :p
Been installing sound systems into my cars since I first got my license almost 15 years ago! Thought I'd grow out if it, but I never did lol.

The hardest part is popping of the panels and running the wires. You could watch a video, but if you're not comfortable, best to let a professional handle it.

hockeyman316

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Been installing sound systems into my cars since I first got my license almost 15 years ago! Thought I'd grow out if it, but I never did lol.

The hardest part is popping of the panels and running the wires. You could watch a video, but if you're not comfortable, best to let a professional handle it.
Where did you pick up the Cerwin Vega sub? i'm a big fan of their stuff.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase