Uber Eats or Door Dash.. what kind of gas mileage are you averaging weekly??

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I just started doing both delivery platforms about a week ago. I’m in Florida and the way gas prices are these days.. it’s no wonder why Uber Eats is upping their surcharges to help drivers out with the gas costs. I think I’m doing more Uber eats than door dash anyways.

Before I started.. I was averaging about 36.8/36.7mpg. Now it dropped down to 36.1mpg ??

I’m starting to think this side hustle isn’t really worth it. I already drive about 40 miles one way to work. But I’m trying to earn some extra cash and I’m usually pretty picky about which orders to accept and which to decline.

Does anyone else on here do any of these two or just one of these as a side job? If so… what are you averaging? Weekly? I filled up my car like 4 times this week ?? but I already knew that was gonna happen because of the constant stop and go, distance I’m traveling and what not.
Sponsored

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do instacart. As long as you didn't make a typo, this is a drop of less than 1mpg. You're talking .6 or .7mpg less. You literally aren't going to notice a difference over a tank of gas. 11 gallon tank, .7mpg less, you only lose 7.7 miles on a full tank. If a gallon of gas costs $4, and you get 36mpg, it is less than $1 additional for the tank of gas. I would say the increased earnings you can make on a tank of gas FAR exceed that $1.

I average a lot less in either my 2007 Camry or R (on the rare chance I do instacart with that) and I still do it. If you're picky about the orders and make sure it's worth your time, it's actually a pretty good side gig. I make generally $20-$25 an hour and then write off the mileage. Factoring in gas it's closer to $15-$20 an hour but you just putz around the store and shop and then cruise around. It's a no brainer to me, easy money!

Also, if you can take orders on your way home from work, you can write off your drive home. I drive 68 miles so I try to do that whenever I can. You'd be surprised how fast the tax write off adds up for mileage.

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do instacart. As long as you didn't make a typo, this is a drop of less than 1mpg. You're talking .6 or .7mpg less. You literally aren't going to notice a difference over a tank of gas. 11 gallon tank, .7mpg less, you only lose 7.7 miles on a full tank. If a gallon of gas costs $4, and you get 36mpg, it is less than $1 additional for the tank of gas. I would say the increased earnings you can make on a tank of gas FAR exceed that $1.

I average a lot less in either my 2007 Camry or R (on the rare chance I do instacart with that) and I still do it. If you're picky about the orders and make sure it's worth your time, it's actually a pretty good side gig. I make generally $20-$25 an hour and then write off the mileage. Factoring in gas it's closer to $15-$20 an hour but you just putz around the store and shop and then cruise around. It's a no brainer to me, easy money!

Also, if you can take orders on your way home from work, you can write off your drive home. I drive 68 miles so I try to do that whenever I can. You'd be surprised how fast the tax write off adds up for mileage.
I don’t think I have any luck with getting orders on my way home when I set my destination but when I don’t have a destination set, I am getting all these orders that are taking me out of the way going the other direction. One thing I can’t stand is getting Walmart grocery orders. I tend to not accept those. I know when you don’t start accepting orders, your ratings will drop and you can potentially get your account deleted.

My satisfaction rating is already at 93% and I’ve already done 59 deliveries since I started last week. I’m trying to figure out why I’m having to fill up more than usual. I think there’s something wrong with my gas tank lololol

I haven’t learned how to track my mileage. I know there’s an app you can use but I don’t know how to factor that in unless you write down your starting mileage when you start driving then write it down again when you stopped for the evening ??‍♀

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Your acceptance rate doesn't matter. Costumer rating and completion rate do. Decline every shit order you get, wont hurt at all.
Sponsored