First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Howdy, 17 civic SI sedan,

When installing the ultra racing strut tower bar it looks like there is not enough stud to thread the nuts on. I made sure its torqued to 46 ft/lbs and added paint marker to ensure it's not coming undone.

When I look for other pics of mention of this, it seems to be common? All other strut tower bars I see allow for plenty of stud material to fully thread on.

Has anyone ran this bar in this fashion for an extended length of time? Doesn't instill confidence

Honda Civic 10th gen Ultra Racing strut tower bar doesnt allow strut nuts to be fully threaded 20210607_162521

Honda Civic 10th gen Ultra Racing strut tower bar doesnt allow strut nuts to be fully threaded 20210607_162458

Honda Civic 10th gen Ultra Racing strut tower bar doesnt allow strut nuts to be fully threaded 20210607_162455

Honda Civic 10th gen Ultra Racing strut tower bar doesnt allow strut nuts to be fully threaded 20210607_162447

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you purchase this item new? If I recall correctly, these bars usually come with new hardware for installation. (it appears you re-used factory hardware)

OP
OP
OsirisPalko

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I didn't buy it new, as far as I know I'm at least the third owner, lol

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Did you purchase this item new? If I recall correctly, these bars usually come with new hardware for installation. (it appears you re-used factory hardware)
Product page:

FITMENT: All Honda Civic, including Type R, Hatch and Sedan
NOTE: We suggest using our low profile nuts.

OP
OP
OsirisPalko

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Should I uninstall it until I have the proper hardware, or just keep an eye on it?

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Second owner (myself) never installed it, because I realized that I couldn't race GS class with a strut bar. I was never aware of the low profile nut suggestion ... but it sounds like a safe and acceptable solution.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Should I uninstall it until I have the proper hardware, or just keep an eye on it?
I think it won't make a difference....same amount of thread is engaged on the actual stud regardless? Just doesn't look quite as nice.

OP
OP
OsirisPalko

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Second owner (myself) never installed it, because I realized that I couldn't race GS class with a strut bar. I was never aware of the low profile nut suggestion ... but it sounds like a safe and acceptable solution.
Yeah, not your fault or problem

I think it won't make a difference....same amount of thread is engaged on the actual stud regardless? Just doesn't look quite as nice.
Makes sense. Blue loctite is in order, perhaps?

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
I would purchase lower profile nuts. Maybe the one that rampage fab will work.

OP
OP
OsirisPalko

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I'm probably going to end up just buying a different strut bar because I don't want to wait 30+ days for bolts.. It's ingrained in my head that "Short Bolting" is not great, because the first few threads on a bolt are weaker as it's where the thread starts https://www.boltscience.com/pages/shortbolting.htm

OP
OP
OsirisPalko

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This has come up before, and the verdict is that the bar is safe to use so long as the nuts have been torqued down to spec.

My question to you is, before posting this thread did you contact Ultra Racing USA support? They have nuts they could sell or supply to you, or at least answer your questions.

I bought mine new from them in 2019, and it came supplied with these nuts. As you can see they're lower profile nuts that have full thread engagement. If you search up, you can even find them at a hardware store.

Honda Civic 10th gen Ultra Racing strut tower bar doesnt allow strut nuts to be fully threaded DSC_2837.JPG

OP
OP
OsirisPalko

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I emailed them asking to purchase the nuts, just waiting to hear back, but on their website it says they have a 30 day lead time for all orders due to them being effectively shut down. I made this post to ask "Is this OK to run". The bar is definitely good quality. In the preliminary test drive, it accomplished exactly what I needed.

Do you know of a resource with the nut spec listed? I didn't think to ask Ultra Racing about the nut spec, but I will once they reply. I think it's 14mm 12x1.25 ?

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
It's a total non-issue. I reused the stock hardware and while it may not look "perfect", it's functionally fine.

I torqued mine to 40 pounds and it never budged from that during the entire time it was installed.

Honda Civic 10th gen Ultra Racing strut tower bar doesnt allow strut nuts to be fully threaded IMG_20171013_151901
Sponsored