nrchaytor

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback 6M
Country flag
i got mine from specialty hardware store. Not easy to find you have to keep looking.

I am from Singapore and I got the shoulder washers from Malaysia.
I might just use touch up paint after drilling and mount the wing without them.. how important are the shoulder washers?
Sponsored

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I might just use touch up paint after drilling and mount the wing without them.. how important are the shoulder washers?
If you look on page six you can also opt for rubber washers. I got those from Home Depot. But I’m in the US. I’m guessing most of your local hardware home improvement stores will carry those. Precautions for getting water in your hatch through the whole you made if your not making a good seal with the legs of the spoilers.

nrchaytor

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I did not use the outer portion of the hatch hole to screw in. If I did this the rubber seals will not seal the holes I created when drilling. I screwed in directly to the hatch where I drilled the holes to screw on the spoiler.
Why would the rubber washers not seal the drilled holes if you were to bolt on using both holes?

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why would the rubber washers not seal the drilled holes if you were to bolt on using both holes?
Actually probably stated it wrong it would raise the legs a bit using the the rubber washer causing the 3m tape I used to tape around the edge of the entire leg to possibly not make contact to the rear hatch. So I used the rubber washer inside the hatch where I made the holes when screwing it down. I did buy longer screws. Made sure I had double the protection from water if one fails. 3m tape around the entire leg first protection. Rubber washer. 2nd protection. But had the spoiler on for a year now 0 problems. Besides still sometimes giving my car a double take after parking.

Last edited:

nrchaytor

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Actually probably stated it wrong it would raise the legs a bit using the the rubber washer causing the 3m tape I used to tape around the edge of the entire leg to possibly not make contact to the rear hatch. So I used the rubber washer inside the hatch where I made the holes when screwing it down. I did buy longer screws. Made sure I had double the protection from water if one fails. 3m tape around the entire leg first protection. Rubber washer. 2nd protection. But had the spoiler on for a year now 0 problems. Besides still sometimes giving my car a double take after parking.
Gotcha, the thickness of the rubber washer raised the height so the 3M tape wouldn't stick.. having the rubber washer on the inside may keep water from entering the trunk, but it doesn't do anything to protect the drilled hole from water contact.. I'm gonna try to install it with the rubber washer on the outside.. might just have to use an extra layer or two of 3M molding tape

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Gotcha, the thickness of the rubber washer raised the height so the 3M tape wouldn't stick.. having the rubber washer on the inside may keep water from entering the trunk, but it doesn't do anything to protect the drilled hole from water contact.. I'm gonna try to install it with the rubber washer on the outside.. might just have to use an extra layer or two of 3M molding tape
If you tape around the edge with 3m use one piece. Slowly tape along the raised area. It will create a seal as long as your drilled holes are straight. Doubling up might make it look odd and seeing the tape might not look great. Be sure to put some touch up after drilling and put some thick clear coat.

Applying 3m tape just peal a small amount first or it will stick really hard and good luck on getting it off. Using Honda’s method when applying.

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing 614884CE-613E-4E04-9130-6A32BB4EFE6A

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing BBEC4AA8-C954-4DD6-889E-13E0FB192776

Last edited:

nrchaytor

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you tape around the edge with 3m use one piece. Slowly tape along the raised area. It will create a seal as long as your drilled holes are straight. Doubling up might make it look odd and seeing the tape might not look great. Be sure to put some touch up after drilling and put some thick clear coat.

Applying 3m tape just peal a small amount first or it will stick really hard and good luck on getting it off. Using Honda’s method when applying.

614884CE-613E-4E04-9130-6A32BB4EFE6A.png

BBEC4AA8-C954-4DD6-889E-13E0FB192776.png
Something like this?
Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing 20190704_190133

nrchaytor

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That some good cutting. I did mine in one piece stretching it slightly around. But that’s it!
Perfect! I reckon the rubber washer would definitely be too thick now.. I had foam taped around before but I feel the 3M tape is more substantial.. hopefully some touch up paint with the 3M will be sufficient.. curious if the 3M will provide enough cushion though to prevent rubbing

Last edited:

nrchaytor

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
On another note, did you leave the hole in the center of the winglets empty or did you seal those somehow?

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On another note, did you leave the hole in the center of the winglets empty or did you seal those somehow?
I don’t recall if I covered it, I might have. Just don’t remember. Also, It shouldn’t rub once the 3m tape is stuck and you screw it in, the legs are not moving anywhere. Do the same with the 3m when attaching the fins. You want 0 movement on the entire leg and fins. The hardest part will be positioning the wing before peeling the 3m tape. I think it might be harder if it’s several pieces. But if your good then it shouldn’t be a problem.

nrchaytor

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don’t recall if I covered it, I might have. Just don’t remember. Also, It shouldn’t rub once the 3m tape is stuck and you screw it in, the legs are not moving anywhere. Do the same with the 3m when attaching the fins. You want 0 movement on the entire leg and fins. The hardest part will be positioning the wing before peeling the 3m tape. I think it might be harder if it’s several pieces. But if your good then it shouldn’t be a problem.
I found some thinner rubber washers that should work! Would you recommend using the rubber washer on the inside too replacing the metal washers that came with the wing? Or should I use metal on the inside and rubber on the outside?

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I found some thinner rubber washers that should work! Would you recommend using the rubber washer on the inside too replacing the metal washers that came with the wing? Or should I use metal on the inside and rubber on the outside?
When I got my wing during the time it didn’t come with washers. I bought screws that had a wider end like a washer and placed the rubber washer in. See page six. But you can use the washer and put the rubber one right in front of it. It was a pain to screw in from inside the hatch but that’s where I did it so the rubber washer can make contact directly to the drilled hole. You will just need a long screw driver. If you watch one of mannys video there are rubber ends at the end of the hatch if you drop the screw in which I did several times you can get it back through there. I only used the video as a guide. But the 3m works way better than foam.

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing 58BE5E4C-F1B5-4607-9F3D-DCE2896F3BAB

Last edited:

nrchaytor

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Mounted the wing today.. took a bit of work to get the bolts to thread but manged to get them on there without using the rubber washers.. it feels very solid with the bolts and molding tape.. hopefully the 3M is enough to keep the water out! Really loving the new look!!

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing 20190706_161629
Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing 20190706_161612

nrchaytor

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would like to mention that although the bolts appear to be tight against the washers and feel secure, they can still screw? Is this because they are not sufficiently long? What length bolts did you use? I used M6 65mm but I'm wondering if 75mm may be better?
Sponsored