amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
It all depends on how you achieve that 11 second car. Plenty of cars run 12s stock and they are not a nightmare to drive off the track. Now if you were to do a full strip, solid MM etc yeah you're going to see a decrease in comfort.

My brother built an 00 SI (b18/b16 head, gt35R etc) and honestly it felt like it did stock except for clutch engagement.
Mainly I have heard this from others, but my experience comes from driving in a highly modified 2016 STI that had a 1/4 mile of 10.741 (it was running around in the range of 500whp or so). So the backstory...this car belonged to a sales guy from a company I've been doing business with for sometime. He lives in the Sacramento, CA area and came down to meet me face to face and take me out to lunch. I had already known about his car and his love of modifying thru our few years of talking on the phone. I don't want to get into too many details about his Subaru, but this thing was fast. But it was also loud, and dronned like crazy. And although extremely thrilling to drive in, I could tell that as a daily driver it would drive me insane. The clutch was so stiff that you had to really use a lot of muscle to go down on it. The car jerked it had so much power. The worst part...something was always breaking. Two fuel pumps went out in a course of a year, stock sleeves failed. He was constantly monitoring his fuel trims, IAT's, Knock control, etc. for any issues. Maybe this was the exception to the rule, but that's not how I want my daily driver. I want a nice comfortable, reliable drive between A and B
Sponsored

Last edited:

freezingmoon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe
Country flag
Haha, thanks. Just to let you know, I don't want to turn this into an argument. So I will apologise for the snappy response. I don't know anything about you, so I will not make any judgements, but I have probably been around longer than you (I'm 52) and have driven tons of performance cars as well as modified cars (on and off the track) over my lifetime, so what I wrote was based on my experiences. I will admit I've always preferred stock setups for the cars I have owned other than maybe a mild tune.

As a fellow car enthusiast (since you have been doing this since the 90's), we can hopefully disagree in a more friendly manner
lol, deal... I’m 46 so not very far behind you at all... and likewise have driven all different types of modified cars since I was a kid... some sucked as dailys and some drove more or less like stock... having a clutch that handles the power your making can be the only thing that degraded the stock feel to your driving experience but for someone that’s never driven stock clutches it’s something you get used to...

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
lol, deal... I’m 46 so not very far behind you at all... and likewise have driven all different types of modified cars since I was a kid... some sucked as dailys and some drove more or less like stock... having a clutch that handles the power your making can be the only thing that degraded the stock feel to your driving experience but for someone that’s never driven stock clutches it’s something you get used to...
Haha I will trade your age with mine in a sec! That's what I meant by different experiences. I grew up driving German cars (mostly VW's, Rabbit and GTI) and when I got out of college and was getting into a career, I switched to Toyotas, so I am spoiled (since 1995). For example, I drove a 2006 Camry SE 3.3L V6 until 2018, and my wife drives a 2013 Sienna, as you know they are both quiet and isolate you from NVH. After giving my daughter my Camry in 2018, I wanted to go back to a MT and bought a 2018 Si Sedan. I loved it, but I'm not as young and driving in traffic for over a year took its toll on me...that and my wife constantly complained when she drove in it that it was to loud, to hard etc. So I sold it and bought a 2010 Lexus IS350 from a friend (with 52K miles) and am back in my comfort zone.

That said, I have always had a lot of fascination on how far you can take power, and most of the modified cars I have driven have belonged to friends. I have always had the dream of buying a weekend/project car I can modify the hell out of, but I would have to deal with my wife on having an extra car sitting in our backyard. The good news is, my son recently turned 16, so I am currently looking for a used Toyota Corolla or Matrix XRS we can play around with, with the excuse that it's for him. Why an XRS? They are high reving, and there is only so much additional power you can get out of it and I don't want to give something to my son that has to much power. Plus I can pick one really cheap!

freezingmoon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe
Country flag
Haha I will trade your age with mine in a sec! That's what I meant by different experiences. I grew up driving German cars (mostly VW's, Rabbit and GTI) and when I got out of college and was getting into a career, I switched to Toyotas, so I am spoiled (since 1995). For example, I drove a 2006 Camry SE 3.3L V6 until 2018, and my wife drives a 2013 Sienna, as you know they are both quiet and isolate you from NVH. After giving my daughter my Camry in 2018, I wanted to go back to a MT and bought a 2018 Si Sedan. I loved it, but I'm not as young and driving in traffic for over a year took its toll on me...that and my wife constantly complained when she drove in it that it was to loud, to hard etc. So I sold it and bought a 2010 Lexus IS350 from a friend (with 52K miles) and am back in my comfort zone.

That said, I have always had a lot of fascination on how far you can take power, and most of the modified cars I have driven have belonged to friends. I have always had the dream of buying a weekend/project car I can modify the hell out of, but I would have to deal with my wife on having an extra car sitting in our backyard. The good news is, my son recently turned 16, so I am currently looking for a used Toyota Corolla or Matrix XRS we can play around with, with the excuse that it's for him. Why an XRS? They are high reving, and there is only so much additional power you can get out of it and I don't want to give something to my son that has to much power. Plus I can pick one really cheap!
every time I think of trading in the Honda badge I remind myself of how much I really enjoy these cars and how most everything has failed comparatively... I did buy an Evo x a couple years ago just to see if I could handle not driving a Honda... got the Evo for 10k, needed nothing except a fuel pump relay... I ended up hating it and sold it for 16k and that’s when I bought the 2018 si, finally Honda offered a factory turbo car and I really wanted it... now that I have had it for almost 2 years and a bit of upgrades (flex fuel, clutch, downpipe, frontpipe, intake , rear motor mount, wheels) I do like the car but the power limitations due to the fuel system have me wanting to get rid of it and build another earlier model... perhaps I’m just nuts tho and never going to be satisfied until I own an nsx

