TypeR Buying Experience

TechSIguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R CW
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
General question here for everyone whos gone through the experience of buying a type R. I'm looking to get a lightly used 2019 Type R in late March or April. Just want to get your insight on the whole experience of buying the Type R. I know a lot of dealers won't let you test drive, but what else should I be expecting. Just want to know if they're still treating this car as if its a Lamborghini. Just for reference, I'm in Boston and there is a lot of Type R's for sale at MSRP or below. I even found one with 10k miles for 32000.
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
General question here for everyone whos gone through the experience of buying a type R. I'm looking to get a lightly used 2019 Type R in late March or April. Just want to get your insight on the whole experience of buying the Type R. I know a lot of dealers won't let you test drive, but what else should I be expecting. Just want to know if they're still treating this car as if its a Lamborghini. Just for reference, I'm in Boston and there is a lot of Type R's for sale at MSRP or below. I even found one with 10k miles for 32000.
If you’re looking at a used model, they generally will let you test drive those.

OP
OP
TechSIguy

TechSIguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you’re looking at a used model, they generally will let you test drive those.
Well thats good to hear about the used ones. Not too worried about test driving it though because i know I'm set on getting it.

BrokeCTROwner

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 1999 K20 Integra
Country flag
A lot of the struggle of buying a type r isn’t there when buying used. I had to go to 4 different dealers to find mine at the price I wanted and oddly enough the dealer I bought it from had the highest asking price (60k!)

OP
OP
TechSIguy

TechSIguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A lot of the struggle of buying a type r isn’t there when buying used. I had to go to 4 different dealers to find mine at the price I wanted and oddly enough the dealer I bought it from had the highest asking price (60k!)
whoa! Did you buy used or new?

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
Vacaville? haha

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
I’m in the Boston area and I got mine at sticker at Honda Village in Newton. The general manager David there is a Honda performance enthusiast and is pretty cool. He has a S2000 stashes in the basement of the dealership. I had Charles for the salesperson but there’s a guy Josh that is more into performance cars.

I got mine in November last year. You might get a break on the sticker. Not every dealer around here has a CTR but at the time they had access to 4, 3 new and 1 used. The used one was the general managers car and is for sale but for a couple grand more you can get a new one. Actually you’ll be paying more possibly due to the price increase. Mine was before the 2019 increase so MSRP was $35k.

no, this is not in the same class as a Lambo but they do treat it like a special car. They have me the keys to the used one as it was out front and I took it on the Mass pike. I recommend going down Washington street then getting one the Masspike eastbound. The on-ramp is like a take off strip for a plane and you can open it up and really feel the acceleration. Make sure you are in +R mode. Then get off at the Newton corner exit which is the next exit. This was the first time I drove a CTR so this nailed down the decision to get one.

They were super nice there. Let them know I bought my car there and maybe they will give a discount to you or something. No freebies but you might ask for a Type R shirt or something. I got the wheel and extended warranty just In case. That way I can use the 20” rims without worry at least for a few years. Got snow tires at Direct tire on Galen Street around the corner in Newton. Talk to Andrew and he will set you up.

It comes down to color preference too as not everyone has all the colors.

Tom at Ernie Boch Jr Honda in Dedham was nice. Not sure if he was a manager but he was very knowledgeable and answered the phone. He had a used black one that he recommended as the used Honda’s have a longer warranty than the factory warranty it that one may be sold already but they are a big dealer and may have more inventory now compared to last October.

Feel free to ask any questions if I can help!

Last edited:

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Also, if you are able to afford a new one, I would go that route. You never know how the car was treated. I used to work at Acura of Boston in the early 90’s and when we got our first 1994 Integra GSR it was sold with only 700 miles on the clock but those were 700 VERY hard driven miles. Like practically everyone took it for a ride and it wasn’t just to take it for a leisurely ride.
Is every used car going to be like that? Of course not. But is it possible that the car got “exercised” a little? I would think so imo. It’s a Type R.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
It’s a good to buy a new 2019...

Buying? Nothing special. Find the car, make an offer, scratch the check.

roflitzjinno

First Name
Jinno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Country flag
I think the best time is now to get a 19 if you're in the market for that or want the refresh of the 20.

I dealt with a lot of BS buying new. No used ones around here and no test drives, unfortunately. Was very similar to the S2000's when I was getting one back in 2008.

A lot of BS about pricing and lying to me about pricing before coming out. I don't like to waste my time and anyone else's. Dealer I bought from was asking $10K over MSRP. I was able to get under MSRP. I'd say inquire for one, look at it feel it out and wait to see if it gets sold. I had been looking since October. I got tired of the BS and revisited when the new year rolled around. That same car didn't move for 3 months, and they sold to me to the price I wanted to pay. Dealers don't wanna be sitting on these cars for too long.
Sponsored