Under 4k, tire warranty? help?

wdrx02

Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB
Country flag
I purchased my car not too long ago, it still have under 3500k.
This past weekend, my wife said my tire sounded funny and had sound. I checked and discovered the side wall is bulging/bubbling. I took it to Discount Tire, and they said it would need to be replaced. However, being so new... to take it to the dealer and see if they can replace it under warranty.

I called the dealer where I purchased the car from, and they basically would need to order the tires and I would have to pay $18x out of pockey + $20 installation charge.

In short, obviously dealer doesn't seem to honor this, and I understand the vehicle and tires are separate. I know wear in tear can be of many factors. However, does our stock "Continental" tires have warrarny for dealers or the vehicle buyer?

I see https://www.continentaltire.com/warranty the tire's website has warranty and if its within 12 months. There is free replacement. However, would this need to be through the dealer; as, I didn't specifically purchase the original tires that came with the vehicle?

For $18x, I may as well get new tires. However, that is what I do not want to do, if I do not have to. Why pay for one new tire for that price; when I may as well get better tires for less... Anyone had this issue? What can you suggest for me to get this replaced "free of charge" by dealer, Continental or Discount tire?
Sponsored

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In my experience, I've only gotten a bubble on my tire from hitting something. This is probably what the dealer is thinking as well.

OP
OP
wdrx02

wdrx02

Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB
Country flag
In my experience, I've only gotten a bubble on my tire from hitting something. This is probably what the dealer is thinking as well.
Yes, I have worked on suspension and vehicles in general as well, so I do know what the potential causes. In addition, own many vehicles + wheel fetish; which means... experience dealing with tires. I am just surprised with this, as I never had Continental brand tires. As our Civic OEM tires are those... I am surprised to find out; how I do not confide in this brand already. While my successful attempt to avoid pot holes, I am even more-so surprised with the bubbling, especially on a new vehicle.

Long story short, I am at Honda Dealer and worked with the Service Manager.
He and I called Continental; and they will reimburse 50% while I pay the other half.

Overall, when the time comes. I plan to get what I have had before and confidence in: Yokohama, Pirelli, Bridgestone Potenza.
Had those tires with long distance travels and never had issues. Yes, even with rare uneven road or small potholes.

Half is better than paying completely new tires I suppose.... Just frustrated with having to deal with this in a new vehicle.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My Odyssey and 9th gen Civic all got bulges from their Continentals. Both were ProContacts as I recall. The Odyssey made it 55k (respectable) but suffered a blowout at a sidewall bulge. Wear was around 4-5/32 as I recall. I know they were on their last year, but they weren't done yet.

The 9th gen had several bulges I'd noticed just prior to trading (I re-tired the Odyssey and traded the '15 Si within a week or so from each other, I'd already been looking at replacing it and didn't want to put a dime in it). I traded right at 3 years.

There was a lot of noise on the Odyforums and a little on the 9thgenforums about these tires failing at the sidewall from bulges that eventually blowout. Lots more generally on the internet. IMO, I'd replace them all if they're the same tire. There's too many accounts of them (if they're the same ones I'm talking about) being prone to this kind of failure. I'm not anti-Continental... but that one tire they make is pretty awful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wdrx02

wdrx02

Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB
Country flag
My Odyssey and 9th gen Civic all got bulges from their Continentals. Both were ProContacts as I recall. The Odyssey made it 55k (respectable) but suffered a blowout at a sidewall bulge. Wear was around 4-5/32 as I recall. I know they were on their last year, but they weren't done yet.

The 9th gen had several bulges I'd noticed just prior to trading (I re-tired the Odyssey and traded the '15 Si within a week or so from each other, I'd already been looking at replacing it and didn't want to put a dime in it). I traded right at 3 years.

There was a lot of noise on the Odyforums and a little on the 9thgenforums about these tires failing at the sidewall from bulges that eventually blowout. Lots more generally on the internet. IMO, I'd replace them all if they're the same tire. There's too many accounts of them (if they're the same ones I'm talking about) being prone to this kind of failure. I'm not anti-Continental... but that one tire they make is pretty awful.

Just based on your experience, it proves me point on my "NOT having confidence" in them.

If you have "ProContacts", its what came with my 2018 Civic HB.
They are the Continental ProContacts TX @ 17in.

I don't know why they put better on Discount tire as the rating... I believe almost all OEM tires are mediocre, in exception some top model or special vehicle like the Honda S2000, Lexus F Sport or some BMW M3-M5. Civic stock tires. I am going to inspect my tires more or plan to see if I can get a trade for something better at Discount. I rather get the Yokohama for less than the tires we have @ DT's and Dealer price. They are overpriced for what they are...

