Deborah
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jdmsportclassics.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 Toyota Cresta Tourer
Country flag
Today we are going to have a run between Type R vs WRX STI.

Two of the most powerful FWD cars on market today. This should be fun.

Since it's all about power, torque, and traction, let's take a look at them first.

Type R has more horsepower but WRX STI has more torque. Type R has 40 more kg curb weight but STI also has less RWD drive which should make it slower to 60mph.

Type R is still FWD so it will loose this battle. But not by much because it has a 7200RPM redline while STI only revs 6000 times per minute.

Let's see the 0-60 times.

Type R is faster by 1.5 seconds on paper but that's enough for WRX STI to stay in front around the corners because of its AWD system.

Let's see them accelerating from 80 to 120mph (129-193km/h) after braking at 40mph. so visit JDM Cars for more information.

Type R makes this distance in 19 seconds and 9/10 th of a second while STI does this run in 22 seconds flat.

They both need to brake at 40mph but Type R has to stop again from 120mph because it's speedometer doesn't go any higher (haha). This is where STI beats Type R by 0.6 seconds.

The length of the straight line is around 400m so it doesn't matter too much which car wins but if we take a look at the power curve, Type R needs 1 second more to reach top speed from 80mph so it's not as good on high speeds as STI. It's also interesting how their top speeds are very similar.
Sponsored

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I was under the impression that the STI was heavier than the Type r by a good 3-400lbs

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Today we are going to have a run between Type R vs WRX STI.

Two of the most powerful FWD cars on market today. This should be fun.

Since it's all about power, torque, and traction, let's take a look at them first.

Type R has more horsepower but WRX STI has more torque. Type R has 40 more kg curb weight but STI also has less RWD drive which should make it slower to 60mph.
type r fk8 curb weight is 185kg or 405lbs less than a 2019 wrx STI

Type R is still FWD so it will loose this battle. But not by much because it has a 7200RPM redline while STI only revs 6000 times per minute.
type r fk8 redline is 7000rpm

Let's see the 0-60 times.

Type R is faster by 1.5 seconds on paper but that's enough for WRX STI to stay in front around the corners because of its AWD system.
type r fk8 is around 5.3 seconds and wrx sti is around 5.0 seconds

Let's see them accelerating from 80 to 120mph (129-193km/h) after braking at 40mph. so visit JDM Cars for more information.

Type R makes this distance in 19 seconds and 9/10 th of a second while STI does this run in 22 seconds flat.

They both need to brake at 40mph but Type R has to stop again from 120mph because it's speedometer doesn't go any higher (haha). This is where STI beats Type R by 0.6 seconds.
type r fk8 top speed is 167 mph or 271 kph.

The length of the straight line is around 400m so it doesn't matter too much which car wins but if we take a look at the power curve, Type R needs 1 second more to reach top speed from 80mph so it's not as good on high speeds as STI. It's also interesting how their top speeds are very similar.
odd and flawed metric
i dont know what resources your using but they are not credible.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
dude lost me at
"Two of the most powerful FWD cars on market today. This should be fun"

haha
Yes i saw too many errors and thought that was a troll comment.

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
It's an advertisement account. Just 2 posts in over a year, both with a link to "jdm cars/classics" in them.

SonicBreezerST160

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sonic Gray Pearl ST Hatchback
Country flag
Not sure what Type R speedometer he saw top out at "120ph", but, mine crossed 135, and was still climbing when I decided to lift (5th gear, in Mexico OC!).
CTR, any day of the week, over ANYTHING Subaru has to offer!???

20ls01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RRRRRRR
Country flag
Not sure what Type R speedometer he saw top out at "120ph", but, mine crossed 135, and was still climbing when I decided to lift (5th gear, in Mexico OC!).
I would take a sti s209 for the sake of resale value in 15-30 years

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeaaahh.... These puppies hit 170 from the factory lol. Anyone I have talked to that ran an STI straight up WALKED them. I have a buddy who struggles to keep up with his STI and tells me I pull away when we get on it. Type R all day every day.

BrandonB

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport Hatch
Country flag
Coming from a former WRX owner. Sure they are phenomenal cars to drive and do great in the snow with the right tires. Daily driving one is so so and maintenance is expensive even doing it yourself.
Sponsored