Type r wing

badassbaldie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport
Country flag
Installed a Type R wing on my son's Sport. Wing was $70 shipped on flea bay, paint supplies were $88 total ($30 of that was for the polished metallic reducer). The clearcoat, primer, adhesion promoter and glossy black (center piece of wing) was all duplicolor in the can. If you don't have access to a compressor and spray gun, Automotivetouchup.com sells the OE colors for $20 a can. One can will be enough for the sides. Center section will use all of one can as well.

All in for everything was $158 total. If you went the color-matched paint in a can, you can probably save yourself another $30-$35.

For the install:

* We just used painter's tape in the locations where the wing was to be mounted (see pic)
* With the wing fully assembled, we used a cloth measuring tape and evened out the mounting locations on both sides.
* Once symmetrical, we traced around the wing base with a sharpie onto the painter's tape
* The wing came with double sided tape templates that are used for sealing the base to the hatch.
* We used the tape templates inside the traced area of the painter's tape to locate the holes
* drilled the holes, mounted the wing...Done!

Virtually no movement on the center wing at speeds over 80 mph on a windy day. I do suggest using 3M double-sided tape when assembling the wing together AND to the hatch of your vehicle.

I still have to wet sand and buff the paint but it turned out pretty well. The polished metal color is slightly darker than the paint on the car but not a big deal.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing spoiler driver side

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing spoiler passenger side

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing wing install

Last edited:

Riley24

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hey guys,

So I recently bought my wing from ABS dynamics and installed it myself, used blue loctite to hold it down and weather stripping between ALL parts too. However after 30 minutes of driving on a highway near Toronto, Ontario, both winglets bolts completely ripped through the base mount and broke the plastic instantly. Good news is that ABS agreed to give me a new one which I was shocked about to begin with, but I wanted to learn more and see where I went wrong in my installation in order not to screw up for a second time.

First time I didn't use the black stabilizers provided so will definitely be using those this time around to help secure it down. And it seems like most guys used 3M tape between all parts so I will do that as well, but I wanted to see if anyone had any other advise on how to keep the base mount and winglet together during high speed drives.

Thanks, all of your cars look amazing!

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing IMG_9002

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys,

So I recently bought my wing from ABS dynamics and installed it myself, used blue loctite to hold it down and weather stripping between ALL parts too. However after 30 minutes of driving on a highway near Toronto, Ontario, both winglets bolts completely ripped through the base mount and broke the plastic instantly. Good news is that ABS agreed to give me a new one which I was shocked about to begin with, but I wanted to learn more and see where I went wrong in my installation in order not to screw up for a second time.

First time I didn't use the black stabilizers provided so will definitely be using those this time around to help secure it down. And it seems like most guys used 3M tape between all parts so I will do that as well, but I wanted to see if anyone had any other advise on how to keep the base mount and winglet together during high speed drives.

Thanks, all of your cars look amazing!

IMG_9002.jpeg
Use 3M tape and don't over-tighten the bolts: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/type-r-wing.21900/post-639198

ahto42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB sport navi plus 1.5T, 2011 Nissan X-trail 2.0 diesel
Country flag
Wife bought the car at sept 2019 and always liked Type-r spoiler looks. I told her that in the US, the ABS dynamic replica is popular. Showed her this thread and she wanted one installed.
Received the package at 20 dec 2019. Big thanks to Eikki from Estperformance buyng it and for putting it on to a containership and sending it across Atlantic.

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing IMG_20191220_114606

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing IMG_20191220_115437

Waited for the snow to melt, shop less busy at corona period and had time to work on the wife's car. Talked to a bodyshop about paint and installing and they agreed to paint and istall it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing IMG_20200413_143528

As recommended here, I used strong body parts tape on the connecting points.
Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing IMG_20200414_121124

At first it was tricky to put the 2 side pieces together with the tape and the protective film removed. Removed the tape and second time I installed only 2 long stripes of the tape, leaved the film in place, just peeled a bit and folded it past the connectin point so I can grab it. Screwed in the 2 bolts in, not tight and carefully peeled the protecting film off. The tighten the bolts.
When tightened the center piece, one rivet nut came loose. :banghead:
So had to buy the inserting tool and went to 8mm rivet nut and bolt to be safe. After that I tightened the remaining 6mm rivets. Especially the bottom ones that will hold to the HB lid. All bolts installed with Loctite 243.

