TypeR Buying Experience

CWNole95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CW FL5 #775, '23 SGP FL5 #10771, 2005 NFR S2K
Country flag
I think that a prospective buyer's experience prior to purchasing depends on what his or her goals are regarding price and color. I toyed with a different color choice, but in the end CW won me over as I am very much a traditionalist. I did considerable calling/e-mailing to dealers within bordering states of NC and after a bit, found a brand new 2019 CW within two hours that I paid thousands less than MSRP. It also included wheel locks and the CTR trunk tray. Had I not been set on CW, I could have purchased long before for a similar price point.

The deals are out there, but yes, they do take considerable effort to land sometimes. Best of luck to you in your search.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TechSIguy

TechSIguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R CW
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m in the Boston area and I got mine at sticker at Honda Village in Newton. The general manager David there is a Honda performance enthusiast and is pretty cool. He has a S2000 stashes in the basement of the dealership. I had Charles for the salesperson but there’s a guy Josh that is more into performance cars.

I got mine in November last year. You might get a break on the sticker. Not every dealer around here has a CTR but at the time they had access to 4, 3 new and 1 used. The used one was the general managers car and is for sale but for a couple grand more you can get a new one. Actually you’ll be paying more possibly due to the price increase. Mine was before the 2019 increase so MSRP was $35k.

no, this is not in the same class as a Lambo but they do treat it like a special car. They have me the keys to the used one as it was out front and I took it on the Mass pike. I recommend going down Washington street then getting one the Masspike eastbound. The on-ramp is like a take off strip for a plane and you can open it up and really feel the acceleration. Make sure you are in +R mode. Then get off at the Newton corner exit which is the next exit. This was the first time I drove a CTR so this nailed down the decision to get one.

They were super nice there. Let them know I bought my car there and maybe they will give a discount to you or something. No freebies but you might ask for a Type R shirt or something. I got the wheel and extended warranty just In case. That way I can use the 20” rims without worry at least for a few years. Got snow tires at Direct tire on Galen Street around the corner in Newton. Talk to Andrew and he will set you up.

It comes down to color preference too as not everyone has all the colors.

Tom at Ernie Boch Jr Honda in Dedham was nice. Not sure if he was a manager but he was very knowledgeable and answered the phone. He had a used black one that he recommended as the used Honda’s have a longer warranty than the factory warranty it that one may be sold already but they are a big dealer and may have more inventory now compared to last October.

Feel free to ask any questions if I can help!
Thank you for all the information I will definitely make sure to reach out if I have any question since you are in my area as well. I am defnitely hoping to at least test drive the car first although I know I'm just going to end up buying it anyways. Just want to deal with any BS. I'm pretty straight forward when buying my past cars, usually hassle free and I just get the checks from my bank.

OP
OP
TechSIguy

TechSIguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the best time is now to get a 19 if you're in the market for that or want the refresh of the 20.

I dealt with a lot of BS buying new. No used ones around here and no test drives, unfortunately. Was very similar to the S2000's when I was getting one back in 2008.

A lot of BS about pricing and lying to me about pricing before coming out. I don't like to waste my time and anyone else's. Dealer I bought from was asking $10K over MSRP. I was able to get under MSRP. I'd say inquire for one, look at it feel it out and wait to see if it gets sold. I had been looking since October. I got tired of the BS and revisited when the new year rolled around. That same car didn't move for 3 months, and they sold to me to the price I wanted to pay. Dealers don't wanna be sitting on these cars for too long.
I hope thats not the case around here. I'm seeing a lot of new and used Type R's at the dealerships for 2-4 months. This particular one I've been eyeing on Car gurus has been sitting there for almost 6 months now. Wonder if people aren't buying them or the dealerships have some surprises when we go look at the cars.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Thank you for all the information I will definitely make sure to reach out if I have any question since you are in my area as well. I am defnitely hoping to at least test drive the car first although I know I'm just going to end up buying it anyways. Just want to deal with any BS. I'm pretty straight forward when buying my past cars, usually hassle free and I just get the checks from my bank.
No problem, glad to help. Just call around. Since you know what you want it’s just a matter of calling around for the right color. I only dealt with Honda Village and called and spoke to Boch Honda but I assume that the climate for these cars have mellowed out to some degree. Just treat this like any another car. Call around, see what colors are around, see what deal you can get. The sales person was very easy. What gets sleazy is the extended warranty and stuff. Decide if you want that or not. I opted for it because of possible 2nd gear issues and electronics as far as interior electronics and sensors. Also went for the wheel warranty, both through Zurich. Made my wife more at ease as the wheels and tires can be pricey. Some may not opt for these as they could be a waste of money. Up to you what you want but the sales process was easy. But act kinda quick. I was thinking about the white one in their showroom and when I finally decided it got sold the day before. Fortunately they had a second white one in their satellite lot. I don’t know what’s happening with the 2019 models now since there’s anticipation of the 2020 models coming, which is also something for you to think about if you want a 2020 model. If you want a 2019 I don’t know if they are getting more scarce as the new 2019 models will eventually all get sold but you’ll have used ones to consider.

Have fun!

fk8wah

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R
Country flag
I thought buying my Tacoma TRD Pro was bad, but buying the type R was worse. Ended up buying a modded 2018; I ended up paying way less than market price for a decent red one.