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
every time I think of trading in the Honda badge I remind myself of how much I really enjoy these cars and how most everything has failed comparatively... I did buy an Evo x a couple years ago just to see if I could handle not driving a Honda... got the Evo for 10k, needed nothing except a fuel pump relay... I ended up hating it and sold it for 16k and that’s when I bought the 2018 si, finally Honda offered a factory turbo car and I really wanted it... now that I have had it for almost 2 years and a bit of upgrades (flex fuel, clutch, downpipe, frontpipe, intake , rear motor mount, wheels) I do like the car but the power limitations due to the fuel system have me wanting to get rid of it and build another earlier model... perhaps I’m just nuts tho and never going to be satisfied until I own an nsx
The Si is the only Honda I have every owned, but I have driven several, including the Accord Sport V6 (8th Gen) and the Accord Sport 2.0T, as well as the Civic Type R (you can see my thread on that). I absolutely loved the Sport V6, I tried to find one, but nobody seems to want to sell theirs! Before I bought the Si I had the bug for going back to MT, and was looking to buy the 10th Gen 2.0T with the 6 speed, but no dealer had one. So after researching the Civic Sport, that took me to the Si. I think it's an absolutely amazing car for the price (I paid $22k), especially what you get like LSD, adjustable dampers, etc and when I tuned it with TSP's Stage 1 tune it really brought new life out the engine. But It's a car I should have bought 10 years ago, because it just didn't fit my current personality. Also, I am a bigger displacement guy, coming from 15 years of driving V6's. An I4 just didn't do it for me. It's not the speed or power (well, not entirely) but it's the feeling, and sound you get from a V6. Here is an example of a run I did around October with my IS350 (0 to 60 in 5 secs): https://photos.app.goo.gl/1Tk7RkdwTQtBd7bF8

Anyway I don't know a lot about Mitsubishi's, but I have heard about the Evo is that it revs high, but you can break it if you rev it to much. Dont know if that is true or not. So, one day I want to get my hands on an Accord Sport V6, I just love those engines because they rev to high heaven and never break!

BTW, the NSX is an insane car. If you want to go faster than one of those, you'll never be satisfied!

Last edited:

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Some of you guys are like broken record players spewing every little thing you see online for fact without any actual personal experience. The Type R is not the "Jesus" vehicle you make it out to be, in fact building an Si for straight line speed is dare I say a better choice than getting a Type R and trying to do the same. Throw full bolt ons at a Type R with a tune, and you will quickly realize that the potential is severely capped on this car. After you approach 400whp you're left with a the bogus overpriced fuel system upgrade Hondata offers, or to spend the big bucks for a standalone like Motec. There are reasons an Si has hit a 10 second pass but the Type R has not. Not to mention the price gouging still happening on the Type R on the west coast and other areas, for some reason only east coast dealers are willing to play ball at MSRP to make your argument valid as far as cost goes. I'd much rather pay to build and abuse an L15, than have to rebuild the motor or trans in the R.
Just with a catless downpipe , water meth and Hondata you are 420whp , and the traction is 10 times better, transmission stock clutch etc, no need to upgrade internals and reliable power , so no I don’t think so . But if spend the money make him happy is fine , everybody is free to try or do whatever like it .
Just in mine opinion.

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Good luck with the build! Hopefully it doesn't turn into money pit and costs more money than the straightway speed of the car you are chasing.

Myself and so many friends had spent so much more money than what was anticipated. I learned from my mistakes and the mistakes of others and ended up buying a new CTR with the money I would have spent making my Si as fast as it in a straight line.

It feels nice having a quick car that has warranty. But to each their own, hopefully your build costs as much as you thought it would with the results you want!

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
All setup and ready to take apart the car but it’s a little cold today for my liking.

816F1D8B-21DB-44B4-87E1-A30D4AB3FA99.jpeg
That is a sweet turbo. Don't get greedy on those PSI's unless you intend to build the engine :)

OP
OP
2018Si_NY

2018Si_NY

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 si
Country flag
Good luck with the build! Hopefully it doesn't turn into money pit and costs more money than the straightway speed of the car you are chasing.

Myself and so many friends had spent so much more money than what was anticipated. I learned from my mistakes and the mistakes of others and ended up buying a new CTR with the money I would have spent making my Si as fast as it in a straight line.

It feels nice having a quick car that has warranty. But to each their own, hopefully your build costs as much as you thought it would with the results you want!
Thanks yeah ctr isn’t in my future soon enough still building my credit and need positive equity in the si before I were to trade it in I’m super happy with it so far; i just really enjoy customizing cars and it’s super fun to be able to take on this project. It’s too late to change plans at this point but I still love my si even if it already is a Money pit lol but atleast once I do the built engine the sky is the limit if I want to push the car past that which I probably won’t. Thanks for following

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
All setup and ready to take apart the car but it’s a little cold today for my liking.

816F1D8B-21DB-44B4-87E1-A30D4AB3FA99.jpeg
What size did you go with? Cause I see you have the big shim in for the EWG

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
OP
OP
2018Si_NY

2018Si_NY

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 si
Country flag
What size did you go with? Cause I see you have the big shim in for the EWG
2867r gen 2 also was unsure of how many shims will be needed for the ewg they gave a couple I’m assuming for fitment purposes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2018Si_NY

2018Si_NY

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 si
Country flag
Bottom line for everyone still wondering simply why. Well built not bought. Anyone can buy a type r and throw a easy ots tune and be happy but how many people can say they put the time in to do all their installs and build their car from the start. I really enjoy the si platform and love the coupe style. So on we shall build! Cheers
Sponsored