End result is here
Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing IMG_20200414_154421

Used seal window seal at the mating surface.
Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing IMG_20200415_130535

I removed the the plastic covers by my self to save money at the bodyshop.
I gave them the templates wich are foud here. They said that it was no use for them, In they eyes, the placement was way off. Shop manager said, that they taped the hatch, then took four 6mm stud bolts and sharpened one tip like a pencil and screwed in to the holes. Then took manual measurment and pressed the stud tips in to the tape.
I gave the Shop longer, M6x70 bolts with 25mm washers.

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing IMG_20200416_144818

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing IMG_20200416_144827

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing IMG_20200416_160433

Wife is very happy with the end result.

Last edited:

ahto42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB sport navi plus 1.5T, 2011 Nissan X-trail 2.0 diesel
Country flag
One photographer laid an eye on the car and took photos.
Wife saw from the window(at work)that one man is taking pictures of her car. She ran out and asked who and why?
He told that he is a photographer and sopped a good looking car. Offered to send pictures afterwards.

Later in an email he wrote that after looking at pictures he relized that it was not a real type R, but it is still an eyecatch.

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing IMG_2292

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing IMG_2315

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing IMG_2321

suthee1

First Name
Suthee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 2020
Country flag
Do you guys think the type r wings from ABS Dynamics will fit my Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 2020.

Last edited:

suthee1

First Name
Suthee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 2020
Country flag
Another question do you guys think all the type r stuff fit into a hatchback sport 2020. Like example the front bumper and the rear bumper.

kevlovesnoodoh

First Name
KevC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9th Gen Civic
Country flag
The stabilizer bars on the back are interesting, can't decide whether or not I like them :hmm:
Do they help a lot with the flex?
Yeah they’re definitely an acquired taste looks wise but they help a ton with stabilizing the wing and there’s essentially zero flex or bouncing at high speeds so it ended up being worth it for me.
I got inspired by this thread. I've had this Mugen replica spoiler on my 9th gen civic for the last 7 years. I've always had the spoiler wobble at 100km/hr + or anytime I hit a bump. I bought APR performance tie rods and basically did the same steps. There is now no more spoiler wobble!

Procedure:
Self tapped the top end of the rod to the spoiler and drilled a hole in the trunk to bolt down the bottom end. I used a rubber washer and siliconed the nut to prevent any water leakage. Finally I painted the middle cylinder of the tie rod black
Just make sure to do as many measurements and markings as possible. Last thing you want is to have uneven and slanted rods.

Cheers Guys

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing Civicrear

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing Civicside

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing Photo Oct 18, 4 34 32 PM

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing Photo Oct 18, 4 34 42 PM

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
Anyone know what's up with ABSDynamics stock levels? The site says their spoiler is pre-order only and will be back in stock at the end of September but it's nearing the end of October now with no change.

Spencer2131

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
does the wing affect the car any at higher speeds? still love to get one but would hate it if it made the car a bit unstable at high speed
Hey Green, for what it's worth expect your highway mpg to drop about 15/20 mpg. I used to get 45 on the turnpike and now at I'm about 27. ONE TIME I got 40 for like a hundred miles, but it was a fluke from the wind or something. The other big thing is this does wobble. The center piece on the oem is fiberglass and this is abs plastic which is much weaker. I'm not scared about the bolts giving at any point they're loctited (taut?) down. But around traffic especially going 60+ you'll notice the flex in the middle of it. Knowing what i know after installing I'd just buy the oem and get it painted. This is a major spoiler getting impacted by brutal wind, you don't want this breaking off and hurting someone. It looks great though! But if i don't replace it before that day comes I'm really gonna beat myself up over it. Abs says the normal wing does this but I've compared the center pieces... They're trying to sell products remember that. Don't cheap out on this, even if you have to respray.
Sponsored