Update: Decided to look into Continental tires, as I never had them and according to reviews.. it seems they are CRAP tires: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/tires/continental.html?page=5 Why did Honda go with them?! Seems common for the 16+ Civic...

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just based on your experience, it proves me point on my "NOT having confidence" in them.

If you have "ProContacts", its what came with my 2018 Civic HB.
They are the Continental ProContacts TX @ 17in.

I don't know why they put better on Discount tire as the rating... I believe almost all OEM tires are mediocre, in exception some top model or special vehicle like the Honda S2000, Lexus F Sport or some BMW M3-M5. Civic stock tires. I am going to inspect my tires more or plan to see if I can get a trade for something better at Discount. I rather get the Yokohama for less than the tires we have @ DT's and Dealer price. They are overpriced for what they are...

Update: Decided to look into Continental tires, as I never had them and according to reviews.. it seems they are CRAP tires: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/tires/continental.html?page=5 Why did Honda go with them?! Seems common for the 16+ Civic...
I've heard of some good tires they make... and I can't speak to them personally as I've never owned them other than the ones that came on the '15 Si and '14 Odyssey. Again, same tires, despite them being vastly different sizes. While it's unfair to compare an old tire to a new one, even the Sis tire when it had only between 20-30k so it should have been mid-life had poor traction wet and dry, especially when you consider the limited power a stock K24Z7 makes. It was always a bunch of starting to spin then power cut from VSA, even under partial throttle. Tons of road nosie too.

Given my poor experience with that one specific Continential tire, it didn't inspire me to go out and spend money on the brand again. I ended up getting a moderately priced set of Falkins on the Odyssey which, after 15k are holding up nicely and should get me to 100k miles (about 50k on the tires). Still quiet. Good ride. Good wet and dry traction.

There area lot if other similarly priced tire options for a lot of decent, if not great tires to let you choose anything other than ProContacts again. I'm also of the option OEM tires are not great usually. Kind of like the insole you get in a pair of new shoes... they're meant to be replaced for the best fit. I've been very pleased with my OEM summer tires.. Good years asymmetric something-or-others. I wouldn't buy them again, but am certainly happy to keep them until they're worn.

Just watch them close if you get a replacement. My blowout didn't go badly. It happened going into our driveway. The practically non-existent lip going from the road to out driveway just popped what I assume to be a preexisting bulge about the size of the quarter as my wife came home. I managed to get it up in the air in before it rested on the rim and swapped for the spare. Remember too: you can have bulges on the backs that can't be easily see w/o removing the wheels... or at least driving it forward a foot at a time several times and seeing what can be seen at that spot. There were a couple bulges on both vehicles on the inside too. Again... lots of bad noise about them on other forums where they didn't come close to getting their full life out of them due to this failure method. Even if I was given a free set, I wouldn't use them. I just have no confidence in them.

OP
OP
wdrx02

wdrx02

Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB
Country flag
I've heard of some good tires they make... and I can't speak to them personally as I've never owned them other than the ones that came on the '15 Si and '14 Odyssey. Again, same tires, despite them being vastly different sizes. While it's unfair to compare an old tire to a new one, even the Sis tire when it had only between 20-30k so it should have been mid-life had poor traction wet and dry, especially when you consider the limited power a stock K24Z7 makes. It was always a bunch of starting to spin then power cut from VSA, even under partial throttle. Tons of road nosie too.

Given my poor experience with that one specific Continential tire, it didn't inspire me to go out and spend money on the brand again. I ended up getting a moderately priced set of Falkins on the Odyssey which, after 15k are holding up nicely and should get me to 100k miles (about 50k on the tires). Still quiet. Good ride. Good wet and dry traction.

There area lot if other similarly priced tire options for a lot of decent, if not great tires to let you choose anything other than ProContacts again. I'm also of the option OEM tires are not great usually. Kind of like the insole you get in a pair of new shoes... they're meant to be replaced for the best fit. I've been very pleased with my OEM summer tires.. Good years asymmetric something-or-others. I wouldn't buy them again, but am certainly happy to keep them until they're worn.

Just watch them close if you get a replacement. My blowout didn't go badly. It happened going into our driveway. The practically non-existent lip going from the road to out driveway just popped what I assume to be a preexisting bulge about the size of the quarter as my wife came home. I managed to get it up in the air in before it rested on the rim and swapped for the spare. Remember too: you can have bulges on the backs that can't be easily see w/o removing the wheels... or at least driving it forward a foot at a time several times and seeing what can be seen at that spot. There were a couple bulges on both vehicles on the inside too. Again... lots of bad noise about them on other forums where they didn't come close to getting their full life out of them due to this failure method. Even if I was given a free set, I wouldn't use them. I just have no confidence in them.
I concur. I would like to, be able to use as much possible on these original (stock) tires. However, I am not confident in the brand due to this, and similar to you. I would not plan on getting the brand - when the time comes to replace them (hopefully much later with natural wear and tear).

