Type R with Stage 2 Acuity or Acuity full or Hybrid Racing Full Shifter

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Hi All,

Currently, I am with 2019 Type R with Stage 2 Acuity stuff. I am planning to go for full short shifter. Is it recommended to go for full shifter or should I stick with my current setup.

I like Acuity full shifter but only reason I am considering Hybrid racing is it's cheaper and the base has the provisions for factory cable placement. Acuity doesn't have that and all electrical cables will be dangling in the console
Sponsored

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All,

Currently, I am with 2019 Type R with Stage 2 Acuity stuff. I am planning to go for full short shifter. Is it recommended to go for full shifter or should I stick with my current setup.

I like Acuity full shifter but only reason I am considering Hybrid racing is it's cheaper and the base has the provisions for factory cable placement. Acuity doesn't have that and all electrical cables will be dangling in the console
I really like the Full Stage 3 Acuity setup, but I would've stayed with my 2020 CTR shifter + Acuity Stage 2 kit if I could. The 2020 CTR shifter throw is a little shorter than the 2019 CTR and knob height is also lower. With the full Stage 3, everything is very tight. The centering spring is even stronger than the spring they sell separately and it took some time to get used to.

Can't comment on the performance Hybrid's shifter, but I also like how they incorporated cutouts for cable harness clips into their design.

If I was you and wanted something new I'd buy just the 2020 CTR shifter assembly (~$45-60) and swap over the Acuity spring, rocker arm and base bushing.

But if the mod bug bit you hard and you're just itching to spend $400-500, then go for Hybrid or Acuity shifters. Haven't really heard bad things about either of them.

*Protip, if you have Amazon prime and a Chase Amazon card, you can find the Acuity shifter on Amazon and get 5% cash back from your $479 purchase!

OP
OP
saiko21

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I really like the Full Stage 3 Acuity setup, but I would've stayed with my 2020 CTR shifter + Acuity Stage 2 kit if I could. The 2020 CTR shifter throw is a little shorter than the 2019 CTR and knob height is also lower. With the full Stage 3, everything is very tight. The centering spring is even stronger than the spring they sell separately and it took some time to get used to.

Can't comment on the performance Hybrid's shifter, but I also like how they incorporated cutouts for cable harness clips into their design.

If I was you and wanted something new I'd buy just the 2020 CTR shifter assembly (~$45-60) and swap over the Acuity spring, rocker arm and base bushing.

But if the mod bug bit you hard and you're just itching to spend $400-500, then go for Hybrid or Acuity shifters. Haven't really heard bad things about either of them.

*Protip, if you have Amazon prime and a Chase Amazon card, you can find the Acuity shifter on Amazon and get 5% cash back from your $479 purchase!
Thanks. I like my 2019 type R shifter with acuity but only 6th gear is kind of annoying with a more audible clicky sound. I don't know if full shifter eliminates it or it stays the same

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I like my 2019 type R shifter with acuity but only 6th gear is kind of annoying with a more audible clicky sound. I don't know if full shifter eliminates it or it stays the same
Full shifter doesn't have any noise due to a different design to hold the shifter cable bushing in place.

Acuity also recommends tying down the bushings on OEM shifter assemblies to reduce the clicking noise. They have a video showing where to drill holes in the plastic for the zip ties. Also, Perrin sells a shifter cable lock to reduce noise, but it's $85(!).

OP
OP
saiko21

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Full shifter doesn't have any noise due to a different design to hold the shifter cable bushing in place.

Acuity also recommends tying down the bushings on OEM shifter assemblies to reduce the clicking noise. They have a video showing where to drill holes in the plastic for the zip ties. Also, Perrin sells a shifter cable lock to reduce noise, but it's $85(!).
I saw that. Also acuity uses some o- ring bands to hold cables. Hybrid doesn't use that at all

Bennett_Rx

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I recently upgraded my 2020 Si with the 2020 type R shifter, acuity centering springs and acuity base bushings. It was a great difference for the cost.
As of right now, I was unable to justify buying the full Acuity or Hybrid shifter as my car is still otherwise stock (for now) and only used as a daily driver.
Honda Civic 10th gen Type R with Stage 2 Acuity or Acuity full or Hybrid Racing Full Shifter 0A9776B6-BE63-4113-97CB-99CF12481B63

OP
OP
saiko21

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I recently upgraded my 2020 Si with the 2020 type R shifter, acuity centering springs and acuity base bushings. It was a great difference for the cost.
As of right now, I was unable to justify buying the full Acuity or Hybrid shifter as my car is still otherwise stock (for now) and only used as a daily driver.
0A9776B6-BE63-4113-97CB-99CF12481B63.jpeg
upgrade rocker arm then you will great difference with the precision of shifter

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is it completely safe to use a 2020 Type R shifter on a 2019 Si? I know the 2019 and 2020 Type R shifter are slightly different and have different part numbers. I just am paranoid about over stretching the shifter cable.

If we replace with the type r knob as well along with the shifter do we need to change out the boot collar?

Thanks.

OP
OP
saiko21

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is it completely safe to use a 2020 Type R shifter on a 2019 Si? I know the 2019 and 2020 Type R shifter are slightly different and have different part numbers. I just am paranoid about over stretching the shifter cable.

If we replace with the type r knob as well along with the shifter do we need to change out the boot collar?

Thanks.
2019 and 2020 inner rod is of same length. The only difference is the length of outer rod height. 2019 is taller than 2020. You won't have issues with your cable as it's designed by Honda

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
2019 and 2020 inner rod is of same length. The only difference is the length of outer rod height. 2019 is taller than 2020. You won't have issues with your cable as it's designed by Honda
This is partially incorrect. The whole rod may be the same length, but on the 2020 R, it's shifted down so the pivot point is higher on the rod. There is less rod length above the pivot and more rod length below the pivot, compared to the 2017-2019.

Which is why the 2020 R shifter has shorter throws and a lower knob height.

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks guys. I read on one thread on here somewhere posted by Acuity that if we put a short throw adapter on a 2019 type r assembly it would put too much tension on our Si’s cable. That’s why I was asking because the 2020 type R is a shorter shift than the 2019.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks guys. I read on one thread on here somewhere posted by Acuity that if we put a short throw adapter on a 2019 type r assembly it would put too much tension on our Si’s cable. That’s why I was asking because the 2020 type R is a shorter shift than the 2019.
You can't put the Acuity short throw adapter on neither the 2017-2019 CTR shifter nor the 2020 one.

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just ordered the 2020 type r assembly from Honda dealer here. It was $78 cdn. I will swap it out and transfer all my acuity goodies over. Adding up all the costs I would be well under half the cost of the full acuity shifter. I just need to figure out what knob to go with. I’m torn between Type r and acuity Esco. Honda dealer won’t sell me the type r knob as Honda Canada requires a vin number for the order as they only want to sell to type-r owners. It’s also $280 cdn through the dealer. Teknotik sells them for half that for any Canadians out there. Cheers
Sponsored