OP
OP
TechSIguy

TechSIguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No problem, glad to help. Just call around. Since you know what you want it’s just a matter of calling around for the right color. I only dealt with Honda Village and called and spoke to Boch Honda but I assume that the climate for these cars have mellowed out to some degree. Just treat this like any another car. Call around, see what colors are around, see what deal you can get. The sales person was very easy. What gets sleazy is the extended warranty and stuff. Decide if you want that or not. I opted for it because of possible 2nd gear issues and electronics as far as interior electronics and sensors. Also went for the wheel warranty, both through Zurich. Made my wife more at ease as the wheels and tires can be pricey. Some may not opt for these as they could be a waste of money. Up to you what you want but the sales process was easy. But act kinda quick. I was thinking about the white one in their showroom and when I finally decided it got sold the day before. Fortunately they had a second white one in their satellite lot. I don’t know what’s happening with the 2019 models now since there’s anticipation of the 2020 models coming, which is also something for you to think about if you want a 2020 model. If you want a 2019 I don’t know if they are getting more scarce as the new 2019 models will eventually all get sold but you’ll have used ones to consider.

Have fun!
If you don't mind me asking whats the general price range for the wheels warranty, that's something i may be interested in, not sure if i'll go for the extended warranty though. I'm dead set on the white as of right now, sonic gray pearl being my only second choice so you're right it might be an easy process for me to just call and ask what they have.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
I honestly forgot what I paid for it. I forget what we paid for the wheel protection package. It was through the company Zürich. I’ll see if I have time when I get home and see if I can dig around for the papers and look for it if I remember.

The thing is now you might be able to call up a couple of dealerships and if two of them have a white type are then you might be able to bargain and say hey how much of a deal can you give me on this car I’m willing to buy it right now with the wheel protection package and see what they can give you for a deal. You might be able to get something out of it may be a T-shirt. Set of wheel locks. Speaking of wheel locks I didn’t ask for them but they were actually on my car when I got them which was a nice surprise. And it doesn’t look like I paid for them. But you might want that. See what you can get out of them. I got the all weather mats my wife Insisted I get the car cover two. And also the cargo tray. There’s some nice little options that maybe you can bargain for if you can have two dealerships fight between the two of them for your business.

Keep us updated and let us know what happens!

eXstasy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Have you decided if you're hunting for a used one or buying brand new?

Like you've mentioned earlier, since you're in the Boston area, you already have access to some of the better prices. I'm in California and I bought mine near you, from Herb Chambers Honda of Seekonk. My salesman was Tim Kane. I would recommend working with him.

I'm not sure if he can give you the same deal or not though. I had to pay to ship the car back to me in California, but even with that added in, I still did better than if I bought locally. If you want, you can tell him you were referred by Chris from California, if that even helps :p

I will PM you my invoice if you want it.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm in California and I bought mine near you, from Herb Chambers Honda of Seekonk. My salesman was Tim Kane. I would recommend working with him.
Wow! I didn’t know they were that hard to get on the West coast! When did you buy if you don’t mind me asking? Was it recent?

I was just thinking Seekonk is like over an hour from me and I wouldn’t go there to get a car let alone across the country!

eXstasy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Wow! I didn’t know they were that hard to get on the West coast! When did you buy if you don’t mind me asking? Was it recent?

I was just thinking Seekonk is like over an hour from me and I wouldn’t go there to get a car let alone across the country!
I think you can but it depends what price you want to pay and how much work you want to put in. I would've driven a couple hours to pick up the car though. You're lucky!!

Yes just recently. I purchased her on 11/25/19, finally got my shipping lined up and it was delivered to me in CA on 12/17/19. It was under MSRP so I was thrilled.

The shipping took me so long to line up that I was tempted to fly over and drive it home, but the road conditions were bad since it was wintertime, and it would realistically take me too much time to drive across country so I had to be patient.

Honda Civic 10th gen TypeR Buying Experience IMG_6349
Honda Civic 10th gen TypeR Buying Experience IMG_6351

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the info!

Nice trailer! That made a nice Christmas present!

So weird. Just trying to figure if other parts of the country are getting less CTRs or else there’s just higher demand there, like they sell more or something? Like Subaru’s in general sell well here because of the awd and there are a ton more WRX and STi cars here but FWD is fine here as well.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag

200 or 2000 miles away. What’s the difference. Factor in shipping costs and make a deal that is acceptable.

I had mine shipped from FL to CO.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you don't mind me asking whats the general price range for the wheels warranty, that's something i may be interested in, not sure if i'll go for the extended warranty though. I'm dead set on the white as of right now, sonic gray pearl being my only second choice so you're right it might be an easy process for me to just call and ask what they have.
found the paperwork. It was price but it was not just for the wheel protection. It was a package. My wife had read a long term CTR article and the testers dented a rim and I think it cost them $1,300 or something like that to replace it which sounds totally insane. I can’t find the article though. The package includes Yire and wheel protection, alloy wheel cosmetic repair (both of these cover ANY wheel that’s on the car be it the factory rims or aftermarket for snows, etc) paint less dent repair and also key protection if you lose your key or it breaks. Also covers emergency road side service. This package was $940. I know, pricey but the wife wanted everything for this car even the factory car cover. Meanwhile I’m thrashing this car in the snow, Hahahha!

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
I bought mine NEW in Mid January of 2020, I got it for 1,000 above MSRP. Not too bad. They also let me test drive it, they took the floor model out and everything for me to test drive. I live in South Florida, and went to a Rick Case Honda dealership. I think the most anyone should pay now is 1500 above MSRP, when I called other dealerships they would start out at 2500 above MSRP. The dealership I went to started out asking 42K for it and I brought them down to what I said. I'm pretty happy with this price and think I probably could've gone even lower. If you go to them and you have done your research you should be good. Just go to True Car and it gives you all the stats of what and how many people pay for this car. You should pay less than 3% above MSRP. Also, dealerships want to get rid of these before the 2020 comes out so its another incentive for them to sell.
Sponsored