Thanks for your input / feedback :)

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
If you got wheel package in your few your fine. If not go through continental since they manufacture the tire not Honda.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Whatever. The OEM tire was the Firestone FE310(?) for my ‘16 Touring. Dealers can choose tires, though. I’ve bought Continental tires for years. Best price to performance ratio I’ve found, and have never had a problem with them. Yes, even around big potholes...

OP
OP
wdrx02

wdrx02

Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB
Country flag
Quick update - Almost a week since the tire replacement. This Sunday, my center console pops up with a orange "Low Tire Pressure". I did a visual inspection of the tires and all seem fine; furthermore, I took it to Discount tire. I went there and got a free Aircheck. This too, showed fine (35-38 PSI). Due to this, I have concerns the TPMS sensor on the wheel that got the tire replacement effected the TPMS on that wheel to trigger. I called and mentioned it to the service manager. However, he stated my car does not have a TPMS sensors. It is actually a wheel speed sensor. I call BS. However, like to hear some thoughts on this. Either way, it was brought to my attention to perform a TPMS re-calibrate in our screen (Home -> Setting -> TPMS Calibrate). Hmmm... no TPMS equipped but the setting is called "TPMS Calibration". Either way, I did that and the indicator went away - great! or so I hoped... This morning on my way to work, the indicator came on again. I reset it for now, but called the service manager to see what can be done.

I personally believe when they replaced the tire. They either: 1) messed up that wheel's sensor and should have just replaced it. To my knowledge and experience, Wheels with TPMS, they are typically replaced upon a tire change. This is based on many accounts with Discount tire in the past and was mentioned.

I am trying to see if I can get some clear help from the Honda dealer and hope they will replace that TPMS sensor for that wheel.

Thoughts? Anyone experience this, or is it something with the 2018 Civic EX HB?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your service manager is correct. We have no speed sensors. You set all your tires to the proper pressure and calibrate the system. Any future pressure differences will show up as a difference in the tires rotational speed because the circumference will change with a change in pressure.

OP
OP
wdrx02

wdrx02

Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB
Country flag
Discount Tired mentioned all my tire pressure, via the air check lane - was fine.
However, I had them make it consistent at 40psi all around.

Based on what I am hearing... what can possibly cause all this or what "may not have been done" when at the Honda Dealer? I mean, this all happened after the tire was replaced @ Honda.
I was not provided with any advise or instructions at Honda, as to - needing to do anything.
Albeit, I do see this to be a common question and found videos online, so will try the advises their.

Thanks

Last edited:

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Checked your original post, but was there any extra wear on that tire vs the others? If the sensor keeps triggering, something else might be causing extra drag on that wheel. Like the brake, or the bearing. That being said, my wife’s Golf always throws an error for that tire when I change to the winter set. It doesn’t come back after recalibrating.

OP
OP
wdrx02

wdrx02

Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB
Country flag
Checked your original post, but was there any extra wear on that tire vs the others? If the sensor keeps triggering, something else might be causing extra drag on that wheel. Like the brake, or the bearing. That being said, my wife’s Golf always throws an error for that tire when I change to the winter set. It doesn’t come back after re-calibrating.
I have the issue resolved.
Took it to another Honda dealer, and they properly re calibrated and explain to me why.
Basically, the 16+ Civics requires a sequence to alleviate this issue.

Reset/re calibrate, then take out for about 15 mins +, in ADDITION. Make sure to be running 45+ mph. It was brought to my attention, not only will it take some time, you want to be rolling for some time; so it can set it as default. However, the 45+mph is not a certainty by the Honda Tech. He thinks its just "best practice" but, its possible to be 30mph +.

Either way, got a knowledgeable Tech that helped.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have the issue resolved.
Took it to another Honda dealer, and they properly re calibrated and explain to me why.
Basically, the 16+ Civics requires a sequence to alleviate this issue.

Reset/re calibrate, then take out for about 15 mins +, in ADDITION. Make sure to be running 45+ mph. It was brought to my attention, not only will it take some time, you want to be rolling for some time; so it can set it as default. However, the 45+mph is not a certainty by the Honda Tech. He thinks its just "best practice" but, its possible to be 30mph +.

Either way, got a knowledgeable Tech that helped.
You didn’t answer my question on increased wear for that one tire, though. If it wasn’t, the techs are probably right. If there was, recalibrating the sensor will only hide the issue.
Sponsored